PDA

View Full Version : Play Kitchens: Wood vs Plastic

Bridget Jessen
08-27-2003, 02:59 AM
Hi, got a question for ya'll. DH and I are slightly at odds over the playroom. I got a used (off ebay) Little Tikes Country Kitchen while DH was on deployment for DD. She loves it, however, I wasn't thrilled with the aesthetic aspect of it. So, I looked around and found the Step 2 Lifestyle kitchens and fell in love. So many cool sounds and stuff to play with, very well thought out. Her current kitchen's only sound is a "ding" when she opens the microwave door. The Step 2 is at least green and tan tones, which goes with our color scheme in most the house. I was worried about price (they range from $130-$199), but was surprised when DH said he didn't mind the price as much as the fact that it was too much plastic, too gaudy, too big, and just plain too much altogether. He then said he'd rather see a wooden play kitchen in the playroom. He likes the scale better and likes the heirloom quality to it (fears the plastic will look dated soon). He mentioned that he liked the wooden kitchens at Pottery Barn Kids, but wasn't thrilled about the pink color used on the trim since ds (6 weeks old) will eventually be using it. I actually thought it was pretty cute too, but am having a hard time letting go of all the cool features the kids could play with on the Step 2 ones.

The overall look is important to DH because in the future, as in the past, we may not be able to close the door to the toys. We used to own a small home in San Diego and had the toys in the open in the family/kitchen. We have sinced moved to Phoenix and currently we are moving into a large 5 bedroom home that will have a den which will be dedicated as a playroom. However, we will only own this home for 2-3 years and then be transferred again (DH's on an exhcange tour with the Air Force, he's a Marine). So, we might be back in San Diego again, in which case we might be struggling to buy a 3 bedroom home again. If that happens, and we don't get a 4th bedroom, the toys will be back in the family room or living room again.

So, should I jump on his band wagon of wooden set, or wear him down for the cool features of the Step 2? Will the kids even care? DD is coming up on 2 1/2 years old and DS is 6 weeks. I do want something gender neutral that will hold their interest as long as possible.

Step 2 Lifestyle kitchens:

http://www.step2.com/index.cfm?stp2ssid=73DB9AB9-B6B5-4E55-93C5BD97B604257D&action=details&category_id=1000&subcategory_id=1024&product_id=1283

http://www.step2.com/index.cfm?stp2ssid=73DB9AB9-B6B5-4E55-93C5BD97B604257D&action=details&product_id=1218&category_id=1000&subcategory_id=1024

Like: Overall colors, cool features and sounds, like moms (microwave), has plenty of storage for items
Dislike: Size, plastic

Pottery Barn Kids:

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?age=KID&gnd=A&pg=1&pcat=PLATCH&lst=dPLATCH-AKID&cmsrc=&grp=1510775&itm=g1510775&src=shpaKID%7CcPLATCH%7Cp1%2FshpaKID%7CcPLA%7Cp1

Like:Size, wood/heirloom quality, classic, cute white retro look, refrigerator has ability to put magnets on it, oven door has nice large viewing window and opens downward like real oven, clock, cupboard has cute gingham curtain and hooks for cups (though dh says this piece may be too much as far as space...I want it for storage)
Dislike: Would have to paint the pink parts (to antique red, blue or green probably), would have to replace the pink gingham curtain, DH dislikes 3rd piece that has shelves, clock's second hand is pink even if do repaint (very minor)

Land of Nod:

http://www.landofnod.com/landofnod/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Land+of+Nod+Version+1&product%5Fid=110325&site%5Fmode=mode%5Fmain&area%5Fname=Girls&category%5Fname=Girls%5FPlayroom&subcategory%5Fname=Girls%5FPlayroom%5FFurniture

Like: Size, wood/heirloom quality, classic, cute white retro look, refrigerator has ability to put magnets on it, cute red gingham curtain and hooks for cups, color parts are gender neutral (red), DH likes size and style slighly better than PBK
Dislike: The way the oven door opens from the side (not downwards like a real one), maybe too small for my liking (not enough storage...maybe could put small shelving nearby though)

What do you all think? Which one should I get for the kids? Thanks for your input in advance...

Bridget

SeekerMage
09-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Wow, such a decision!

Looking at all the websites they are all really cute kitchen sets! Personally though, the price just kills me! That is just me though as we are on a tight budget. Angela has a three piece set that is the step two, a very simple set with no "cool" features. It has a refridgerator, sink and dishwasher and stove and oven. Hers doesnt make any noise or have any "cool" features and she loves it. I got the whole set at a garage sale for 18$ too and it looks like brand new. She doesnt care about things making noise and the cash register that she has which does make noise is more an annoyance then anythign!

Personally I dont think that you need all the bells and whistles, I think those are more appealing to the parents then the kids. If you are going for looks then both of the wodden sets will make a great playroom, however, think of the damage and such they are going to get with lots of play. You have to think about chipped paint, crayon or marker marks that might come along the way etc. Also, you want to check how sturdy of a wood they are made out of, is it just fiber board or solid wood? How strong are the hindges as they might decide to sit on the open doors etc.

Another place you might want to look is Ikea. THey have a really cute wooden set, no bells and whistles but its nice and sturdy and will go well with any decor. Out of the ones that you have chosen I tihnk that I like the Land of Nod one...if you are looking for wooden.
As far as storage is concerned, a big rubbermaid container or small wooden toy chest or shelves will work well for all the food etc. If anything look for a little child sized pantry, or a small cabinet with a door that they can use as a pantry for all the food and dishes. I can guaruntee that unless your kids are neat freaks you will have food and plates and such all over the place, or just shoved in a box as they play. None the less they will have lots of fun no matter what. If you want all the cool noise making features, check out Fisher Price and little tykes? Not sure which brand exactly, just head to your nearest toy store and go to the play food/kitchen isle. They have tons of cool gadgets like toasters that pop up and ding, coffee makers that bubble etc. I also know that Walmart has a line of toys in their generic brand that are great. Angela has the cash register set that makes all kinds of noises. This year they also have a toaster which dings etc and a cool microwave. All which come with a small selection of food. THe great thing is too that they run in price from 10-15$. The quality is good too, we have had her set for well over a year and its still like new.

Also, as far as scale is concerned, Angela's set is small scale and not really tall, however, she doesnt mind, it certianly doesnt stop her from playing. Size really isnt an issue as it comes to kids, its just a matter of if it fits in your space or not.

I guess mainly you have to know your kids. Do they like all the noise making devices? Do they make them on their own and like to use their imagination? Do you want them to just making things up as they go? Also if you dont mind spending the money, then I would say physically go and look at the sets and not rely on looking online if you can. What might look great on the web is a whole other story in the store. For the price and the fact you want it to last I would really look at the toys in person if you havent.

Just my two cents though. I would love to get either of the sets, they are all great looking and look like a lot of fun to play with. Just trying to give you another point of view.
Happy shopping!

mom2kandj
09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
We've got the same Step2 3 piece set and we like that it is SILENT! It has enough features(knobs, tray in DW, etc) to make it like mom and dads! Our kids "help" us in the kitchen and then they play in their kitchen, too. I love the heirloom look of the wood, but the plastic is easy to maintain(hose off in the yard), appropriate for outdoors, and can be found for a lot less $$. We frequent thrift stores, garage sales and consignment shops for our larger toys.

If you do want the wooden set, go for it! Just make sure that your child plays with it! We have learned that if we give our kids too many toys at one time, some great toys just don't get the attention they should. We often find some terrific toys for cheap in our area because people just give their kids too much! Just my 2 cents! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

lukkykatt
09-08-2003, 10:20 PM
There is a really nice kitchen in the Back to Basics toy catalogue. They don't have a website yet, but you can see all the products in their catalogue if you do a search on the BB Lounge. I already bought one on a really good sale (holding it for Christmas) but I was sad when I saw the one there. If your hubby isn't giving you a hard time about the price, then I would go for it!

raynjen
09-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Bridget,

I too LOVE the Step2 set. We are stationed in Okinawa (reverse of you - DH is Air Force, but he is working with III MEF G4 here) so all we get to choose from is what the BX carries which is TA DA - Step2. I understand about having the plastic out in the family room, happens to us all the time in our teeny-tiny apartment, but, as you pointed out, the Step2 is in very neutral colors. Plus, you may not go back to San Diego - you could end up at Quantico or even Okinawa! My DH hates plastic too, but given the price choice I KNOW he'd go for the Step2!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Tondi G
09-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Just a thought to throw into the mix..... I was at IKEA and they have a wooden kitchen set.... you might want to check that out!!!

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&categoryId=10463&langId=-1&parentCats=10107*10210*10463&pageNumber=2&chapterId=&cattype=sub

Good luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01.... who adores his cheap hand me down plastic kitchen that makes no noise aside from his "beep beep's" when he is pressing the stickered buttons on the microwave! If it were me I might just keep the one I have for a while and if you end up moving back to SD then check out your options then.... if your kids even want a kitchen then!

AugBaby
09-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Last Christmas we purchased a plastic kitchen for dd. Then, a week later Costco got in the three wooden pieces by Battat for $40 each. They are red and natural wood with some blue highlights and black burners and knobs. I thought about not having all the sounds that the plastic kitchen offered but realized, as someone else mentioned, that I only wanted that because *I* thought it was cool. Kids are so imaginitive and sometimes those bells and whistles get in the way. We returned the plastic kitchen and bought the wood.

We don't have a play room and have dd's kitchen in a corner in our living room. While it isn't what I'd choose for my living room furniture, it's not bad as far as kids' toys go. Much better than plastic all around, in my opinion.

Do you have a Costco by you? They only have the kitchen sets around Christmas. Ours just recently got the plastic one but still no sign of the wood one yet.

lmintzer
10-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Has anyone purchased the wooden oven/sink combo by Small World Toys? I saw it in a store the other day and thought it was quite nice looking and would work well for either gender (natural maple-color wood with red trim). I was able to find it on line for roughly $150 total including shipping, which didn't seem too bad. You can also buy a separate fridge (in natural with green) and microwave (natural with yellow), but I am thinking the oven/sink combo might be enough playspace. There is a sink, counter top space, oven, and cabinet under the sink that could be used as a play dishwasher or play fridge as well as a storage cabinet.

Just curious if anyone has considered this option. I saw the new beautiful natural/blue/stainless play kitchen in the PB Kids catalog recently, and although I love the look, it is (IMO) ridiculously priced at $399 for the set!

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Little Brother-to-be, e.d.d., 12/15/03

pamela mom of 3
10-21-2003, 12:27 PM
We're going through this too. We have an older little tikes country kitchen, while it offers no noise play it does have a microwave, fridge, stove, dishwasher and a little table BUT here is why it needs to leave lol

*huge..60in long, we don't have a playroom it lives in my girls room since our sons has the train table.

* the doors are a major PITA to open! the fridge and microwave are fine but the rest are even pesty for me to open, they always have been, little tikes even replaced the doors with some that had molded in lines to so-call aid in opening them..yeah well nice try still no help. My 2.5yo doesn't even try to open them anymore.

We are going for a more basic wooden set, i'm in Canada so our choices are different but anyhow why we are going this route is..the kids mainly play with the stove, they do not need lots of noise and buttons it isn't really needed, the fun of that tends to wear off for them anyhow in time. Plus i want something with more user friendly doors and i like the look of wood better!

Toy kitchens are great even my 7.5yo still plays with them but simple is best with them, well in my opinion :)
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

muskiesusan
10-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Just an FYI, TJ Maxx tends to carry alot of Small World Toys around Christmas. I picked up the microwave you refer to for $8 on clearance there after Christmas!!! It is very sturdy, and even has a turn table. The kitchen set we have is also from Small World Toys, but not that style. I also picked it up for $25 on clearance. Here's a link. http://www.smallworldtoys.com/Webvision?qid=productdetail&ItmCls=CP&ItmSC=XX&ItmNo=2408076&IsLogin=X&Login=consumer&Password=c99st8321&loc=productdetail

Nick loves playing with both of these items. This year I am on the hunt for a fridg! And, ITA about the Pottery Barn set, we played with it this week, but not worth that much $$$$.

HTH
Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

babyt
11-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I just saw that Pottery Barn added a blue red and white much more nutrual (boy and girl) set. It has a neat island feature that is different than the other ones. Here are links:

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=colaa%7Ccf801%7Cda%7Crcollections&pkey=ff801%7Caa&gids=k60

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/index.cfm?pgid=pk775&lid=16&cid=f801&area=col