PDA

View Full Version : When Is a Toddler Too Old for a Stroller?

smzapalac
01-15-2007, 02:07 PM
At what age do kids stop riding in a stroller? We are planning for #2, and I am not sure if we need to purchase a double stroller or not. We have a 2 yr. old. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Once ds learned to walk he preferred not to be in the stroller. I stopped using it before age 2 b/c I often found myself pushing an empty stroller.

As he has gotten older he has gotten a bit "lazier" and there are times he probably would have ridden in one if we had one.

Some of our friends got more life out of their strollers and used doubles when they had younger siblings.

I would probably try this...don't buy a double. At first if dc #1 wants to ride still you can wear dc #2 in like a sling or front carrier. That can buy you a few more months of stroller use for #1. Odds are by the time you add 9 months to the age of dc #1 and maybe a few months on the other side your dc #1 will be ready to go without a stroller. They may want it on occaision but you can carry dc #2 instead or something.

Double strollers just look like such a PITA that I would personally try to avoid them.

Then again, I hate strollers in general. I prefer the freedom of no stroller so we would always opt for the option we could get by without one. :)

Beth

s7714
01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I had a nice long answer all typed out for you and then my computer blew up on me, so let's try this again...

My DD was about 2 1/2 when her sister came along. There were a couple of times she wanted to ride in the stroller, but I think it was more of a "I'm feeling displaced" issue vs. her actually wanting to ride in it. I wore her sister in a sling/carrier 99% of the time though, so my older DD often got the stroller anyway. By the time she was 3 she wanted to walk everywhere on her own.

We actually did go out and buy a double because I thought for sure we'd need it. I think it's been used maybe 5 or 6 times in the two years we've had it! Because of that, I always recommend to people to wait on the double until after they've had #2 for a bit to see how things play out.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

smzapalac
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Really helpful info.

Tanya
01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I think a toddler/kid is too old for a stroller when they won't fit or meet the max weight limits of the stroller. ha ha

My daughter is 3 yr 9.5 months and she still rides in the stroller enough to make it worth it for me. Unless I'm pushing her butt up a hill at the zoo, I often prefer her to ride so that she's contained and I'm in control. She's so opinionated these days on what she wants to see.

Anyway, I debated about buying a double stroller too. My daughter was 3years and nearly 5 months when my baby was born. She did/does walk quite a bit, but I swear everytime we left the stroller home, she wanted to be CARRIED which isn't going to happen for more than about 2 seconds in my world. Heck, my stroller holds shopping purchases, diaper bag, etc. if it doesn't hold the kid.

I ended up getting a Phil & Ted's E3. It can be a single when I want it to or a double. It's worked well for my needs and I haven't regretted buying it (although I wasn't happy about spending so much money). Since my older daughter walks more than rides, I just put the baby in the front and let the older one ride in the back when she wants. I did get the pannier bags for extra storage.

smzapalac
01-21-2007, 02:09 PM
My friend bought the E3 and loves it. I think it might be a suitable solution down the road. Thanks again! Terrific info.