PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen sets

anadandy
11-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Can anyone recommend a good kitchen set for a nearly 2 year old? I want to get one for my son for his birthday (yes, I believe in equal opportunity :) ) I've looked at the Little Tikes sets, both the "Cooking Sounds" and the Victorian Kitchen. The Victorian is a little too "girly" according to my husband (and I admit it is a bit too PINK) The Cooking Sounds looks good, but there most of the shelves are open and my son loves opening a shutting doors. The Fisher Price one seemed very cheaply made, I didn't like the lightweight feel of it.

I've also looked into some of the wooden sets, but many of them seem to have a higher age range of 3 years and up. I'm just looking for ideas, comments, experiences, etc.

Thanks!

Kris
11-14-2001, 03:21 PM
I'm planning to get either the step 2 kitchen for two or step 2 grand kitchen (the latter is huge but oh so cute :)). Look on the step2.com website for details. I've looked at every kitchen made and liked these the best, plus they look very sturdy. the little tikes cooking sounds kitchen has mixed reviews, mainly due to technical problems..

I've seen a wooden one for $500 (!) but that's out of my price range.

I think it's great that you're getting it for your son - I would do the same if I had a boy.

Kris

anadandy
11-15-2001, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to the Step2 website and think the Kitchen for Two and the Little Helper styles look nice. The store locator has a few stores in my area that carry Step2 products, so I think I'll go check them out.

I checked out the Little Tikes cooking sounds kitchen at Toys R Us and noticed it has thin corrugated plastic back panels to the cabinets and refrigerator. I'm not sure I like that - I have a feeling my little guy would push something right through them eventually.

Thanks again!

Anne

laura_winckler
03-30-2002, 01:18 AM
We bought the Little Tikes cookin' sounds kitchen for my son when he was one, but we were very disappointed in the quality. We eventually bit the bullet and bought a wooden kitchen. We found a toddler kitchen at Constructive Playthings (cptoys.com) that we LOVE. He "cooks" all the time now, and it is sturdy enough to survive future children and be passed on to someone else. It was expensive - I think we paid $250? We were also frustrated by all of the girly kitchens on the market and by the kitchens that try to direct the child's play. "Now it's time to make the spaghetti!" Please!

jtreeger
04-04-2002, 03:25 PM
We bought a Little Tikes Cookin' Sounds for my 2 year old son, as he loves "cooking", and his interest in it waxes and wanes. I like it fine, but we saw a Step2 kitchen when we were out one day that he LOVED. More expensive (I think it was over $100), but it was full of fun things. Good luck.

wendy03060
05-09-2002, 02:41 PM
I see this thread is getting old, but as a preschool/elementary teacher and mom I thought I would add my two cents.

It seems to me that the age limit on wooden sets usually has something to do with the hinges and such required for construction. Considering the height and other dimensions of the set might be a better indication of which one might be best. Just be sure to always use common sense and adequate supervision. Wooden kitchen sets have a way of becoming family heirlooms, so if you can swing it, I highly recommend one. Also consider an unfinished wood one. I have found that ink other especially stubborn stains can be sanded off easily and protecting the finish is not an issue. Also check to see if the set can be taken back apart and stored flat when the kids outgrow it.

My set is one I snagged off eToys when they went out of business years ago. It was a lower end one (unfinished wood with red painted accents; can't remember the brand) and I know it was originally not more than $150 but I have found it to be sturdy and durable.

Some chilren as old as first grade (and some even older!) still like to play with this toy, so whatever you pick, make sure it is good for the long haul. Depending on how many little one you have, not to mention the rest of your extended family/friends have, it can get a real work out over the years!