PDA

View Full Version : something similar to Graco Platinum CarGo Booster?

ctmom
03-01-2007, 09:46 AM
dd#2 is ready to move on from her Roundabout because it is reaching the 6 year limit. It has been almost 3 years since I've researched car seats, so I'm out of the loop on the latest car seat info. When dd#1 moved out of the roundabout we purchased a Graco Platinum, for her and have been very happy with it. I like the ease of adjusting the 5 pt harness, the higher harness limit, that it converted easily to a non harnessed booster and the price. Is there anything similar out there that I should look at or should we just purchased another one for #2.
DD#2 is about 35lbs and 39 inches...
Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

katiesmommy
03-03-2007, 02:40 AM
You could go the same route, or you could try the Safety First Apex 65, has high harness slots, goes to 65 lbs. harnessed, and converts to a booster. I think they usually run around $130. You can find them here, http://www.specialtybaby.com/safety1st.html , You do have to have headrests or high seatbacks to sit behind it though. Otherwise the only other thing I can think of would be the Britax Regent, which harnesses to 80 lbs. and has the highest harness you can find right now, but the price is up there, and no where has them in stock currently. Hopefully Julie or someone equally wise will chime in with more suggestions. HTH.

momtoB
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
The bare minimum recommendation for moving up for a harness seat to a booster seat is 4yrs and 40lbs. At 35lbs she will probably not last a full year in the harness of a 40lb limit combination seat (40lb limit with the harness). The Safety 1st/Cosco Apex might be a very good option for you if your vehicle is compatible (tall headrests, no issues with putting two seats next to eachother because this seat is wide). This seat certainly meets your other requirements. This seat's top harness slots are approx 17" which is comparible to the Cargo you currently own.

OR you could keep her harnessed much longer - by buying a Britax Regent, or even a Sunshine Kids Radian. The Regent has 20" top harness slots and an 80lb limit, but it doesn't convert to a booster. It typically lasts kids until they're 53". Recommended height to move out of a bpb into just a seatbelt is 57" (4'9"). Actually, there's a whole 5-step test to determine readiness for that but I don't want to overload you with too much info! ;)

The Radian has 18" top slots, and there are two models one that is approved up to 65lbs, the other up to 80...but they are the exact same shell and most kids don't need the extra 15lbs of the higher weight limit version. After either of these are outgrown, you can then buy a good dedicated booster seat, like the Turbobooster ($40) or the Parkway ($100).

Hth!

ctmom
03-16-2007, 08:44 AM
thanks for you replies. Right now we have a 2000 Odyssey and 2006 Murano. Is the Apex much wider than the Roundabout? I'm able to sit between the two car seats in the Murano, and would like to still be able to sit there with a new seat. I'm figuring she will be harnessed for another year or so since she is on the same growth chart as dd#1 and dd#1 didn't hit 40 lbs until close to her 5th b-day. They really do slow down between 3 and 5 years old...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Scatterbunny
03-19-2007, 04:44 PM
The Apex is quite a bit wider than a Roundabout.

The CarGo is a great harnessed seat but doesn't make a great long-term booster because it doesn't adjust taller. I'd look at the Evenflo Bolero or Generations if you want a seat that makes a good long-term booster once the harness is outgrown.