PDA

View Full Version : train set

EWalsh
03-15-2003, 08:54 PM
We're interested in getting a train set for my 18 month old...one he can play with under our supervision, as we know most are recommended for children 3 and above. I've considered both the Brio and Thomas the Tank Engine sets, but am wondering about the differences in quality, adaptability, etc. We have a very small house right now, and don't have room for a train table...I'd just set it up from time to time on the dining room floor and then pick it up at the end of the day. Does anyone have any recommendation for a good starter set, and any suggestions about brand. Are they all truly interchangeable? Eventually we would like to expand the set significantly and build or buy him a train table, so we want something that would offer us that opportunity. Thanks!

sarsah
03-15-2003, 10:53 PM
We have Brio, Thomas & Little Tree (Target brand) of wooden train sets and yes, for the most part they are interchangable (some of the Target train cars are too big to go under the bridges, but that's the only problem we've had).

For an 18 month old, you may be better off getting something like the Fisher Price Toots the Train or Flip Track Road & Railway -- those are better for younger children -- and hold off on getting a wooden train until he is at least 2 1/2. My DS will be 3 in May and is just now able to play with the wooden trains without constantly taking the tracks apart and not being able to put them back together which is frustarting for both him & us.

Sarah.....

raynjen
03-18-2003, 07:07 PM
We bought our daughter the Target brand of wooden train sets when she was 14 months old. It is significantly cheaper than the Thomas and Brio brands but the quality is quite good. My daughter LOVED playing with the Thomas set that they had at our local Barnes & Noble so we figured it would be a good toy for her.

Well, it is a good toy - she had a lot of fun taking apart everything that we put together and vrooming the trains about (with or without tracks). Now at 17 months she is able to assemble the tracks and enjoys it even more. I anticipate that as she gets older it will be "better" used.

I am glad that we got a basic, cheap, set at first though. When she gets into it more we will invest in some of the cooler appendages.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

NancyH
03-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Would you consider just a train to start with? We found a toymaker in Williamsburg, VA who makes lovely wooden toys. Our son loves his "toddler train," since he can pull it by the string or roll it on the floor. He also likes all the "cargo" and passengers included. The toymaker, Jim, will also personalize the train for you. He can be reached at www.toanotoyworks.com.

AngelaS
04-28-2003, 07:23 AM
I have a Brio set for my dd. I bought it because the boy I used to nanny, LOVED his Brio train sets and we spent MANY hours building and playing.

For an 18 mo old, I would buy a very basic circle or oval set. Then over time, you can add to it--a tunnel, then a hill and so on.

Personally, I HATE the tables. LOL To me, they stifle the creativity of the track. You HAVE to make the train fit on that little space, you have to use tighter turns to make it fit and so on.

Whereas, if you make your train layout on the floor, once you have enough pieces you can make BIG loops and circles---big enough for your child to sit in and drive the train around himself AND big enough for you to step thru, so your entire room isn't blocked! LOL

The quality of Brio and Thomas sets is definitely superior to other brands. The Thomas trains are guaranteed, so if in a few years the paint's all chippped off, you can send them in and they'll send you NEW trains! Unreal... but true... :D