PDA

View Full Version : Baby and Preschooler - do you really use a double stroller?

mattiew
07-07-2005, 09:18 PM
DD will be a little over 3 when DC #2 arrives and I can't decide if we need a double stroller and if so what kind. Here is what we currently use:
* DH uses a jogging stroller to take DD on his runs (I don't use it when I walk because it doesn't turn well)
* Heavy Duty full size Combi stroller for walking at the park (exercise) and walks around the neighborhood
* Maclaren Triumph for errands/mall/zoo

Any advice would be appreciated!!

momofmany
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I have two dd who are three years apart - I didn't get a double for them and in hindsight I regretted it. It would have been helpful to have been able to take them on walks together or at the mall, etc. I now have another dd who is two years younger than her sister (the younger girls are 2 &4) and I have used both the Mountain Buggy Urban Double and the Kolcraft side by side. I love the MBUD - super easy to use, turns very easily, great for walks around the neighborhood, and I use it for power walking, too. The drawbacks are that it is bit heavy to get in a van and the price ($500). The kolcraft isn't as delux, doesn't steer as well, but my girls like it and it served us well on a trip to Magic Kingdom. We mainly keep this one in the car for at the park or quick mall trips. It doesn't steer nearly as well as the MBUD, but we got it for $45 from Target. I appreciate the flexibility of a double and have liked the side by side. (Note too that my girls are very similar in weight and size with both being around 29 lbs.). Good luck with your family!

Hallie_D
07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
We don't have a double stroller (in fact, we only have one stroller, a Combi UltraSavvy) and have only had a few occasions that we might have used one. When we go somewhere that DS#1 needs to ride, I pop #2 into a sling. So far that has worked well for us.

cdk_2001_mom
07-21-2005, 01:37 PM
My second child isn't here yet, but I bought a Valco Runabout ($375) & Toddler Seat ($45) b/c Corben still likes his stroller rides :)
I do not think I will regret this purchase!

Stroller is heavier than my lightweight (7 lb) Combi, but full featured!! I like it so far and Corben LOVES his Toddler Seat!

~Terri
~Corben 12/19/01
~edd 07/31/05

pjand1
08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I too struggled with the same question. My kids are only 17 months apart (now 2 and 7 mos.).

I ended up buying Phil and Ted's e3, which I love for walks with the kids. I could take them out together from newborn on.

But, I only use it around the neighborhood (that was my plan). I have no patience for lugging a big stroller around.

For everyday use, I have found I don't need a double. If we go out in the evening, my husband (or a friend) is with me, so we each take a stroller (Maclaren Techno and Snap 'N Go). For errands, my son (2 year old) much prefers to walk into the store, then I put them both in a cart. Or, he's in the stroller and she's in the Bjorn.

Now that she's out of the infant seat, I'm going to purchase a Buggy Board for the back of the Maclaren.

I've been happy with this arrangement so far....