PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone here recommend a good tricycle (or ones to stay away from)?

MarinaTwinMom
04-04-2002, 02:29 AM
If there's a particular trike you'd recommend (or one that you'd recommend we avoid), please let me know. What do you like/dislike about the trike?

We're going to be buying trikes as birthday presents for our twins, but we're having a tough time deciding which brand and model to buy. So far, our top choices are the Kiddie-O Supertrike 3, the Kettler Combi, the Kettler Happy, and the Schwinn Bumblebee and Butterfly. We haven't seen any of these in person, so we're going with the info we've been able to find on the Internet. (I really wish our area had more stores that sell things like this, so we could just take the twins and have them try out a store model before buying! Sigh.)

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!

Hooahmom
04-14-2002, 03:16 PM
Hey! I am in EXACTLY the same spot! I would LOVE some good advice on tricycles! We have boy/girl twins who will be 3 in June. We want to buy them trikes that are sturdy & safe and would fit them! So far, there is alot I like about some of the Kettler options, but fear most of them to be too large for my very petite daughter, and her brother. I haven't seen the Schwinn offerings but will look them up. I do know that many of the radio flyer models are shoddily constructed.

I am looking forward to reading advice from someone who has perhaps navigated this already??!!!!!

Theresa, A.K.A. Hooahmom, proud Mom of outstanding twins, Lawson & Grace

Adickman
07-30-2002, 12:39 PM
I bought the Kettler Air Happy for my 1-year old. Once we put it together it wasn't as large as it seemed in the picture in the catalog. I called Kettler to get the low-down on all their different models and found that some (like the Combi) don't actually stop the pedals from turning when the parent is pushing using the push bar. I decided on the Air Happy because it was for a one-year-old and it had the higher seat back, the parent-controlled steering, the motionless pedals, and the lowest price with all those features. I purchased the push bar and seat belt for an additional price. So far we really like it, but it hasn't truly been tested yet, since my son is too young to use it on his own and I (usually) steer clear of walls and stairs and other fun obstacles like that. I'm sure it will get it's share of collisions next summer.
Anneliese

luvbeinmama
08-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Just bought the Kiddi-O trike (I think the 2... it's the one with the step on the back instead of the "basket" tray) about 1-2 months ago for my now 2 1/2 year old. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it!!! I put it together at the smallest setting and it fits him perfectly. He is about average on height & weight for his age.

My mom was given a trike by Fisher Price for him to use and it is just way too large for him; even after my dad altered the seat to actually sit on the bar.

rachelfran
08-02-2002, 06:43 AM
my girlfriend just got this one for her one year old

http://store.yahoo.com/brandsmall/0173-268100.html

too young to pedal on her own it works great as a stroller right now - with the option to hold the front wheel still or allow it to turn at the child's will.

jil
09-04-2002, 12:41 PM
After tons and tons of research we bought a Kettler Jumbo trike for our 2 year old. These are the features I was looking for and found with the Jumbo: 1. it has a low center of gravity so it won't tip over if they make a sharp curve 2. It is adjustable so he'll be able to use it for the next 4 years, even with growth spurts. 3. It has a tippable basket in back so he can carry his gear, or we can keep a water bottle there during walks. 4. It comes apart very easily and without tools, so we can pack it with the rest of our baby gear when we take weekend trips to the grandparents house 5. We were able to get the optional pushbar because we enjoy taking walks around the neighborhood. A very unique feature of the Jumbo is the "freewheeling" feature which locks the steering and which allows you to put the trike into stroller mode just by pushing down a switch. I didn't appreciate how important this was unti I pushed our neighbors Kiddio Supertrike 4. The toddler was able to undermine my steering by turning the handle back and forth. Also the pedals kept hitting her shins because they continued to turn. 6. We bought the optional seatbelt as well so our son wouldn't jump off the trike during our walks. 7. I believe this is the only trike that also has a tandem option. We plan on purchasing a tandem seat for the trike when our next child is able to sit up. I highly recommend this for parents of twins who like to take walks as well.