PDA

View Full Version : Valco Everest or Schwinn Safari for all-terrain stroller??

carrie81566
06-20-2005, 09:50 PM
I've sort of narrowed it down to these two, partly because the Valco was recommended by the Baby Bargains board, partly because I really want to keep this around or under $200, so I can't do the Bobs or MBUs that are often recommended there.

Advantages to the Schwinn: I can try it and buy it in real life--there's even a model at Target--not sure of differences between it and the one at the local fancy baby store, but they are both $175 or under. I guess the Instep is the same thing, too? My husband likes the feel of the big bike tires. Seems to fold pretty compactly for a jogger--I'll have to go back to the store and check again. Forgot to check to see whether it has a decent basket. (I have the Kolcraft Universal CSC now and love the big basket.)

THe Valco looks like a slightly more "premium" stroller and seems to have a great basket. I think it also has an add-on option for a toddler board (is that what they're called?) if we have another baby. The tires are obviously all-terrain, but not the same as the bike tires--how smooth is the ride? There isn't a store within 2-3 hours of here that carries them, so I'd have to order it on faith from an online store. Can get it for $199 and free shipping, maybe a bit less.

What we would use it for: rotten bumpy sidewalks in our neighborhood, possibly walking dogs at the same time. Craft fairs and antique shows and other outdoor grassy things. Maybe walking on bike trails, but not real hikes. Walking to the farmer's market and actually having room in the basket to bring stuff home. A pretty compact fold would be nice, but I probably wouldn't take it in the car more than once a week. (I have a MacLaren Quest that I got a great deal on for the mall, etc.) Has to live on the porch since we have no garage. DS will be 6 mos and about 20 lbs by the time we get this bought.

SOrry for the novel--hope someone has advice. If there's some other model I've overlooked, let me know, but I really can't do $300, especially if I'll be buying a double in 2 years.
Carrie

August Mom
06-21-2005, 11:10 AM
We have the InSTEP Safari (which I think is comparable to the Schwinn). I like it. We mainly wanted it for the same purposes as you, primarily bumpy sidewalks and other outdoor events. The front wheel turns (or you can lock it straight). I really like the turning ability. It pushes well, folds pretty easily and fits in my trunk. I would not call it a compact fold (I have to do some manuevering for the trunk at times) and I wouldn't call it light (but I can lift it into the trunk without killing myself). My main complaint about it is the length of the straps - too long. I have never been able to get the shoulder straps tight. I'm not obsessed about it because we aren't going fast enough that I'm really worried about it, but I don't know what child was the model for these straps. There is a storage pocket below the parent tray that is nice. I generally put sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, wallet, etc. there. It will hold water bottles if that's more your need. There also is a basket beneath the seat. It isn't a framed basket, so it sags when you add a lot of weight, but it's fairly roomy. I'd probably want to keep things contained in another bag because the sides of the basket are open at the top. You can definitely check around on-line for optimum pricing. Several sites price match too.

You can do a search on the stroller forum of BBB and find several reviews of the InSTEP Safari.