PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Volo vs. Maclaren Triumph

Rosamia
04-18-2003, 09:54 AM
I am looking for yet another really lightweight stroller. My husband is going to strangle me for buying another stroller!!

I have two kids, 2 1/2 and 6 months. I bought a Maclaren Twin Traveller for times when I have both kids with me. But I also want something light that I can just throw in and out of the car easily when I have just one child with me.

I know the volo is only 8.3 lbs and doesn't recline and you would have to buy an accessory package separately for about $50 (hood, seat cover, rain cover)and the triumph is 11.3 lbs or so and reclines to two positions. The reviews on the volo are great, but I haven't been able to find any on the triumph. There's a $50 difference in price between these two and the triumph comes with the hood, raincover, and seat cover. so I guess the two strollers would cost about the same amount once the accessory package is bought. so i guess the main difference is that one reclines and one doesn't and the weight.

Does anyone have any preferences one vs the other? Does anyone out there own either of these strollers?

lvp49
04-18-2003, 11:21 AM
I don't have either of these strollers, but LOVE my Vogue, which makes me a huge Mac fan. I am considering the twin traveller (really really my first choice) for my to be 2.4 year old and infant not yet here. Please tell me how you like it.
> do the children have enough room?
> how does it fit through doorways?
> Is it 2002 or 2003?
> anything you would do differently?
> Any and all complaints PLEASE!!

Now for your question, I think that once you add the accessory package you will probably be up to 10 lbs. For the same price and very little weight difference (if you are going to keep all pieces of the accessory package with the stroller) I would go for the recline on the Triumph. You will probably be glad you did the first time your baby falls asleep in the stroller.

PS I think someone on the parentsplace stroller board had a similar question recently. I can't swear, but it seems familiar. You may want to check it out.

momathome
04-18-2003, 01:38 PM
I agree! The recline is such an important feature, particularly for your infant. I also have a Vogue and I love it! This stroller works well for both my 2 year-old and my 5 year-old. Another reason I would recomend the Triumph - it has a 45lb weight limit, while the Volo has only a 40lb weight limit. This could really make a difference in how long you are able to use your stroller - it will probably add a good 6 months! Good luck!
-Lauren

rosa
04-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the input. The recline is a great feature and I know it will most likely come in handy!

Now for your questions:
1. The children do have enough room. The seats may be narrower than some other larger double strollers out there, but I feel the weight of the stroller, durability, and quality outweigh that.
2. It fits through standard doorways. I haven't found any problem getting through doorways yet, but it has been a squeeze through some. I prefer the side-by-side stroller over the front-to-back (tandem) because I find the SBS easier to maneuver. With the tandem stroller I find I have to throw my whole body into turning it.
3. I bought the 2003 model. If you do get the Maclaren Twin Traveller don't buy the 2002 and older models because the seats are narrower through the shoulder area which would certainly make it uncomfortable for your toddler. I had initially bought a Mac Opus Duo on Ebay and found it very narrow through the shoulder area as well and my toddler looked like he was squeezed into the seat. The 2003 model was reconfigured so that the shoulder area is wider. My toddler looks very comfortable in it.
4. I would definitely not do anything differently. I had also looked at the Combi Ultra Savvy and liked the features of this stroller, but when I tried it out it just didn't feel as sturdy or durable as the Mac. It felt quite flimsy and had a side-to-side shaky motion that I didn't like. The twin traveller turns soo easily.
5. The only complaints I have would be that it doesn't fold super easily, but it's not hard by any means. It's a lot easier than some heavier strollers out there. It weighs about 23 lbs or so, not bad when you consider some double strollers weigh 40 lbs! Also, you can push it with one hand if you have to, but it doesn't steer as easily with one hand as a stroller with one continuous handle. The 2002 model has three handles (two on the outside and one in the middle) which makes it easier to push with one hand because of the center handle. The 2003 model does not have the middle handle, but the outer two handles are turned in a bit so that makes it a little easier to steer with one hand. If you look at the 2002 vs. 2003 model you'll see the difference in the handles.

Good luck!
I hope that helps.

lvp49
04-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Thank You!! I'm glad to hear about the door thing, because that was my husbands chief complint about it, it would'ny fir through doors, because when he measured, we used the wheel base instead of the stroller frame, so said it wasn't 28.8 inches like Mac said. I thaought the same thing about the Combi. In fact, I think that everytime I look at them, single or double. I know some people love them, but the feel flimsy. I actually thought the same thing about the Aria Twin from Perego, who I usually love. I guess I need that strudy feeling weight.

Now I think I want a P3 along with my TT. I don't know how I'm going to sneak that one in!!

Thanks again, and enjoy!!

Tondi G
04-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Go for the Triumph or Quest or Daytripper over the Volo... the recline and the hood are worth the extra expense... the volo accessories are a boring grey!!!!

the daytripper is on sale at Babies R Us and also check out e-bay for good deals on Macs!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!