PDA

View Full Version : Booster as 2nd Seat?

ntrainer
09-12-2007, 03:01 PM
(This is cross-posted from a similar forum in "Baby Bargains," but I realize that there may be some different folks active in this forum and I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.)

Having been to Buy, Buy, Baby twice today (in terrible traffic), I'm loathe to head back for yet another exchange, but having read these boards now that I'm back, I wonder... Here's the situation: I've got a 3-1/4 year-old girl who's going to be in her first official "car pool" with a buddy this year. She's been in a Britax Roundabout since she grew out of the Graco Snugride. She's still perfectly comfortable in the Roundabout, but we definitely don't feel like spending another $220 for another Roundabout just so her buddy can use it 3x a week for a 10-minute ride from school.

We figured that since she fit the age and weight limits for some of the booster seats, we'd buy a booster that either she or her friend could sit in during these short rides. Since the Graco TurboBooster was most highly recommended by "Toddler Bargains," (and since it costs less than $100), we headed out to buy it this morning, only to be confronted by the Graco AirBooster, which I bought instead. When we arrived home and found a few messages on these boards about how the AirBooster was only appropriate for much, much older kids, we went back for the TurboBooster. Saved a few bucks, too. But now I'm noticing that there's a great deal of argument on these boards about whether even the TurboBooster is appropriate for a 3-year-old.

Sigh.

I was hoping to buy this booster, use it sparingly (again, for 10 minutes, 3x week, on local roads with speed limits of 25 mph), and then eventually have it replace the Roundabout when my DD has completely outgrown it. This is clearly the most economical thing to do. But some posters on these boards have me worried I'm taking her life into my hands with this plan! Any thoughts?

momtoB
09-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Three is too young for a booster. I'd get her an Evenflo Chase or Generations/Bolero seat (the Gen/Bolero converts to a better booster than the Chase. The Chase is less expensive seat though), OR a Graco CarGo. These all harness to 40lbs, have nice tall top slots (approx 17"). Unless she's close to 40lbs now, then I'd recommend a higher weight limit harness seat. 4yrs AND 40lbs is a BARE minimum recommendation for moving up to a booster. I know it's "sparing" use but an accident can happen any time, any where. I for one personally would not risk it. jmho

hth