PDA

View Full Version : Leap Pad

DagnyT
07-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Hello. I have seen a couple of posts about Leap Pad products, but not much feedback, and nothing recent. I have a son who will turn two in a couple of weeks. He knows (most of!) his letters and his numbers 0-9. I am considering the LeapFrog products, but am not sure if I should go for the My First Leap Pad or start with the next level up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DagnyT

Sara
08-25-2003, 01:52 PM
DagnyT,

We have the My First Leap Pad for our 22 month old son and he loves it. I have the one that comes with the pad and one that is about numbers and he enjoys the stories and such. He knows a few letters and numbers, as well as his colors and shapes, but this still seems to challenge him. You might try them out in a store (I think Target has some set out to try usually) and see what the difference is.

HTH,
Sara, Mama to Nathaniel (10/01)

egoldber
08-25-2003, 02:29 PM
FYI, Costco now has a few LeapPad products available.

HTH,

mom2kandj
08-25-2003, 03:50 PM
DD has both the Leap Pad and the My First Leap Pad. She received the LP for her 2nd birthday and I think the stretch in age was a bit too much. We recently (in July) got her the MFLP and she really likes it a lot. I'm glad that we opened the MFLP first and taught her how to use it so that she doesn't ruin it or the LP.

At first, she was really rough with the stylus and was confused because it didn't write. Now, she understands that it is a pointing tool and that the MFLP just needs a light touch to respond. She likes the games and music, but does not yet understand that you can use the stylus to point at words and read the text. She has a hard time taking the MFLP book off and then flipping it for the additional pages of the book. Being a toddler, she does get fixated on a certain page and its activities.

I'm glad we did use the MFLP first and will start using it with DS when DD starts using the LP. BTW, we bought an additional book for the MFLP and have yet to use it. We'll probably open it in a month or two when she needs a change from the basic book. We also purchased the Leap Pad Learning Desk ($19.99 @ Costco) for DD's 3rd birthday.

Rose
mom 2 Katie (32 months)
& Jack (16 months)

elfling
08-27-2003, 04:49 PM
I've seen the Leap Pads in the store and not really been impressed.

Instead, you might try to find an old computer, even an old laptop computer. An old pentium (win 95) or mac will run most of the classic children's software titles, and you can probably find one that someone's got collecting dust somewhere.

There are some really great titles out there - my favorites are Grandma and Me (4 languages) and Dr. Seuss' ABC.

redgus
08-27-2003, 11:44 PM
hello,
my 28 month old loves my first leap pad, she entertains herself for quite a while with it. she got it for her 2nd birthday but has only recently really gotten into it. as an aside, if you decide to try kids software, look for reader rabbit toddler. my daughter starte using it at about 20 months and in no time was able to recognize shapes, colors and also all the letters in the alphabet. dr seuss's abcs is also good, but my first vote goes to reader rabbit.
diana