PDA

View Full Version : combo carseat booster

ggentile
04-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi-
I'm looking for a combination carseat and booster seat for my oldest son, who just turned 2 in January. My younger son is about to outgrow his infant seat and will need my older son's carseat. My 2 year old is 35 pounds and I know eventually he'll need a booster seat. I thought maybe the combo would save us buying a carseat to hold us over until my son is 4 and 40 pounds. Any recommendations? Thanks

katiesmommy
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
The only combo seat that would even be worth it for you would be the safety first apex 65 (or the 10 other names it goes by), but it needs high seatbacks or headrests behind it. But really harnessing as long as possible is safer and you may find that he hits that 65lbs. long before he's ready for a booster, so keep in mind that he may still need a seat between that one a booster.

momtoB
05-05-2007, 10:46 AM
ITA w/the pp. You really want a seat that will keep your ODS harnessed until at least age five, if not longer.

The Apex is the only "combination" seat that harnesses past 40lbs and converts to a booster. It makes a pretty good harness seat as long as the vehicle has tall enough seatbacks/headrests. It also makes an OK booster because of the open shoulder belt guides. The downsides are that it's very wide so in situations where car seats need to sit side by side it won't work. It also requires the child be 40lbs before using it as a booster (won't be a problem for your 2yr old but just putting that in there for anyone else reading this). Due to it's width, it can also be awkward to use as a booster because kids and parents find it difficult to find the buckle stalk next to the seat.

Check out the Signature biltmore version at www.specialtybaby.com. It has EPP foam in the headrest.

The top harness slots are 17" so longer torso'd kids might still outgrow the harness by age 5 since car seats are outgrown by height once the tops of the shoulders go past the top harness slots.

Here is the list of other Higher Harness Seats to consider:

Higher Weight Limit Car Seats

Forward facing only seats (child must be over age 1, and 22#’s)

Cosco/Safety 1st Apex. Harnesses to 65#’s, then becomes a booster. Top slots are 17 inches high, needs adjustable headrest behind it for support. Retails for $100-130.

Safegaurd GO. Harnesses to 60#’s, becomes a no back booster after. Top slots are 17 to 17.5 inches, needs adjustable headrest behind it for support. Requires top tether anchor. Child must be 30#’s to use. Retails for $179

Britax Regent (used to be Husky). Harnesses to 80#’s. Top slots are 20 inches. Requires a top tether after child is 50#’s. Retails for $220-$260.

Safegaurd Child Seat. Harnesses to 65#’s.Top Slots of 19.5in. Retails for $429.

Ride Safer Vest. A vest that comes in two sizes, Small 35-60#’s, Large 50-80#’s. The vest can be used with lap only belt. Requires top tether anchor. Retails for $89-$99.

Convertible Seats

Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. Harnesses to 55#’s. Made by Britax, basically a dressed down Marathon. Top slots are 17.5 inches. On clearance (discontinued due to low sales) for $130.

Sunshine Kids Radian 65 or 80. Harnesses to 65 or 80#’s (depending on seat). Top slots are 18 inches. Retails for $189-199.

Britax Marathon, Decathlon, or Boulevard. Harness to 65#’s, RF to 33#’s. Top slots of 17 (Boulevard) to 17.5 inches (Decathlon/Marathon). These seats retail for $219 to $299.

hth