PDA

View Full Version : Britax Parkway vs. Graco Turbobooster

sethandsydsmom
05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I have an almost 5 year old who is in a Marathon (he is little; less than 40 lbs) and we want to move him to a booster seat. We are trying to decide between a Britax Parkway and a Graco Turbobooster. I read that the Parkway can slide around some. Do all Boosters do that? BRU doesn't have the Parkway in the store. I guess it is only available online. The Turbobooster also can be converted into a backless one later (which I assume that the Parkway does not do). I am quite confused as to what to do. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

katiesmommy
05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Can I ask why you want to move him to a booster?

sethandsydsmom
05-16-2007, 01:51 PM
We feel like it is time to move him. The boosters seem to start under 40 lbs. His head is about at the top of the Marathon. He is starting kindergarten in the fall and we just feel like it is time. I am also trying to eliminate any potential areas for teasing since he is on the small size already and all the kids will be in boosters! We want to be safe too.

ajweeks
05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Honestly, I would really leave him in the MA until his shoulders are above the top harness slots and/or the tops of his ears are above the top of the shell. A 5 pt. harness is A LOT safer than a booster, especially for smaller kids under 40 lbs. I don't think he'll get teased and if he does, you could just explain to him how it is much safer and even show him crash test videos on how it is safer. Many kids are harnessed beyond 40 lbs. and 5 years old--my 5 year old son being one of them. He is a big boy and outgrew his MA by height so I bought him a Regent. He also rides in a Parkway in our other car, but I prefer him in the Regent because he is safer and wiggles less. He doesn't complain.

If you are set on a booster, I would either get the Parkway or the new Monarch over the Turbobooster. They both provide more side-impact protection, have better padding and adjust taller so fit kids longer. High back boosters are much safer than no back boosters.

Since your son is small, I would let him stay in the MA until he is over 40 lbs. and then think about a booster.

katiesmommy
05-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree, why not just let him stay in the MA until he outgrows it. There are many kids riding in a harness past 40lbs and 5 years old. My brother and sister are still in harness at 7 and 8.5 years old respectivly. And my 10 year old sister still rides in a Husky on occasion. Here's a photo album of kids who have been harnessed longer, so you're ds doesn't feel like he's alone.

http://cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx