PDA

View Full Version : Painting with toddlers

elf
09-29-2003, 04:38 PM
I really want to get my daughter an easel and some paint. I would also like her to have play-doh.

However, while I am not a persnickety clean-house kind of mom, I am terrified to bring either of these items into my home. The kitchen has tile but it also has really nice cabinets. I'm not sure that outside would work terribly well, either, since the tiles on the patio are getting old and are quite porous.

I even enrolled her in an art class, thinking my problems were solved, but the teacher seems to be sticking with crayons and markers (despite the course description).

Moms, any tips for making an area safe for toddler art projects? Or is my daughter doomed to crayons only unless I buy a house with a hermetically sealed art room?

luvbeinmama
09-29-2003, 11:47 PM
I totally know what you mean.

Can you put a sealant on your tiles outside? As soon as I have an outside patio area (soon!) I'll be setting up the paint out there. Otherwise, I have let him paint using his Little Tikes table with a vinyl tablecloth underneath (with strict rules to stay at the table with all paint). That requires a lot of supervision, but not undoable. I have done fabric painting projects (t-shirts) by covering my kitchen table & chairs with flannel backed vinyl table cloths and covering DS with an old t-shirt of DH's. Quite a project, but grandparents & dads (as well as the kids) LOVE the results!

Can you tell I love the flannel backed vinyl tablecloths as drop cloths?! They end up trashed, but I don't really use them for anything else anyway, and they are pretty cheap. Plus they are easy to clean up. I suppose this is the one area where I really do like vinyl! LOL!!

Playdoh is pretty easy to clean up as long as it's not on carpet (my problem).

sugarsnappea
09-30-2003, 06:46 AM
What about using watercolors? The colors won't stain and my toddler really enjoys being in control- where with reg. paint I am in control! LOL!

I haven't had any problems w/ playdough. It is a cinch to clean up if you use it on mats, or wax paper taped to the table.

Hope this helps! :)

egoldber
09-30-2003, 10:38 AM
I was also afraid of PlayDoh, but it just isn't a problem. Once it dries, it flakes off easily. She usually plays with it sitting at the table with a plastic placemat under it and it works really well.

Also, try painting with water! This works really well on construction paper.

And shaving cream is also terrific fun that is super easy to clean up. Remember that a little goes a long way!!

cara1
09-30-2003, 02:26 PM
When can you start doing this stuff? I know that at this age, DS will only eat the playdough.

egoldber
09-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Sarah really started getting into PlayDoh about 2-3 months ago. So probably after 18 months it becomes appealing. But we were coloring and painting around 14+ months. (And I'm using the word "color" VERY loosely....)

HTH,

luvbeinmama
10-01-2003, 12:32 AM
I think 18-24 months. The playdough itself says 2+. It does vary with the child a bit. DS is more interested in it now at almost 4 than he was at 2.