PDA

View Full Version : Art Desk vs. Kitchen Set

raynjen
09-24-2003, 08:08 PM
My MIL bought our DD an easel for her birthday, so now we get to pick between an Art Desk or a Kitchen Set. DH leans toward a desk. I like the IDEA of a desk better, but I think DD would use a Kitchen Set more. For those of you who have one or the other (or both!)weigh in with your opinion!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

sarasprings
09-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Based on my experience working at a daycare, both with get a lot of use. I know that doesn't help you. If it were my decision, I would go with the kitchen set because you think your DD would use it more. Maybe the desk could be a present next time.

redhookmom
09-28-2003, 06:21 PM
My first reaction is to go with the kitchen. Your daughter will still create art without the desk whereas playing kitchen is not as likely without the set. And, the kitchen sets are just sooo cute!

Jessica

AugBaby
09-29-2003, 01:42 PM
I'd recommend the kitchen set. DD really doesn't spend much time sitting. She prefers to stand and color/play. We gave her the kitchen set when she was a year and a half, and she plays with it almost every day and it's almost a year later. That's the most use of ANY toy we've invested in. I also think that the desk, while useful, just isn't very "fun".

We got a great deal at Costco last year right before Christmas. Each wooden component of the kitchen was $40. I'm not sure where the Costco is in Japan, but just in case it's close to you.....

raynjen
10-01-2003, 08:06 AM
"I'm not sure where the Costco is in Japan..."

LOL :) Okinawa has no Costcos, no BJ's, no Ikeas, not even a WalMart! I know its hard to picture, but.... We do have a version of Toys'R'Us, but they just don't carry large toys here. The Japanese are so used to having such small spaces that the idea of a large plastic item taking up the equivalent of a couch area is repugnant to them. Seriously, you just can't get the kind of stuff we are used to in the states. I'll be shopping at the Base Exchange for my daughter and they currently have a choice of Step 2 or Step 2 or - you get the picture. They actually have two or three different sets, but they are all Step 2.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

egoldber
10-01-2003, 02:28 PM
I would also vote for the kitchen set. My DD has an easel (that she adores) and a plastic kitchen set I got at my local consignment store for $20. It doesn't make noise and I like that. I just put some of my pans, potholders and utensils that I use very infrquently and she has a grand time! We have no art desk and I don't miss it.

HTH,

bjessen
10-28-2004, 07:46 AM
I definately would go with the kitchen set. My daughter started out on an older Little Tikes set I got off ebay (the Country Kitchen, very big plastic one). We sold it on ebay and bought the Pottery Barn Kids Metro set when we moved last year. I was going to get the Step 2 Lifestyle Kitchen (the exchange sells it), but my husband wanted a wooden one and the metro is the one we both agreed on in the wooden category. It goes with our other furniture okay and even though they have a dedicated playroom now, if we get transferred back to San Diego, or go to Japan next, we will have to have it in the main family room, and so, must kinda coordinate.

My daughter is now 3 1/2 and my son in 15 months. They both play with it daily. My son as already grapsed pretending to cook, drink and eat really well. Older kids that come over really enjoy it too. We are adding a dishwasher to the stove/sink and refrigerator set for Christmas.

The Step 2 products are great and I think the Lifestyle one is probably one of the better plastic ones for blending in to existing decor. I liked all the gadgets on it. They have 2 sizes in the Lifestyle and I have seen a new one at Toysrus that looks similar, but I didn't like as much. I think the exchange online had both Step 2 Lifestyle's at one point. And, I know our local exchange carries the extra pots and pans set.

Pottery Barn Kids doesn't ship overseas to my knowledge. However, some of the other wooden kitchen makers might. If you like a set other than the Step 2, but don't know how to get it overseas...check to see if someone can bring it from stateside who is moving over and doesn't mind adding it to their stuff. Or if someone is visiting and can travel light they may be able to bring it boxed as a checked piece of luggage on the plane (check box dimensions and weight w/airline standards). We've moved several bigger items that way across country. I think the box could be up to 50 lbs and then there was like a $25 fee, but if you got it on sale it might be a wash (other than dragging it to and from airport). When I flew over to see my husband in Tokyo several years ago mid-deployment one of the two other wives accompaning had baggage as big as a play refrigerator...well almost, lol.

Another thought, if Step 2 wouldn't be your first choice, but you don't mind it, just get it for the time your over there. If she uses it daily and you want to upgrade to a wooden one if you go stateside later, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on base to another family. A plus for the Step 2 is it is durable and does wipe up well when they try to sneak real cooking products in :)

Oh, one more thing. There is a portable wooden one (cooktop) by Melissa & Doug (do the wooden puzzles). That with a lot of accessories could also go over big. Have someone box and ship the PBKids blender, mixer, toaster, microwave, etc. I've also seen plans to make a kitchen online, but don't know if their is an equivlant of Home Depot in Japan (plus who has the time?).

Personally, I'd go for the Step 2 for ease though. It's cute and I think she'll use it daily.