PDA

View Full Version : Christmas toys for a 3 1/2 year old

SeekerMage
09-12-2003, 11:01 PM
We are stumped about what to get Angela for xmas this year. She has tons of toys, half of which she doesnt play with, and she has lots of clothes. Books are out of the question because we have well over 200. We are just not sure what to get her, let alone what to tell her four sets of family what to get for her when they ask.

She loves her baby dolls, playing dr...house etc so going off of that there are a few things. However, she has a kitchen set, a doll cradle and a shopping cart. What else is there to get? We would like to get her something special but Im just not sure what.

Any suggestions....any ideas where to look? She has a great imagaination and I would love to have things that feed that. She really isnt that interested in her leap pad and we dont like a lot of electronic toys that make tons of noise...HELP!

Any suggestions out there?

mom2kandj
09-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Is she into art? An easel and paints might take up some space, but it would definitely make her use her imagination! What about a puppet theater and some puppets? Maybe a playhouse? Does she have a bike or scooter yet? We also like the wooden puzzles that are like paper dolls in that they come with material so that you can change the "look" of the wooden puzzle.

Most of these things are on DD's list as we have lots of clothes, noisy toys, and books.

We are asking her grandparents to pick a "class/activity" that they would like to do with her and make that her Christmas present. For example, MIL wants to "Build A Bear" with DD. They are going to make a date before Christmas to have an afternoon together and make the bear. Then on Christmas, DD will get to open Grandma's present(the bear). My mom wants to do a painting class with DD and will give her some finger paints to open on Christmas and tell DD that they will be going to "painting school" together.

Just a couple of ideas...HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

raynjen
09-13-2003, 02:46 AM
Along the same lines as the previous poster, would they be willing to pay for classes? Maybe a session of gymnastics, ballet, or piano? Then for Christmas day she would open up a leotard, or ballet slippers, or a practice keyboard.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

mom2kandj
09-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Luckily the painting class offered by our city is $30 for a four week session. I figured that my mom would be spending about $40-50 all together! :) Better than her buying a bunch of toys that DD doesn't really need!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

August Mom
09-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Does she have a kid-sized table and chairs? I remember when I was little, I loved my table. I had tea parties and used the table, sat my dolls at the table (as well as friends) and had the neatest stainless steel tea set. I also liked to color/draw there and play with Play Doh. Just a thought. I also like the suggestions about classes/activities for grandparent gifts. Oh, and this is a toy, but does she have a cash register? That would go with the shopping cart. And, playing "store" was one of my favorite childhood activities as well and I found a cash register essential. :)

lesliehagan
09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Sounds exactly like my house! We've also got a 3.5 yo girl with too many things. I agree that the gift of an experience is a wonderful idea. This year we're asking grandparents to get her something like a zoo membership or an art or music class.

Does she have her own computer? For our daughter's 1st christmas, at 10 months, she received a computer (actually a hand-me-down) and by 15 months she could work the mouse by herself. She loves it! She spends an hour or so a day on-line visiting various children's websites. We've got it set up next to my workstation on an Ikea table and chair set, so her surfing is closely supervised.

The only really commercial item she'll be getting this year is a Barbie styling head. She's fascinated with brushing hair and putting on "lip gloss" (chapstick). It's not the best toy, but I know she'll really love it and it will save me from constantly being the unfortunate victim of a toddler makeover.

elf
09-29-2003, 04:48 PM
This may not go with her other interests, but my 3 year old just got a Fisher-Price Geotrax train set, and she adores it. Mind you, she is already into cars and trains anyway. But it is a terrific set, with lots of play opportunities.

The Little People are also great for play-acting sorts of fun. The Noah's Ark is nice because it has lots of figures and it all folds up to be very portable. You can buy two add-on paks of animals. At this age, it's great to have toys where you can build elaborate scenarios and act them all out.

You might also look at a fun toy box. These can be very special and are just the thing for a girl with too much stuff.

I think going with classes or a zoo membership is a great idea. Or, you can ask family to put money in her college fund if they feel they must contribute.

Finally, if there's really just too much stuff that she's just not going to play with, consider selling some at your local used baby store and/or donating some of the new things to Toys for Tots or similar. She is a little young for the concept, but soon she would be old enough to understand that there are other kids out there who would really enjoy a new toy.