PDA

View Full Version : Carseat or Combo-booster for 3yo w/long torso

MomofAlexy
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi!

My DS will be 3 at the end of the month and his shoulders are within an inch of the top slot of his Roundabout, so it's time to think about a new seat. He's about 36" tall, with a long torso, and about 30lbs. I'm looking for a seat with a harness, the tallest possible height range (I'm not nearly as concerned about weight because he's really thin), and preferably something narrower than the Roundabout. Our primary car is a Nissan Altima and our second car is a Mitsubishi Lancer.

I've been reading the boards and am debating whether to splurge on a Radian or larger Britax for the primary car (since he'll use it a long time) or to get an Apex, CarGo or similar. Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!
Marcie

momtoB
09-23-2007, 02:14 AM
The Regent has 20" top slots, but it is a wide seat.

The Radian65 is narrow, and has 18" top slots. From what I've read, I've gotten the imression this seat has more compatibility issues w/some vehicles so I'd want to try before buying. But it may be your best option given your criteria.

The Apex65 is almost as big and wide as a Regent just FYI. My four yr old rides in one in the grandparents Honda Ody ('03) and it fits great in the middle row captn's chair. It has 17" top slots. Ds's current torso height is almost 16" and I'd say he looks like he has about 1-1/2" growing room before his shoulders are even w/the top harness slots (I know that makes no sense but it's funny how you get one measurement up against a wall and see something different actually sitting in the car seat - that's why it's a good idea to actually see the child in the seat, in the car (if possible) before buying.) This seat also requires as tall seatback or flat/adjustable headrest to support it. It's outgrown when the tips of the childs ears go past the top of the vehicle seatback/headrest.

The CarGo has approx 17" top slots too I think, but I have no personal experience w/it. It's a 40lbs limit seat w/the harness.

hth