PDA

View Full Version : Big Kid Bike (cross posted in BBB Around The House)

jenmcadams
08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
My DD is turning three in two weeks and is dying for her very own big kid bike. She's been riding her trike (pretty aggressively) since she was about 22 months old and she's been bugging us for a big bike with training wheels for the last 6 months or so. My DH and I are both bikers/triathletes and I believe pretty strongly in supporting local bike shops, so I was thinking of buying a gender neutral, high quality big kid bike that my DS could use when he gets old enough instead of cheaper bike from a big box store. I'm planning to go in to the local bike shop this weekend and check out the bike selection. I've read about some good quality starter bikes by Giant and Trek and I also have been thinking about a Kettler Bingo (http://store.mypolkadots.com/12duke.html) Any feedback or advice on picking a big kid bike and also on whether there's much benefit to going the higher quality route (will she grow out of it so fast, there's not much point).

Thanks,

raynjen
08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Well, I'm not sure how helpful this is, but...

Here in Japan they have a good quality bike that is called a People 2 to 6. The bike grows with your child so that it would work for them for quite awhile. They are run about $120 - $200 american depending on materials/options. They have a really cool handle in the back (that detaches) for assisting when your child is tired, or when it is time to lose the training wheels. So...you could look for something like this. We had already bought my dd a cheapo bike at the BX because she HAD to have something pink and glittery (YUCK!) She has asked for a new bike for her birthday and we had to explain that she wasn't getting a new bike until she outgrew the current one (much wailing and gnashing of teeth).

Also, when you find the "perfect" bike make sure she sees it. We saw a Mongoose at our BX (these were considered good when I was a kid, don't know about now) and she hated it - something about the color combo.

Finally, if she is big enough, you might consider something like this: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/56180/1403/118.html
it is the back half of a bike that attachs to an adult's bike seat post. That way your dc could actually go on bike rides with you and your hubby!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to my beautiful daughter,
who is now 3 3/4, Noelle!