PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for Newborn and Toddler

jborhe
03-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a three year old boy and I'm about to have another baby. My 3 yr old sometimes likes to sit in the stroller and there are also times when I would prefer him to sit (mainly so I have more control over him).

So now I'm trying to choose a stroller option. Here are my thoughts:
-I'd like to avoid a double stroller -- these seem so big and heavy and I think my 3 yr old might be too big for them (he's 35 lbs and 38"). (But I'll listen if anyone thinks these are worth looking at).

-The Kiddyboard or buggyboard look interesting, but I'd rather an option where he could sit (Again, I'll listen if anyone thinks these are worth looking at).

-The Sit N' Stand by BabyTrend/Swan - this sounds great, but I went to Babies R Us and tried the Deluxe -- it's very heavy and just as big as the doubles. One Step Ahead sells the Compact, is this much smaller and lighter? Anyone have any opinions on either of these?

-Seat 2 Go by Litaf - Anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Jen

Pebble
03-20-2004, 01:04 AM
. I would get a baby borjn you can carry your infant in that for awhile. Maybe by the time your infant out grows it your toddler will want to walk!

2GirlsMommy
03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I am facing the same situation. I am leaning toward the Pliko by Peg Perego. It has a footboard for toddler. Have you heard anything about this option?

Jeanmick
03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
I bought my Pliko back in 2001 for my DD with the thought that maybe I'll use the footboard if I had a second baby. Boy, was I ever glad I did. While I have a double, I consider the Pliko is my "workhorse" stroller. I have my DS in the stroller and my DD uses the footboard when I have to do short errands! I love, love, love it! I really abuse it and yet it keeps going.

I think that a child should probably be about 3 years or older in order to use the footboard. I tried w/ my DD when she was around two years and it was difficult for her. It wasn't until she was close to three that it became easier for her to use.

I do use my double when I'm by myself and I have to go to the mall. I like having both kids comfortable in the stroller if I need to be out and about for longer periods of time. To tell you the truth, I used the double exclusively for the first 6-7 months after my DS was born. It was so nice having him sleeping soundly in his infant carrier and my DD in her seat while I was shopping. But that was my personal preference.

Good luck in your search! :)

pcottrell
03-26-2004, 10:54 PM
I use a buggy board and both my ds (6) and dd (5) love to ride. I have used it a lot with no problems. I think it would be more manueverable to have a good steering stroller with a kiddy board than a sit'n stand. I have heard that the sit 'n stand is not the easiest thing to steer, but I have no firsthand knowledge of the stroller. There is also an option called a seat 2 go. I have read mixed reviews on it, so I opted for the more tried and true buggy board. Here is a link to the seat 2 go. http://www.dmart2000.com/seat2goatstr.html

HTH,
Paige

american_mama
03-30-2004, 09:25 AM
This isn't a lot of help, but this weekend I saw a father pushing a stroller withe a seat 2 go, and he looked like he really had to shorten his stride. It looked awkward. But I too am curious about this option, especially since everyone's sense of comfort vs. awkward is different.

Also, a second vote for children being around 3 before they use a footboard well. My just-turned 2 daughter doesn't seem to get how to use a footboard. I know a woman with a 2 1/2 year old son, and he'll use the footboard, but not reliably enough for her to feel very comfortable.

Laurie
04-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Just bought the seat 2 go from Litaf....have not tried it yet, but know of 3-4 people that have it and love it.... All of the double strollers i have found are way too heavy....good luck...if you need to order go onto ababy.com they were the only ones with it available in stock....

sarsah
04-03-2004, 11:38 PM
My two boys are almost exactly 3 years apart (will be 1 & 4 in May). My almost 4 year old is very tall for his age, so that makes things a little more complicated when it comes to strollers.

I bought a Graco DuoGlider on clearance for 50% off at Target this time last year and have used it several times -- not enough for me to justify paying full price, but it was worth it for 1/2 off as I can probably consign it and get almost what I paid for it. It's big and bulky, but does the job the few times I need to go to the mall with both kids.

I am now borrowing my friend's Sit'N Stand. It is big and bulky, but DS#1 loves to sit on the back. I don't think the model I have would be very good for a newborn, but it's fine now that DS#2 is 10 months old. The new model they now have at BRU looks like it would be better for an infant and I think it comes with a car seat adapter as well.

I also have a Peg Perego Pliko, but even at almost 4, DS has a hard time standing on the back. The seat has to be all the way upright in order for a child to be standing on the back, so it won't work with an infant that needs to be reclined. I know lots of people really like their Plikos, but I'm just not thrilled with mine. I got it on clearance a few years ago and for what I paid, it's probably worth it, but I don't think it's anything special.

I did use the Baby Bjorn a lot when DS#2 was little -- he loved it and it left my hands free to attend to DS#1.

Sarah.....mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

luvbeinmama
04-04-2004, 02:14 AM
I got an older sit n stand used in late Nov last year, so I've had it for 5-6 mos. I love it. DS loves it. He likes sitting on it. He often sits sideways & DD turns & they "play" with each other. He likes standing on it. It is PERFECT for trips to Disney, the zoo, etc. He can get on & off as he pleases. I CAN strap him on the seat if necessary, but don't usually. I can (and have to to fit it in my trunk) remove the canopy. DD & DS prefer not to have it on anyway. It is easy to fold & unfold. I can set a small shopping basket between the side bars behind DD's seat (of course, not with DS sitting there, LOL!).

There are a couple things that could be better. It is as bulky as my Century stroller from the travel system. It takes up most of my trunk (on the flip side, it keeps my groceries from going all over the place! LOL!). The bar in front makes it difficult (but not impossible) to transfer DD into it while she is sleeping. Her sneakers get caught on the padding when I pull her out. I miss my cupholders.

All in all, I really love having it. It is MUCH better than the double Kolcraft umbrella that I had. I can't comment on the buggy boards, though I know DS really likes being able to sit on the stroller, and the buggy board would eliminate that option for him.

Good luck in your stroller search!

dylansnan
04-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi- Just jumping in to suggest you check out the Kiwi Strollers, both the e3 and Explorer. They are a single 3-wheeler with swivel front wheel and an add-on second seat. If you do search on the BB Stroller board for Kiwi, you can get lots of information. I have the Explorer and LOVE it!
Also check out this site-
www.kiwi-kid.com

HTH

Boogiemama
07-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Hello
I am in the same situation. Have an almost 2 year old who is 35 pounds and 36 inches tall
(he looks 3 1/2). And I have a baby due any day now, who is supposedly tall too.

I am considering thte Mountain Buggy urban double (swivel) but it is $589. at the Right Start - ouch!.

I am considering the Instep TT double (swivel) which is $249

I am considering Phil & Teds E3 Explorer 2 toddler/second seat option (approx $380.)

I also want to know if Kolcraft has a double Jeep Liberty?

Does anyone have a recommendation?

klcaper
08-09-2004, 01:09 PM
I posted this in another stroller as well - but wondering if there were any stroller queens who have compared The Compact Sit and Stand and the Take Me Too by Evenflo. Do 2 year olds still sleep a lot when you go out? Do I need a full 2nd seat for my soon to be 2 year old? What do you think?

Hello,

I was just curious if you have made a decision yet whether you were going to keep the Sit N Stand or not. I'm trying to decide between that one and the Evenflo Take Me Too. My daughter will be 20 months when #2 comes along so she will definently need a place to sit and sometimes snooze. It's hard for me to make this decision as I'll be buying online (living overseas) and won't be able to return whichever one I decide on. I like the option of the carseat and having two seats - not just the one like the original Sit N Stand. I like the Evenflo Take Me Too because of the open step area for the older child, carseat option, and parent trays - weight too! However, I haven't seen it in person and I was wondering if anyone has used it and liked / not liked it. Please help me make a decision if you've had hands on experience with either!

*manouvering is a huge concern too for both

Klcaper