PDA

View Full Version : double stroller specifications

Jil
02-07-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm 8 months pregnant and have a 2 1/2 year old son. The things that are important to me in a double stroller are weight and ease of use. I would love to have one that would accomodate an infant seat, but I haven't seen ANY models under 20 pounds that will do so yet. I think the Combi might be the only side by side with full recline for newborns. I've heard that manufacturers don't want to outfit side by sides with car seat attachments yet because car seats will weigh down one side to the extent that the stroller becomes difficult to steer. However I've heard from some moms who just place their car seat in their side by side stroller anyway, even if it wasn't meant to hold one.
I've been researching like crazy looking for specifications on the best models, and am surprised at how much lack of information and misinformation there is out there when it comes to specifications on these strollers. I'm not sure if these specifications are completely accurate, but here's what I've gleaned from various websites.

Graco DuoRider - 23 lbs; 30.5 inches wide x 29 x 41 in height

Peg Perego Twin Aria - 14-18 lbs; 30w x 30.25 long

Baby Trend SitNStand LXI - 25 lbs; 38.5 x 21w x 46

Maclaren Twin Traveller - 23.8 lbs; 28.7 x 41.3

Combi Twin Savvy - 19 lbs; 31 x 35 x 39

Mountain Buggy Urban - 32 lbs; 29w x 41

Kolcraft Reclining Double Umbrella stroller - 20 lbs

I hope this helps others who are comparision shopping. As you can see the manufacturers don't have a consistant way they deal with the specifications of their strollers, which is surprising because I would think these things are important for mothers trying to visualize a stroller they are buying online. These are all side by side models except the Sitnstand, which seems shorter than regular tandems, but I've heard that in actuality they are not. Tandem models just seem too cumbersome to me, and I still recall the huge hassle it was to lug my 30 lb Evenflo travel system stroller out of my trunk every time I went out with the first baby. I'm considering dragging out the travel system anyway and just outfitting it with a Buggy/Kiddie board for my son to stand on, but I'm not sure if that will be comfortable with a horizontal stroller bar, as opposed to umbrella handles to stand between. I'm so frustrated because we've purchased 4 strollers for various purposes in these 2 1/2 years, and I wish there was some miracle stroller out there that was good for travel and easy to steer and that's comfortable for kids newborn to 4 years old, and I would never have to buy another stroller again.

I would love some input from anyone else going through this.

Jil
Dheven 29 mo
Asha edd 3/25/03

Strollerqueen
02-18-2003, 06:20 AM
Four, LOL! I have totally been there, done that! In fact, I don't even KNOW how many doubles I've had! Let's see--Combi Twin Savvy, Gozo, Mountain Buggy Terrain, Emmaljunga Husky w/toddler seat, Kiwi Explorer, Graco Duolite, Kidco Citilite, Emmaljunga double Husky, Perego Microtwin, Maclaren Vogue Duette, Mountain Buggy Double Urban.

Ugh. How many is that? Don't make me count the singles, LOL!

Connie
03-10-2003, 06:19 PM
With your experience, which double stroller would you suggest? I'm partial to the tandem (not side-by-side which seem of limited use in stores) double stroller configuration, but am starting to look into the options. I'm 8 mo pregnant with a 16 mo old (avg sized) daughter. Loved the Graco Citilite single stroller, but with #2 on the way, a double stroller looks like a necessity!

sarsah
03-15-2003, 10:47 PM
I am in a similar situation as you are, Jil. My DS will turn 3 about a week after my due date with DS#2.

I ended up buying a Graco DuoGlider that I found on clearance at Target (paid around $65). At first, I opted not to get a double at all, but I know I will need it sometimes. I did not want to spend a lot of money becuase I know I will not use it very much as DS#1 is very tall for his age and won't fit comfortably for too long, also he would must prefer to walk, rather than ride in a stroller.

For $65, I could not pass it up.

You may want to look at the Sit and Stand stroller. However, my friend has one for her 3 year old and 6 month old and doesn't use it very much because she says it's too big and bulky (her one and only stroller is a Combi saavy).

Sarah....