PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on a double stroller

suzindrew
11-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Baby #2 is due Jan. 27, and ds will be 2 yrs 8 mos. I'm looking for a double stroller for things like going for walks, trips to the mall, zoo, etc. I know that I'll need the front to back style so that we can use the car seat with it. I guess my question is if the Peg Perego is worth the extra money over the Graco? Or if there's any other brands that are highly recommended I'd consider those as well.

Thanks,
Sue

hipmaman
11-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Hi,

You might want to reconsider the tandem choice though. Most of us tend to think the same way to do, but once trying to push a tandem and a side-by-side, there is a remarkable difference in manueverability.

Tandem is long and has the heavier weight child in the front, so pushing and steering is harder than a sbs double. The common worry about sbs is the width to fit through doors. But most better-made sbs do have width that would fit through doors. The optimum width should be 30" wide to fit through standard doors.

Another problem is the tandem is that the front seat usually has a lower back (Graco, Jeep, Cosco, except Peg) and don't recline fully (all, except the Peg Duette). So, if your first still nap or needs to rest his head, he is out of luck.

Tandem also don't give the best view, sibling fighting and hair-grabbing seem to be the biggest concern here too, lol. Sbs gives both kids the equal space.

While a tandem gives you the flexibility of using the carseat but the carseat phase is often short-lived, compared to the time you would need a double stroller for 2 kids after the carseat.

The only 'tandem' that I would recommend would be the Kiwi Explorer (2002 model) or the Kiwi E3 (2003 model). If you go to the Baby Bargains Book/Strollers forum, there are plenty of discussion on this stroller.

Otherwise, I say go to a store and try to push a tandem and a sbs to feel the difference in manuverability.