PDA

View Full Version : question for kettler owners-auto freewheel?

julie1218
03-15-2004, 12:37 PM
PLEASE HELP!!
I called Kettler, and the customer service rep was not helpful at all. My son has gross motor delays, so I have very specific tricycle needs.

I want a tricyle with a handlebar. MOST IMPORTANT, I need the pedals to still go 'round and 'round while I am pushing. I understand that the Auto-Freewheel option on the Kettler allows you to lock the pedals so that the trike coasts. However, I do not want the trike to always coast when I am pushing. Most often, I want it NOT to coast. His feet need to feel the pedals go round while I am pushing. Is this possible with a Kettler trike? If so, what models?

The rep seemed to say only the cheaper ones (Blossom and Junior) would do this because the upgraded models (Combi, Calypso, Happy, and Jumbo) have the Auto-Freewheel which prevents this.

Please check your Kettler with handlebar and let me know if your pedals can still go around or if they automatically lock when the handlebar is engaged.

THANKS!

pamela mom of 3
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
I actually just bought a calypso Friday night for my 3yo son, i decided to wait on the pushbar as it's still winter here so when the better weather arrives we'll see whether it's needed or not.

Anyhow, i do not see how the pedals lock off at all, from what i understood the more upgraded models had this feature, the pushbar only bolts on i cannot see how it effects the pedal's.

GL! It's a great trike tho one my son can actually reach the pedals on since he's not the most tall @ 36IN ;)

ETA: If you scroll down the page you can see the calypso model we just got, it mentions nothing of the lockout feature however it does speak of it in the more expensive models further down the page.
http://minicircuit.ca/mi00059.htm

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

christic
03-15-2004, 09:28 PM
The Kalypso definitely does not have the auto-freewheel feature, neither does the Combi (or the Blossom or Junior). This feature is included only on the Happy and Jumbos. Someone posted a link to a great comparison chart during the co-op. You might want to try a search to see if you can pull it up. It was a great help when I was deciding what model to buy, but I didn't keep the link!

Chris

egoldber
03-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I have the Happy and the pushbar. If you don't engage the lock-off, then you can push the trike and the wheels will go around. But if you don't want the lock feature, then you may want to go with a less expensive option like the Calypso or the Blossom.

HTH,

julie1218
03-20-2004, 05:29 AM
thanks so much. that's the info. i needed!