PDA

View Full Version : Corsaire vs Cougar - having trouble deciding (m)

ilovemyboyz2003
08-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. Thank you for all the valuable information I found in the archives. I had never even heard of Chariot . . . thought for sure I wanted a Burley but when I compared the D'Lite vs even the Cougar, it was a no brainer.

Anyway, we will are buying primarily a bike trailer, although having an outdoor double stroller is an added plus. I am going to get the stroller wheels.

I was able to see the Cougar but cannot find the Corsair anywhere. The price difference is only about $15. Michelle at Baby-Outfitters said that the Cougar has a better suspesion system, but I thought there were some other major differences between the two lines.

Is the Corsaire wider? Does it have different harnesses?

Could someone who is familiar with both (or at least has seen both) offer me any input. I am dying to pick one and order it. We just got bikes the other day.

P.S. I have a 4.5 year old and a 10 month old.

Thank you.

~Paige

KathyO
08-18-2003, 02:39 PM
The main difference between the two is that the Corsaire is primarily a bike trailer that can also be a stroller, whereas the Cougar is primarily a stroller/jogger that can also be a bike trailer. Soooo... there are a whole bunch of small, subtle differences that favour one function slightly over another.

For example, the Cougar has a slightly more reclined position for the riders, as part of creating more "stride room" for the person pushing it. The Corsaire, on the other hand, has less "stride room" and more cargo space behind the seats, and the wheels are set closer to the centre of the cabin, and canted inwards slightly, to make them balance and ride just a little more nicely in "trailer" mode. And so on.

Both items function well in their "alternate" role, so really, you can't go too far wrong either way. According to the specs, the Corsaire is just an inch wider than the Cougar, so no big diff there. The harnesses are pretty much the same. The Cougar has a slightly cushier seat, but putting down a folded towel on the seat in the Corsaire eliminates that difference.

I'm pretty tall (5'10"), so for me the dealbreaker is the stride room behind the Corsaire. I can manage it, but I figure to walk as much as I bike, and I find it juuuuust annoying enough that I prefer the Cougar. However, since you want a bike trailer first, the Corsaire may be the thing for you.

Happy deciding!

Cheers,

KathyO

MarieMW
08-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Kathy, your imput has been tremendously helpful... Have you bought your jogger/trailer yet? I'm still debating. My brother has an older Burley d'lite which my children 5 and 2 had a blast in! I've been doing research and the Yakima Caddy Yak looks like a good buy too with a higher denier count than even the Burley. I'm just starting to get back into shape with the birth of my last child this June. The prices on all these trailers is out of this world, but I'd hate to think I'd skimped and bought a cheaper one at the risk of my children's safety. I'd appreciate any imput others out there have on this subject.

MarieMW
08-20-2003, 04:16 AM
http://www.bicycletrailers.com/
Check out the 2003 Burleys and the Yakimas
as well as cheaper alternatives

Mommy2Q
08-20-2003, 09:09 AM
HI,

I have the Cougar. I also already had an outdoor jogger, but decided to go with the Cougar cause the sales person said if you do plan on using it as a stroller in any way that we are better off with the cougar becuase of the design. We have been more then happy with our choice. I actually am trying to sell our jogger because I find the cougar easier to push and steer then my single stroller!! It is so light and manuverable and I love that I can pack it up with snacks, sand toys and other things for our outings!! I am sure that what ever one you choose you will be happy with it!!!