PDA

View Full Version : toddler music

elaine
05-28-2002, 06:42 PM
I can't stand most of the music that is sold for babies/toddlers. So much of it is badly sung, or insipid arrangements of good music.

I love the songs on Sesame Street the show, but the CDs don't seem to have most of those songs - mostly they seem to be manufactured for the CD.

A friend of mine says her toddler likes Gilbert & Sullivan, so I've started looking at more 'classic' titles, and folk music. I'm going down to the library this week to see if I can find anything I like. Any suggestions?

anadandy
05-30-2002, 02:08 PM
We have the two CDs from Bear in the Big Blue house and really like them. The songs are all done in many different styles from Blues, to Rap, to Country and traditional. We play them all the time and it's not annoying at all.

My toddler also likes the Star Wars soundtrack :) You may want to try some soundtracks from classical musicals, like Sound of Music or Oklahoma.

I'm with you about some kids music though - someone gave my son one of those Time-Life collections of Kids Sing or something like that and it's horrible. A bunch of kids singing badly and they change the lyrics of classic songs so you can't even sing along.

laura_winckler
05-30-2002, 07:22 PM
My son really enjoyed A Child's Garden of Verses by Ted Jacobs. It's all Robert Louis Stevenson poetry set to music, and it is really lovely. He has a second CD out that is American poetry set to music that we also enjoy; I can't remember the name of it. Other than that, I'm afraid it's the Wiggles and Raffi in our car most of the time. My son has recently decided that he likes to hear other small children singing. That's truly torturous!

paulagm
06-02-2002, 08:06 PM
I agree with you completely! I HATE most of the children's music out there. When I was pregnant with my first, someone gave me a CD by Kim Scanlon called "Night Songs and Lullabyes." It's full of old standards that are beautifully arranged and sung in a simple, easy jazz style. Sometimes I listen to it in my car even when my son is not with me! It's great music for kids or adults.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything else that I like as much as this CD, and I can't find another CD by this lady. Why do they think kids don't like good music, too?

Paula

elf
06-04-2002, 03:18 PM
I've found two things I really like...

"Peter, Paul, and Mommy" which has Puff the Magic Dragon and other songs in the same vein (I love "The Marvelous Toy"!)

and still available,
"Free to Be, You and Me" which I listened to endlessly as a kid.

I am still looking for more.

Momtotwo
06-12-2002, 09:54 PM
We also love "Free to be you and me" (great for a 3 year old) and "Really Rosie" (also from the 1970, but still available -- Carole King is fantastic on every song). Finally, a more recent release is "Ralph's World" -- my husband and I can listen to that without cringing at all.

tplosser
06-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Music for Little People has a great catalog of music for kids of all ages. We got the Dan Zanes CD which has Sheryl Crow and others on it and Catfish Hodge for our 16 month old son and he loves them. The selection is great and there is something for every taste. You should definitely find something. Good luck.

JakesMommy
06-24-2002, 01:50 AM
My husband and I are music lovers, but not big fans of "kiddie music." Luckily for us, our son (almost 29 months) loves all kinds of music. You might try some world music with alternative rhythms... Jacob loves reggae, Latin and Caribbean music. We've had the same nanny with us since he was about 5 weeks old, and since she's a native of Belize, she has introduced us to all sorts of great music to which Jake really responds. (There's an artist by the name of "Laro" that Jake likes a lot.)

My thinking is, Jake is still going to get his fill of kiddie music from other sources, so why not introduce him to "adult" music now? He is happy with everything from classical to Miles Davis to even some Frank Zappa (my husband is a huge fan). As long as the music is not too loud and the lyrics not inappropriate, let your child listen to what you love.

Enjoy!

jules
06-24-2002, 07:59 PM
For silly songs we really enjoy John Lithgow's Singing In The Bathtub. I find myself singing them all day long, even when we're not playing the cd!

Tamm
07-19-2002, 11:48 AM
I agree with you - most of the music is horrible! But we have had some success. My son loves "Bedtime with the Beatles" and won't go to sleep without it. We also love Dan Zanes cds, they are great. Finally, there is a new cd out called "The Bottle Has Let Me Down" which is supposed to be wonderful. I am going to pick up my copy today.

Good luck

Tamm

brubeck
07-26-2002, 06:49 PM
One word: Raffi. His stuff is mostly just his voice and a guitar, with occasional other instruments. Since he is an adult you don't get that annoying quality you do with bunches of kids singing for hours on end. I recommend Singable Songs For The Very Young (I grew up on this and sing the teeth brushing song to my daughter every night when doing the deed.) and Baby Beluga (a huge toddler hit a few years ago).

I agree with the Sesame Street songs being hard to find. I have a cassette of the first Muppet Show cast album which includes some classics like Mahna Mahna, Rubber Duckie, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ, etc. but the only way to get this now is on used record or tape. I would love it if they would re-release this on CD. I would buy it in a minute. Anyone know if there are any CDs out there with this music on them?

MarinaTwinMom
10-15-2002, 11:40 PM
Have you tried anything by Tom Chapin? I hadn't heard of him before I checked out several of his children's CDs from our local library. We liked those CDs so much that I went out and bought copies for my kids' Christmas stockings last year! I don't know if you'd call his music more folk style or country, but it has more accompaniment (instruments and backup singers) than Raffi's and IMHO is easier to listen to.

gour0
01-11-2003, 09:24 PM
My friends swear by them. They even listened to them before their ds was born.

Here's their site:
http://www.troutmusic.com/

Michelle
03-25-2003, 12:16 AM
We somehow tolerate the annoying "singing kids" CDs, but actually enjoy the "old classics"...
-Free to be You & Me
-Really Rosie
-The Muppet Show (a compilation of the old records of the Show plus hits from their various movies)

Also, we find that musicals are a big hit with 21 month old. Try new ones or old ones, like
-Mama Mia
-South Pacific

debby
06-20-2003, 10:11 PM
we are big fans of the music by "Parachute Express", which is available through Gymboree Play & Music locations. It's almost all original music, and it's wonderfully done. The CD "Doctor Looney's Remedy" explores a variety of cultures in the musical styles (Mexican, Scottish, African, polka). My husband is a clasically-trained musician, and even he likes the stuff. If Gymboree is not near you, I am pretty sure Parachute Express has their own website.

legaleagle22
06-27-2003, 01:52 PM
My husband and I also hate nearly all "kiddy" music, including Raffi and the like.

Right now, our 20-month-old loves They Might Be Giants' new album, "No!", Buddy Holly, The Monkees, and upbeat Ziggy Marley songs.

Adults get into the habit of pigeonholing music -- kids will like a LOT of different types of music if they're exposed to them.

Good luck!

katiesmom
07-01-2003, 04:12 PM
I have a really, really low tolerance for cutesy kids' music. Someone gave me a tape of "Wee Sing." Because I don't have a CD player in my car, I naively thought that this was fabulous -- an actual tape, so we can listen to it while driving. Have you ever heard "Wee Sing"? I'd strongly recommend not listening to it the first time while driving. Fortunately, we have a good oldies station locally, and Katie thinks the Beach Boys, etc., are most fabulous.

The children's CDs we play the most at our house are John Lithgow (both "Singing in the Bathtub" and "Farkle and Friends" -- I have a preference for "Farkle & Friends" ) and Sandra Boynton "Philadelphia Chickens." There is also an older Sandra Boynton CD; I can't remember the name of it off-hand, but my mom has it and adores it.

For falling asleep, we have a CD by the Beijing Angelic Choir -- it's Chinese folk songs, and it's just gorgeous (it is in Mandarin, though, so don't expect to have a clue what the songs are). I believe I've seen it on Amazon. My cousin and his wife play gregorian chants to get their little boy to sleep.

The other day, when I asked Katie what she wanted to listen to, she trotted over to the CDs and brought me Crosby, Stills & Nash and Cat Stevens. That's my girl!

Susan & Katie (17 months)

Judy
08-11-2003, 07:02 AM
We have really enjoyed the 2 Putamayo CD's: "World Playground" and World Playground 2". Top artists from the various countries playing listenable tunes, and the CD insert discusses each one and the country its from.

Judy
Samuel - 22 months
Isaac - 5 months

A.J.
08-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi,
I just started a similar thread in the Baby Bargains side. I posted a web page with some of our favorites, and other people chimed in with new ones. The thread (and link to the page I posted) can be found at
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/1467.html

This morning we listened to Oliver! from the library. Old show tunes seem to be really interesting for our son at this age, probably because they are lively but not over the top, and the singers enunciate. I think I'm going to see if I can check out the music from Guys & Dolls...

jacie
08-12-2003, 04:39 PM
I highly recommend Ralph's World especially the album "Happy Lemons". Ralph has a great voice and his songs sound like the music I listened to before I had a child - until you listen to the lyrics. They are fun, imaginative and definitely not annoying.

bogglefan
08-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Some of these have already been mentioned but for what it's worth, here is a list of some of our favorites. I have purchased a lot of childrens music, our son loves music and while there are some terrible CD's around there are also some wonderful ones out there. Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

RALPH'S WORLD and JUSTIN ROBERTS are probably my top recommendations. I have given Ralph's World as a gift quite often and the kids and perents always love it. These guy's are easy to listen to as an adult and the kids absolutely love the CD's.

LAURIE BERKNER - especially Whadda'ya think of that
DAN ZANES - a few have mentioned him and we love him but he isn;t for everyone, kind of bluegrassy, folksy, -- very different - very well done.

JOHN DENVER- ALL ABOARD - for the train obsessed toddler - all the songs are about trains. Great CD, easy to listen to.

JOHN LITHGOW - Singing in the Bathtub and he has another one too. Very well done.

RAFFI - of course. He is probably the first children's music superstar

TROUT FISHING IN AMERICA - Family Music Party and other albums

SAR HICKMAN - Toddler. Fun CD.
GREG & STEVE
WENDY GELSANLITER
JESSICCA HARPER
CHARLOTTE DIAMOND

baby_mis1
09-19-2003, 07:52 PM
CDs that were given as gifts (and I don't know where to find them):

Sesame Street Numbers (a song for each number - most are very original and I like the various musical styles too)

Sesame Street Alphabet (a song for each letter of the alphabet)

Sarah Hickman - Toddlers CD (very short but wacky songs and a few stories thrown in)

The Mother Goose Jazz Band - some jazzed up versions of classic songs (although the lyrics haven't been changed much, so you can sing along) Examples - This Old Man, Three Blind Mice, etc.

Good luck!
Valerie
Mom to Jonas 2-21-02

raynjen
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
We can't get throught the day at our house without listening to VeggieTales. At last count we have "On the Road With Bob & Larry", "Bob & Larry's Backyard Party", "Bob & Larry's Sunday Morning Songs", "Junior's Bedtime Favorites", "Larry's Silly Songs", "Pirates' Boat Load of Fun", and "Have We Got a Show For You, Ten Years of VeggieTales Greatest Hits".

How can you not love a Cucumber who sings "The Water Buffalo Song" and "The Yodeling Veterinarian of the Alps" or a two Squash who ask the timeless question - "How Many Monkeys Can Fit in a Tree"? We are currently hoping to get "Oh Veggie, Where Art Thou" for my daughter's birthday and so expand our musical repetoir.

I also put in a bid for Trout Fishing in America for eminently listenable, singable, fun music - their tune "Baby's Got The Car Keys" will have the most sedate parent giggling.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)