PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller Month!!

DagnyT
02-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I am looking for a double stroller that will work well for a newborn and a toddler who will turn two two weeks after the baby's birth (Aug '03)- and hopefully something that will last a while- as long as I can push it!! I mainly run errands, walk in my neighborhood- no sidewalks but paved, and meet DH for lunch downtown.

I prefer the tandem/stadium style. I do not want to spend in excess of $300! I have looked at the graco DuoGlider- I already have two Century Smartfit infant car seats and would prefer not to repurchase car seats simply for the purpose of fitting a stoller! I have looked at Jeep- and frankly like it but have read mixed reviews on its durability and performance. Having the carseat fit in the stoller is important to me, I used that feature a lot on my Combi during Ds's first year. So to sum up:

Any good suggestions for low to moderately priced tandems?

Any experiecne with Jeep?

Any work on putting a Century into the graco Duoglider? I called and both companies said don't, but I am sure that was for liability reasons!

Thanks!!

DagnyT

Rebecca
02-11-2003, 08:30 PM
I have the Caravan Lite by Baby Trend (Swan). I like it and I think it takes your carseat. I found it easier to steer than the Graco and the Perego tandems. I think it is about $200. My kids are each about 21 months apart and it worked well with each new baby. I also used the carseat option all of the time. I have a Graco carseat and I didn't even use the adapter bar, I just lay the carseat in the backseat of the Caravan Lite.

mary b
02-12-2003, 10:29 AM
I haven't seen that one yet. Where did you get it??

Thanks!!!

mcades
02-12-2003, 03:18 PM
We are in very similar situations - my #2 is due in May & will be 23 months behind #1. I also loved my Combi perfect match for #1 with my Century SmartFit seat. So far, I've found that the SF will fit in the DuoGlider (it'll need to be strapped in - Home Depot, here we come). But, the DuoGlider is too big for my car, a Saturn SW2 (not L-series). Now, I'm looking at the Carter's delux tandem. The SF just fits into the back - not as snug as in the Graco - & will definitely need me to rig a strap for it. But, the Carter's folds much smaller than the Graco. I ruled out the Jeep b/c it's really long - longer than the Graco! Keep me posted on what you decide!

Michelle

Tondi G
03-05-2003, 05:57 PM
You can find the baby trend Caravan lite at The Right Start! you can also call their customer service and ask where else they are sold! Good Luck!

Here is a link for one!

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=14708&catid=115

~Tondi

Jacks Mom
03-16-2003, 01:07 PM
I am in the same sort of situation. I have a son that will be 20 months when baby #2 is born in October. I too have a Century Smartfit Infant car seat. I was just at Baby Depot and saw a new stroller that I had never seen before. It is made by Carter's and looks almost exactly like the Duo Glider. --Nice big wheels for easy steering. Big basket underneath. Trays for kids and mom. But it folds down smaller because you can lean the front hood back into the carriage. Plus, there is a zipper on the side of the basket so you can reach items at the front of the basket. And the back of the basket easily detaches so that you can get a big diaper bag into it. Now for the REALLY great part, it is a univeral system and works with the Century Smartfit car seats!!! And it only costs $129.

My only hesitation is that I have never seen it anywhere else and have no idea how reliable the quality of Carter's strollers are. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Gillian
in NH --with lots of snow where big stroller wheels are important.

Roni
04-14-2003, 12:10 PM
I also live in NH & have a Century Smartfit. My daughter will be 3, though, when my baby is born in August. According to Baby Bargains, Carter (& Jeep) are made by Kolcraft. They gave Kolcraft a B-, but they also gave Baby Trend a B-. I don't have any personal experience with either, but I'm also intrigued with those two options, as well as the Jeep Wagoneer. Mountain Buggy also sounds like a good option for our NH winters, but it's an expensive brand, & I don't think the double takes an infant seat. (Does anyone know about that?)

sarsah
04-18-2003, 11:07 PM
I am in a similar situation with a toddler who will turn 3 just about the time the new baby arrives.

I purchased a Graco DuoGlider from Target a few months back when they were on clearance. I have a Century Smartfit Plus 22 infant seat and it DEFINATELY does not fit into the Duoglider -- we tried just about everything and can not make it work at all. I am curious to hear from those who got it to work as to how they did it. I thought about purchasing a new Graco infant seat, but it seems silly to do so for the few times I'd want to use it with the DuoGlider. My 3 year old grew out of the infant seat at 6 months anyway, due to height, so I just can't see spending the money on something that won't be used for very long.

I also have a Combi perfect match which I'm sure will get a lot of use when my 3 year old isn't with us and a Peg Perego Pliko which my older son can ride on the step bar on the back. I guess the Pliko will have to do when I need to leave the baby in his infant seat. Otherwise, I'll use the DuoGlider and take the baby out of his car seat. My neighbor has a Grado Snug Ride which she's offerend to let me borrow if I need it, so maybe if I have a real need to use the DuoGlider with the baby in his car seat I can do that.

Sarah...

Roni
04-19-2003, 06:20 PM
I am now leaning towards Baby Trend's "Sit 'n' Stand LX Stadium", but a lot of people are saying that the Sit 'n' Stand is hard to steer. I'm also not sure how it will hold up on my dirt road, or If I'll be able to fit it into my car. But other than that... Truthfully, nothing else seems to be fitting the bill. It has to take a Century and be durable enough for a dirt road and not too heavy (that's my concern about the Jeep).

I did stop someone at the Y the other day who had a Sit 'n' Stand & was very happy with it. It could be something for Dagny T to look into.

Also, on the Baby Bargains message board, people are talking about Safetech. I've never heard of it before. Does anyone know if it is a company or the name of a stroller?

ginalc
04-21-2003, 07:27 AM
The Safetech is a side-by-side double stroller available through e-bay. It is similar to the Instep Safari Double, only a little cheaper. The stroller sells for $168.88 plus shipping.

I don't know if the stroller takes an infant carrier, but it does have a removeable napper bar. You may want to follow the posts on Baby Bargains regarding the Safetech. One of the moms recently purchased it for a similar situation and was really pleased.

I recently purchased a Mountain Buggy Urban Double and cannot tell you how AWESOME it is to have a stroller that pushes easily with 2 little ones. Mine are 25 months apart and I tried to avoid the whole double stroller issue but found I needed something reliable and easier to push than a tandem.

With a stroller with air-tire front-swivel wheels, you barely need to push the stroller at all, even fully loaded. It just seems to push itself. You can go up and over curbs, gravel, through grass, you name it, with ease. For outdoor use, the Safetech and Instep Safari double are fine. They are each 32 inches wide. For indoor use, the MB is better as it is only 29 inches wide and will fit through most any door easily.

I agree, the MB price tag is hard to swallow, but when you have 2 children, this will make your life easier. Much easier.

If you are still sold on the tandem idea, try the Kiwi Explorer. Same sort of air-tire wheels, but still a tandem stroller.

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

Roni
04-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all of your help! I wish I could see the Mountain Buggy in person. I had discounted it because of the price (I'm having a hard time convincing DH that we need a double) and the fact that it's not infant-seat compatible, but I don't think I used that feature that long w/ my first. Can you use the MBUD/MBTD for an infant w/out any of the accessories? Also, how long will my 3-year-old use the double?

Tondi G
04-21-2003, 06:49 PM
some kids see the baby riding and want to ride other see it and say I am not a baby and want to walk!!! You never know! Does your older child still nap occasionally if you are out all day in the stroller say at an amusement park or the Zoo? If so then you want a double that will accomodate your toddler and your infant for a little while... the MB should do just that! The MB has enough of a recline for an infant and it you get one of those stroller fleece accessories it will be perfect... keeps baby comfortable, warm in wimter, cool in summer! I actually got my first look at a MBUD the other day... it was a couple with a set of infant twins... they looked VERY comfortable in the MB and the parents and grandparents seemed pleased manuvering through the crowds!!!! I would say that the double will make your life easier if you plan to go out with both kids alone!!!! I know my girlfriend couldn't live without her double with 2 kids under 3! I have a friend who's 5 year old still asks to ride if there is a seat available in a stroller when we're out at the Zoo etc.!!!! You can always plan to use 2 single strollers at first one for your toddler and one that will accomodate you infant seat.... when you are done with the infant seat then get the double!!! Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

ginalc
04-22-2003, 11:30 AM
I would recommend using some sort of sunshade in the MBUD for the newborn. There's the Solarveil, or the Sunshade that MB sells. Check Baby Bargains Search board for more info on these sunshades.

I didn't get much use out of my infant carrier/seat with my babies either. I didn't like to leave them in the carrier when I was out and about because I don't think they provide much room for stretching on long outings. My kids always got so hot and sweaty in theirs too. I only wish that I had gotten my MBUD sooner. I could have gotten out of house MUCH earlier!

All of my children outgrew their infant carrier/seat by 4 months. My DS actually outgrew his by 3 months of age.

I bought 4 double strollers and found the MBUD to be the best. The others just can't even compare. It's kind of like comparing a Yugo to a brand new MiniVan. Both will get you there, just a HUGE improvement in ride and comfort (for mom and baby!). :)

gina, mom to 3

tylerr25
05-01-2003, 01:34 PM
I was all set to buy the Baby Trend Sit and stand b/c it would accept my infant car seat when the salesgirl at The Right Start showed me that with the infant car seat in the front it made the back seat (where child number 2 would have to sit) incredibly cramped. This made me change and I ended up with the Peg Perego Aria side by side.

Good Luck!

Roni
05-01-2003, 03:02 PM
I ran into the same problem when I saw it in person. My dd liked the Jeep Wagoneer, but I think it's too big & too heavy for my purposes. I think Gina & others have talked me into the MBUD. Your feedback helps confirm my decision. I wish I could find something suitable that would take the carseat, but I do still have the Combi Ultra Savvy. Thanks!

SarahD
06-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Older Century Smartfits will work in Duogliders I believe but not newer ones. Smartfits made in 99 or earlier will--I believe. This is also true of the Baby Caravan Lite strollers...they will not accept Smartfits made after 1999. I took my Century Smartfit (which was manufactured in 2001) to BRU and sure enough...there is NO way that carseat is fitting in the Duoglider at all. Just thought I'd pass along this info.

Sarah

Edited to add: I have a Century Smartfit Plus 22v to be exact

DagnyT
06-29-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up on how the different year SmartFits work, or don't! We have two, one we bought in '01 and one that was given to us by a friend and had been purchased some years earlier, the former is markedly larger than the latter. At this point I am tempted to forego the double, become proficient at using a sling or front carrier and put my nearly 2 year old in the stroller he has always used (a Combi), and which can be used for the carseat in case I am out with the new baby w/o my son! I would then consider getting a higher end double for when the new one is a little older depending on my older one's desire to ride in the stroller and how much use I think I would really get from it.

I would love to see a quality "car seat universal" stroller in the $225 to 325 range- there is such a gap b/w the low end and (what seems to me) to be the super high end.

Also thanks for throwing in the info on the Caravan- that would have been one of my next considerations!