PDA

View Full Version : Train Tables

Marcy Trost
12-31-2002, 10:13 PM
My 3y.o. just received a wooden train starter set (Toys R Us Imaginarium brand) as a gift, and I already see that a train table will be useful for helping to keep train clutter under control. I did a quick perusal at TRU and Zainy Brainy and saw train tables ranging in price from $130 to $320+. Any advice on which to get and why? Anyone else have a less expensive suggestion on managing train clutter while keeping the track set up? Thanks!

MARCY

juliesul
01-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Marcy,
A train table is really the only way I know to keep the train intacts and manage the clutter. However, I'd ask around (neighbors or friends w/ older boys, 2nd hand children's stores, etc.) and purchase a used table. The new models are rather ridiculously priced and some do not include the tabletop--you have to buy a separate insert. If you do buy new, I'd suggest one of the plain white ones that comes with storage bins that fit underneath. I'm not sure who makes it but I think it's available at Toys R Us (and it occasionally goes on sale). It's also more attractive than the Thomas version.

Hope this is helpful.:D

juliesul
01-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Marcy,
See amazon.com--the tables w/ bins are buy Branford and Imaginarium. They seem to have received good reviews, though must be assembled.

darebear
01-15-2003, 01:06 AM
I bought a 145 piece train set and table from ebay for my son for Hanukah. I came to $170 with shipping. The table is great, it has two drawers on each end and it is very sturdy. I have also seen the same set at BJ's for $130, but since it is 90lbs, I prefered to have them deliver. My stepmom also got a slightly different version from Costco to keep at her house for the grandkids. The only difference is hers has trundle drawers, but it was the same price.

marcy
01-20-2003, 09:20 PM
I ended up buying the Imaginarium train table from TRU last week. They are running it on sale through 2/2/03. Regularly $129.99, sale priced $99.99. Plus, I had almost $30 in credit from returned/duplicate birthday gifts, so my cash outlay for the table was only $75 with tax. I was happy! My father-in-law will assemble it for us next week. My sons are gonna love it!

MARCY

AngelaS
04-28-2003, 07:26 AM
I just posted my rant about train tables on the other train thread, so I won't rehash it here.

To keep the mess under control---my sister stores all her pieces in a plastic three drawer chest. Another friend of mine cut a piece of plywood to fit under her son's bed. All the pieces lay on that. When he wants to play, he pulls out the plywood into the middle of the floor. When he's done, it hides neatly back under his bed.

Just some ideas.... :)