PDA

View Full Version : Play kitchen?

Rachels
10-21-2003, 10:53 AM
I want to get Abigail a kitchen set for Christmas. She saw one recently at a doctor's office and was just captivated. Are there any that you particularly like or don't like? What's a good price range?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

lukkykatt
10-21-2003, 12:19 PM
I got one on a good sale this summer and put it away for Christmas, so no testimonials yet. But I saw some beautiful kitchens in the Back to Basics catalogue that made me wish I hadn't gotten mine already. I think the prices are all over the place, depending on what you want.

Also, I picked up some great Melissa and Doug wooden food sets and an aluminum pots and pan set at Marshalls, so that is a good place to look for the "extras".

The last time I checked, Back to Basics didn't have a website, but someone posted the catalogue in the BB Lounge - if you don't get their catalogue but wanted to take a look.

pamela mom of 3
10-21-2003, 12:34 PM
I agree with the melissa & doug wodden food sets, we have some of them also, the cut up veggies and fruit, SO cute!

As to the kitchens themselves...i have found simple is best, despite our doors on our LT one being annoying it has no sounds, just basic and it has been more than enough in that department, i don't like the ones with all the batteries...

JMO :) ~Happy Shopping
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

muskiesusan
10-21-2003, 01:52 PM
We have one from Small World Toys. TJ Maxx tends to carry these around Christmas and I picked mine up on clearance in January for $25. Here's a link. http://www.smallworldtoys.com/Webvision?qid=productdetail&ItmCls=CP&ItmSC=XX&ItmNo=2408076&IsLogin=X&Login=consumer&Password=c99st8321&loc=productdetail

Nick plays with it everyday and cooks when I do.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

egoldber
10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
While the wood ones look nice, I honestly think the plastic ones are more convenient, easier to move and keep clean. But that's me. I also would try to find one without noises.

Costco has a Little Tikes kitchen set right now for $40 that is nice. Lots of features, but not too big. It does make noise, but only 3 not terribly annoying ones. My friend has it for her DD and she adores it.

I got mine at a consignment store for $25, its an older LT kitchen and it is perfectly nice.

HTH,

Kate O
10-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi Rachel -

I just picked up a Step 2 Little Helper's Complete kitchen (it's the second one shown on http://www.thetoyshop.cc/toyshop/toyfurn3.html ) second-hand, in excellent condition, for about $25 US. I chose it because they have one at the drop-in that DD just adores. The initial appeal seems to be the assortment of openable/closable cupboards to transfer things in and out of, and now she's starting to show signs of actually pretending to do "kitcheny" stuff with it.

If you get one used, I hear that Walmart has reasonably-priced sets of play food and play utensils to stock it with.

HTH,

KathyO

chemee
10-30-2003, 02:30 PM
I just bought the Little Helpers one mentioned above. I debated between this & the Lifestyle one. The Littles Helpers has larger compartments & only the phone makes sound. The Lifestyle has lots of sounds & pushable buttons, but the compartments are smaller. We felt the Lifestyle one was too busy. My son likes sorting & storing so the larger compartments of the Little Helpers are great. He's had it 4 days & he's already making water sounds while pretending to wash his hands at the sink.

I bought my locally for $59 but did see today that Target has it for $69 & free shipping.

sarasprings
11-03-2003, 11:23 AM
I had my heart set on a wooden one, but then I found a plastic one that someone was throwing out that they gave to me. It's an old Little Tykes one -- but the thing I love about it is that it is tiny (about 1/2 the size of the smallest ones I've seen in stores) which means it fits in our kitchen. It has been great having it there. We put the extra food, pots, etc in the cabinets in our island.

If you are interested in making one (we are trying to make Christmas/birthday gifts for DS), there is a simple one here:

http://familyfun.go.com/homegarden/decorating/feature/famf0902_proj_kitch/

mom2kandj
11-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Too cute! Now if I only had a playroom for the kitchen! LOL!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)