PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TRICYCLE

lea
11-14-2003, 02:01 PM
My son is about ready his first tricycle. I know they have some with things that look like "training sticks" which can be removed.. Have any of you bought one you really like? hate? suggest?

Thanks,
Lea

sarasprings
11-22-2003, 11:00 PM
We had the Radio Flyer #44, which has the stick and the lockable steering. I didn't like it at all because the trike steered anyway. We now have #45 (which is at Target) which is the single bar that allows me to steer. That works much better for us.

I like having the parent bar because DS is a bit young to control the bike on his own -- actually, he's too short to pedal. Anyway, besides allowing him to ride the trike now, we are able to use it downtown or in places that aren't safe for him (or others around us).

hipmaman
11-22-2003, 11:29 PM
We like the Kettrike as first tricycle.

Most Kettrike models (they have several) have the lock so the front wheel can not be swivel when used with the push bar. It does work. But the beauty of the Kettrike is that while the lock is engage, you would push the trike, but your toddler can still pedal at his/her own pace (there is a lock by the pedal/front wheel that you pull out). Most other trikes prevent a toddler from pedalling or the pedals would go be determined by the pace of you pushing. The kettrike is independent of mom's pace.

Again, most Kettrikes have the adjustable frame so that you and adjust the trike accordingly to your child's leg length. Some trikes cannot do this and sometimes the pedal is just too far away for a toddler.

The Kettrikes are also low to the ground (low centre of gravity) and is not tippable. There are so many other wonderful features on the Kettrikes that we made us bit the bullet and bought the Happy Trike 3 yrs ago for our dd. It is now used by our ds and still looking so nice and new. Oh, that's another thing, non-chip paint.

Melanie
11-26-2003, 06:08 PM
How interesting, I hadn't thought about Ds not being able to pedal if we were pushing...

We have this trike (Radio Flyer 34 P):
http://www.radioflyer.com/trikes/trikes_34P.html

but it's for Christmas so it's still in the box. I wanted one that looked like a traditional trike, but I'll check out the kettrikes, I've never really payed any attention to them.

MelissaTC
11-27-2003, 01:29 PM
We have the Kettler Air Happy and love it. DS loves to sit on it and I put his feet on the pedals. We have the push bar so I push him around the cul-de-sac while he rings his bell. I can't wait for him to pedal himself! I love this tricycle for many reasons but one in particular is the adjustable frame. DS is on the smaller side and he can reach the pedals perfectly. Well worth the money, imho.

newbelly2002
12-08-2003, 04:27 AM
I've been doing a lot of research on this very question as we're looking for one for our son as well. While Kettler has a stellar reputation, and most people seem happy with the older models, be aware that here in Germany they just failed one of the safety tests. New regulations require more wide padding on the edges of the handlebars and Kettler is not doing this. There is also some question as to whether they are continuing the independant locking, pedaling mechanism. The rumor is that with their expansion in the past few years, their kid-line is being slighted in favor of their adult sporting equipment. I was all set to buy a Kettrike and quite surprised to here this from the "trenches" (a number of specialty bike shops). Everyone seems to be reccomending a "Puky" but I dont' know if they are available in the States. Just FYI.

Good luck!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

spa
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't think we can afford a Kettler and trying to decide between the Radio Flyer #45 (Steer & Stroll); #47 (Voyager) and #48 (Family Trike)... What is the benefit of having air tires (#48), and what's the deal with the stroller-style pushbar instead of the tubular push bar? This is for my 22-month-old son's Christmas present, so any answers are appreciated!