PDA

View Full Version : mbud vs. bob duallie

Janet
05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm trying to decide between the mbud or bob duallie for my 2 kids (almost 3 yo at 37", 35 lbs. and 3 1/2 months). We are moving to Europe, so a smooth ride is at the top of the requirements. I also want good seat height so my older child can sit comfortably for a while. I like mbud's full seat recline and swivel wheels for pushing ease, but am not sure if the ride will be smooth on the broken and cobbled European streets. I have seen the bob but not the mbud. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

pamela mom of 3
05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Can't really comment on the "bob" only seen it online, the MBDU i've had for over a year and a half.

It pushes fine over gravel, snow, uneven ground etc...

This site may offer some reviews

http://www.joggingstroller.com

HTH and Gl :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

ChicagoMama
05-19-2004, 11:57 PM
I'd just like to second Pamela's comments on the MBUD. I have navigated with this stroller over high curbs, grass, bumpy paving bricks and other bumpy obstacles, with no issues for the kids or me/DH pushing it. It takes rough terrain extremely well. A couple of my favorite things to note about MBUD:

-- The "urban" (Urban Double as opposed to the Terrain) model has a front wheel which can be used in the swivel position or in the locked position. This is beneficial because it allows the stroller to literally turn 360 degrees on top of itself. This could be very useful depending on where you'll be taking it regularly in Europe??

-- My kids are 30 lbs/33" and 20 lbs 28" - no issues pushing it whatsoever, and the bigger one has plenty of room to fit.

-- Pushes one hand like a dream. Just wonderful.

-- I have used this stroller heavily since about January, and nothing has come loose, stopped working, etc. ( Not like the Peg Perego I own. ) It's a solidly built, great choice if you end up going with it.

Cons:

-- flat fold -- not compact fold -- takes up a lot of space in trunks/would be really hard to throw on a bus...but I'll bet that's the same issue for the Bob...check it out.

There are a couple of folks on this board who are urban double experts more so than me -- and I know there's a lady who posts here and on parentsplace.com who has the urban with a website photo of her 4 yr old in it.

Consider posting your question over on the stroller board on the Baby Bargains book, and I know you'll run into someone who has experience with the Bob Duallie and you can make your comparison.

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

masetane
05-26-2004, 07:15 PM
I have to give my nod to the Bob stroller. If you are going over major bumps, fixed wheel is best, its sit up a bit higher than the MB, higher handle bar, and shocks. Don't get me wrong, I think the MB is just great (even though I really don't get all they hype about it) but I was so uncomfortable pushing it b/c handles too low (I'm 5'7), hood did not cover well and again, wanted the shocks. It does steer very nicely with the swivel wheel but I don't find a big deal with the Bob and its fixed wheel. Anyhow, I just think you get A LOT more for your money with a Bob! Definitely call joggingstroller b/c they helped me with my decision as well (although I was able to see both in person and that pretty much sold me on the Bob - I think its much better looking)
caroline

pamela mom of 3
05-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Actually MB's do have suspension it's just hidden ;)
http://www.onetreehill.nl/urbanjunglebuggy/features/susp.html

I do understand the lower handle part but being i am short it's not something i have honestly thought much about.... also the outdoor performace is different between the terrain and the urban, the urban is more for it's indoor/outdoor ability for true outdoors the terrain gets the nod.

Yet as with all things greatly depends upon ones purpose & personal opinion, The BOB looks great also for outdoors! :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

masetane
05-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Ah - I did not realize it had suspension!!! I guess I was comparing it to the major shocks on the Bob - which has to have them for the all terrain. So - really it comes down to how you intend to use it. Oh, the othe difference is the Bob has 16 inch wheels. I think the higher the wheels the smoother the ride on bumps. If you are a true jogger - you would want 20-24 inch wheels!!! wow Personally, I still favor the Bob. Just can't put my finger on the MB - it's nice but I put it in the "OK" category. Probably more for the IMO blah looks (I'm in the major minority on this issue I think ha ha). So - bottom line - you are going to hear so many opinions and both are great!! Inooor/outdoor go for the MB. Just for outdoor, consider the Bob.
caroline

pamela mom of 3
05-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Yes, your quite right the BOB has quite the shock system, again it seems like a great outdoor model...the MB's are that in/out kinda stroller sorta an all around you know? their hybrids.

The MB's are sorta plain janes that's true but that is why i love them, less to go wrong :P but for only outdoor use their are strollers with more features you know bigger wheels, bigger hoods but the twistside to that is that are huge for indoors ;)

Glad your liking your BOB i know you struggled with what too choose! The important thing is finding the right model for your needs :D

~Pamela Mom Of 3

masetane
05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I do love my Bob soooooo much. Dreamer was great too but too souped up for me look wise and heavy. Kelty felt too low to the ground and didn't like the split bar. Bob was pretty streamlined and didn't feel too long. I really wanted to like the MB - but I never thought of that - less to go wrong. Maybe a bigger hood, slightly higher seat, higher handles and a hand brake would make me a little more excited about it. It was awesome to push!!!!! OH well - thank goodness there are so many to choose from right??
caroline

strollerqueen
05-31-2004, 04:20 AM
You'll never get thru any doorways with the BOB Duallie. It's 34" WIDE! vs. 28.5 for the MBUD. I've owned more than a dozen doubles, and I can tell you, width is probably in the top 3 of what I want in a double!

masetane
06-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Good point about the width!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't beat that with the MB!!!
caroline

ckleist
08-10-2004, 09:44 AM
The BOBs are wide - 34" and MB is only 28.5. I'm not sure where in Europe you'll be, but both by dad and husband have travelled a lot there and from what I've heard, some places (alleys, doors, etc) are fairly narrow. Also, the stationary front wheel on the BOBs make it really hard to turn. I only have the single and for gradual turns found it a little difficult to steer, and for sharper turns (especially 90 degrees) you need to lift the front end in order to turn. I'm researching at the MB double now, have a 16 month old and another due in October and am looking for a good multipurpose double for outside walks and mall shopping, but the price tag is so high ($589) I haven't been able to justify it to my hubby yet. If you haven't already, check out www.joggingstroller.com - very good info. They have a Schwinn SC900 w/ front swivel and it is 32" wide and only $230. Even though it is not high end, the website seemed to think it was very good for being such an affordable price. They also have a Tike Trek which is 30" wide, but no front swivel. There is a comparison chart that goes thru dimensions of all strollers, even seat size so you'll know your kids won't outgrow too soon.