PDA

View Full Version : Question on Side Impact Protection

nd93
01-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I asked about this in another post, but I don't want it to get lost so I'm going to make it it's own topic. I'm looking at options for my 6.5 yr old ( 47 3/4", 47.5 lbs). In trying to decide between the regent and the monarch (or similar booster), is the SIP offered by the monarch better than the protection of the regent? She is sitting near the window in the 3rd row of our 04 Odyssey, which does not have side air bags.

Thanks!

Scatterbunny
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Keep in mind that in sharing my opinion, I'm speaking from personal experience with both the Parkway and Regent (actually Husky, but it's the same seat), and that I am not a tech, only a parent who has spent the last 3+ years researching all things child passenger safety-related.

I believe the protection a five point harness seat offers is superior to a booster seat, even one with "true side impact protection". The wings on a Regent are NOT small by any means.

My daughter is just a smidge bigger than yours, she's 4 feet tall and 48-50 pounds, and has another 3+ years in a Husky/Regent. That's what she'll use as a primary seat until she can't use it any longer. It's easier to get buckled in that than a booster, I believe it is safer in side impacts and rollovers than a booster because there are two extra points of restraint, which will hold the body in place better and distribute crash forces over more parts of the body.

It's not practical to move the Husky/Regent from vehicle to vehicle often, especially for short trips, so we have a Parkway and a Compass B510 for those short rides.

nd93
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Thank you very much scatterbunny. I appreciate hearing your experience, especially since you have the seats I'm considering and a child the size of mine. It's harder to find info on what people are doing for older kids (like 6 and up).