PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Side-by-Side with a toddler?

Sue P
12-07-2003, 09:38 PM
We're looking for a double stroller. We have a 2 1/2 year old boy (tall 38" and thin 30lbs) and a 6 month old. We're leaning toward the Maclaren Rally Twin but our main concern is whether it's too small our growing toddler? There's not much room between the shoulders, but is that a big deal? He seems fine sitting in it at the store. We'd like get a few years use out of it so we're wondering how practical a side-by-side is as the kiddies get older? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sue

Roni M.
01-05-2004, 01:59 PM
We have a Mountain Buggy Terrain Double that we use w/a baby & a 3 1/2 year old. It's fine, so far. Of course, different strollers have different dimensions, & I don't have any experience w/ Maclaren. I hope someone can help you, there. Good luck!

Gayletmomto4
01-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Sue,
You might try to do a search on double strollers on the Baby Bargains forum on Places to Go. I researched this topic a few months back and recall that there were several threads where people discussed how the various doubles, including the Macs and the MBUD, fit their toddlers. For some reason that forum seems to get a lot more traffic.
One thing I recall is that some thought the Mac seats were narrow. In general, it seems that most of the posters preferred the side by sides for bigger kids noting that the tandems are often tough to push. I opted for a MBUD and am crazy about it (except for the price) b/c it pushes like a dream!

HTH

MK
04-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Hello,
I have twin toddlers, and so have quite a bit of double experience. We started out with the Combi twin savvy, which is lightweight and great, but it has two drawbacks, as I see it: very small baskets and no tray on the bars in front. However, it folds easily, is very lightweight and steers well. Mine was bought in 2002 and I have read that they have made the baskets somewhat larger, but with mine I have to tie things onto the bars and I look like a bag lady!
Had I known better, I would have bought the Peg Perego Aria Twin LB; it has a huge basket, snack tray and cup holder for babies and cup holder for Mommy. It supposedly only weighs 14 lbs!
Anyway...all of these doubles are pretty much the same width, and so far my twins, who are almost 2, are not cramped in the Combi. I chose a side by side over a tandem because the children like to interact, and also I was warned that there would be battles over who got to be in front! (not as much and issue with different aged children I guess). I love the side by side format--and we fit though every door I have ever tried.
Hope this helps!
MK

khakismom
04-26-2004, 02:14 PM
I use the Aria Twin with my 2 (one DD just turned 3 and the other is almost 11 months). Love this stroller--it's my fave of all my strollers. Steers wonderfully, plenty of shoulder and leg room, and weighs only 14 pounds! :) Good luck!

DagnyT
05-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Hello. I have two children nearly exactly two years apart. We went for the MBUD. It is FANTASTIC. It goes everywhere- mall, downtown, through yards, on gravel, etc.... It is soooo easy to push and steer. The cost is a drawback as is the transportation of it depending on the size and shape of your trunk. However it is wonderful! Good luck!

MIM

havelkd
06-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Did you use the Aria Twin with your youngest right away? Is it appropriate for newborns? My daughter will be 2 and a half when our second baby arrives and I am leaning towards the Aria Twin but can't tell if the seats fully recline.
Thanks!
Amy