PDA

View Full Version : Dress up box

lums123
08-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Now that our 2-year-old is trying to wear our shoes, make "bralellas" (umbrellas) out of our hats, and put on our shirts as coats, I think having a dress up box would be a fun thing. Unfortunately, we lost everything in a fire before our son was born, so we don't have a lot of old stuff around for one. We also don't have local extended family closets to raid. I'm thinking the Salvation Army or Goodwill might be a good place, but I haven't gone yet because these days if I can't do it online, it doesn't get done.

(Also, our son has eczema, and has gotten at least one not-so-common fungal infection from hand-me-down clothing. I still am glad for it, but now I only use things I can bleach first. That leaves out a lot of the great "costumes" to be had at Goodwill.)

Any suggestions? I think Oriental Trading Company has some inexpensive costumes, but at this age, our son seems more interested in investigating things that are "real" as opposed to being made just for kids.

redhookmom
08-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Last year I went to a few local stores and bought lost of nice costumes for very little money. If you are still looking come November...

Jessica

SeekerMage
09-08-2003, 11:55 AM
If you can wait to buy some things and possible save them as Xmas gifts one great thing to do is hit all the stores after Halloween.
I know Target and Walmart always have a huge selection and after Halloween is over they have everything 50 to 75% off...sometimes more. You can get fun things like fairy wings, wigs, even full costumes for pennies.

I also know that Walmart and Target have a lot of girls dress up outfits. Walmart has the best prices and selection. They have sets for about 10$ that include things like shoes, crowns, gloves, skirts etc. I do know they also carry disney princess dress up sets as well as just generic dress up outfits. Im not sure about boys dress up, that I think you have to go more to Toys R Us for.

If you are wanting to look online...why not try ebay? You might be able to find a lot of clothes that the kids can use for a decent price, perhaps not as cheap as goodwill but will save you a trip to the store. That and just let them use their imaginations...bandannas and paper towel tubs make an istant pirate etc. you can also check your local library for dress up ideas and costume books....with Halloween just around the corner I know our library pulls these types of books out and has them readily on display! Dress up is soo much fun you just have to use your imagination!

mamahill
09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
When my sister turned 6, my aunt gave her a dress-up box and it was the best present EVER. She used contact paper to cover a regular cardboard box, and filled it with a few items from the local thrift store (for girls it might be easier since anything can become a dress). Our favorite was the pair of high heels - they were probably a woman's size 5 so they were still big on us, but not a lot of demand for that size. You could probably get a couple cool belts, and who knows what else. Thrift stores are amazing for what you can find. Have fun! In another year I'm going to start working on Ainsleigh's box!

(oh, and that box expanded to 3 giant drawers full - we were famous. even for high school homecoming skits, everyone came over to our house)

SeekerMage
09-11-2003, 01:39 AM
EEp....I just realized that you posted your child was a boy and here I posted more for a girl...sorry about that!

You mentioned Oriental Trading magazine...I have gotten several projects and things from there and have been pleased so it might be worth trying it. As far as the concern with his skin....have him wear clothes underneath, if anything some long johns so his skin is protected. The overall best place though is all the stores just after HAlloween....heck even now a lot of places are having sales on their costumes...Joanne fabrics have theirs on sale right now if Im not mistaken...and things are soo cheap like eye patches, hats etc that you could put something great together for him for pennies!