PDA

View Full Version : FP Power Touch v. MFLP v. Little Touch Leap Pad

mclark3
11-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Hello! I'm trying to decide between the FP Power Touch, the MFLP and the Little Touch leap pad for my daughter who is 18m. I would like a toy that she can grow into, and don't mind if she needs help to play with the toy before she can master it. My concerns are that she may outgrow the Little Touch Leap Pad more quickly, that she may tear the pages and be too young for the MFLP, that these leap pad products have received mixed reviews, and that she may be to young for the FP Power Touch. I'd appreciate any feedback you have! Thanks! Maura

KUvsOU
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
My son is almost 17 months and I was considering the Little Touch Leap Pad. However after reading all the bad reviews, I think I will hold off and buy the FP Power Touch when he is a little bit older. Below are the responses I received to my post on the Baby board regarding the Little Touch Leap Pad Learning System.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=10143&mode=full

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

MinnieMouse
11-23-2003, 12:31 PM
My dd turned 2yo in July and we have been dealing w/ the same dilemma for the last couple months. I looked at all of them. I quickly dismissed the MFLP because I didn't want to start with one system then have to totally switch to another. So then it was between the LeapPad and the FP PowerTouch.

We go to Walmart about 2-3x a month and I made a point of visiting the toy aisle with both of them each time and let dd play with them. Although I think she would "get it" in time...I don't like that you have to hit GO on each page w/ the Leap. The pen isn't an issue since dd has been using a Magnadoodle since she was 14mo (we are on our 2nd travel one and 1st Traditional one). The other thing is that the regular LeapPad starts at 4yo..and most of the basic books are geared a bit older than dd is quite ready for.

The PowerTouch has sturdy pages, no GO button to deal with and no pen. The only downside IMO is that it's new and there aren't many books available. There are more than enough for dd at the moment...but will it take off and will there be more available down the line?

Dd seems to interact more with the FP PowerTouch in the store. I think it may be a bit more user friendly. BTW..both of these are set up at cart level in Walmart...dd can use them just fine seated in the shopping cart!

I am realistically not thinking that dd will be using this at 8yo (the recommended top age for both the Leap and PT). Heck, both will technologically be outdated by the time our kids hit 5 or 6. Keeping that in mind dh and I decided to go with the FP PowerTouch. The books available are more than enough for dd to enjoy and they are all her favorite characters (Elmo, Blue, Dora, etc).

I realize that your dd is about 10mo younger than mine and looking back there is a HUGE difference in capabilities between 18mo and ummm ....28mo... sorry had to count :-). My dd is running, singing, talking up a storm and smart as a whip...surprises us every day.

Maybe it may be worth holding off until your dd's birthday?? I know I don't think my dd was ready for either the Leap or PowerTouch before then....and as I said I dismissed the MFLP very early on.

HTH

Christine

shishamo
12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I bought a leap pad for my then 3 year old son. he never played with it. On the other hand, my daughter just discovered it at 19 months, and pulled it out from the bottom of the toy chest. It is now one of her favorite toy. The GO button was a problem but She figured it out pretty quickly.

Sara