PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!

Tripple_E
07-18-2003, 12:55 PM
I have a beautiful, loving little 2 year old that is about to drive me completely out of my mind! The terrible twos have not "arrived" she's always been a bit more high maintenance than other kids, but now, they are here w/ a vengence. Anyone have ANY books that they can reccommend for this over stressed mom before she jumps off the GWB? THanks! :)

momathome
08-10-2003, 09:14 PM
The Girlfriend's Guide to the Toddler Years is a pretty good book on toddlers. It is a bit more casual than other books but it does offer some good advice and insight on toddler behaviors. Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be!
-Lauren

bogglefan
08-25-2003, 02:35 PM
This is a bit belated and may or may not help but... often behavior problems in chidren (high maintenance, crankiness, grumpiness, uncooperativeness etc etc.) are related to sleep. A lot of kids don't get enough sleep and although they seem to want to stay up (of course who wouldn't) they should be put down a lot earlier. I see this with my own son. When he starts getting high maintenance I move his bedtime earlier and his behavior improves. A great book on this is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Weisbluth. You have to take it with a grain of salt because he is a bit of a sleep nazi but I love this book and reccomend it to everyone.I hope you or someone may find this useful.

raynjen
08-28-2003, 12:01 AM
I like "The Strong Willed Child" by Dr. James Dobson, this is good for the child that is just that - strong willed. For the child that might be described as tempermental, negative, picky, or shy and clingy I would recommend "The Difficult Child" by Dr. Stanley Turecki. While the first concentrates on those children who are stubbornly oppositional by nature the second is aimed at managing children whose problems are based in their outlook. For example it talks about kids who are over sensentive to light, sound, touch, smell, or taste (the child who cannot stand to have the tag in the clothes, or smell bananas in the morning) and it gives actually solutions to common problems.

I have used both and reread them several times since my 22 month old started crawling. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)