PDA

View Full Version : Christmas toys for 18 month old?

nigele
09-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Can anybody give me suggestions for appropriate toys for an 18 month old? I want to start my Christmas shopping early!

TIA!

elf
09-23-2003, 06:53 PM
My daughter got a Mega-Blocks wagon at about that age. She has gotten a solid 2 years of fun out of putting things in it and pulling it around. Inexpensive, compact, and big fun. She plays with the blocks, too. :)

kbuckard
09-24-2003, 02:06 PM
i second the mega blocks. we have the dump truck.

the fisher price little people stuff is great. we have the barn and train and i've bought the garage and airport to give as gifts this year.

shape sorters, books, wooden puzzles with the knobs, we have a couple simple computer games my son loves (he's now 23 mos).

have fun shopping!
:) kari

Blue Jeans Mama
09-25-2003, 01:41 PM
I am looking for ideas too.

Here is a list of things my now 19 months old boy likes:

1. CARS any kind any type, small or BIG he LOVES them.
2. Puzzles. They sell this age appropiate puzzles at walmart they are like $3 or so. They animals or number, figures. He really likes them but it only keeps his attention for like 5 minutes he doesn't know very well how to turn the piece so they can fit but he recognizes the animal and the color or the figures and he tryes hard to make them fit LOL I help him most of the time with that.
3. Baby einstein videos. Specially the latest one because they use a lot of puppets he laughs at them. And now he is trying to repeat what they say too LOL
4. Balls All time favorites. He dad is teaching him how to catch his little football LOL
5. Stickers. I like does for whem we go shopping LOL Once in a while he'll out them in his mouth but for the most part he is OK
6. Painting. Any type with crayons or marker or finger paints HE LOVES them. They can be messy but what I do is I put him in his high chair with just his diaper LOL and then a put a paper with some tape around and I let him to hid mess (sorry, his master piece LOL)when he is done I wipe him down or take him straight to the shower LOL. BTW I have been mailing his pieces to our far away family LOL you know as present.
7. BOOKS. HE LOVES BOOKS. He can't get enough.

So there are my suggestions some clean and some messy ideas LOL

Cathy

AugBaby
09-29-2003, 01:53 PM
DD just turned two and we gave her a kitchen set for Christmas last year. It's definitely her most popular activity. She "cooks" every night in her kitchen while I cook in mine :-) I know thlat it's been very popular among the boys in her play groups too. Our kitchen set is wood with red and yellow and blue accents so it might be more appropriate for a boy than the pink plastic ones. I think that it's so popular around this age is because they see us cooking all the time and just love immitating. Learning Resources/Pretend n Play make great realistic food.

As far as Little People toys, I want to recommend the Noah's Ark. It has a lot of animals and you can open and close the ark. Of the Little People toys, it sees the most use. It's also portable!

The Learning Block Books are fun. Since you're just about to hit the word explosion, they'll be really fun to "read". There are 26 in the alphabet box, each with six "pages" with an object to each page.

We have a wagon with mega blocks, too. The wagon has been fun, but she doesn't play with the blocks that much.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

KUvsOU
10-17-2003, 03:26 PM
My son is just a few weeks older than your child.. So far, below is a list of what he will be receiving for Christmas:

Fisher Price Grow to Pro Basketball - I figured he could use it indoors this winter.

Megablocks - The one I purchased is in a rolling suitcase rather than a wagon.

Little People - He loves Little People so I purchased him the bus, Rescue Station and his Aunt and Uncle plan to by him the airport. If you have a Kohl's near you, I saw that they were 40% off this morning.

Disney Movies - We are adding to his Disney collection with the Lion King, Finding Nemo and Lilo & Stitch.

Happy Shopping! :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02