PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Toys Review

luvbeinmama
12-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Hi, just branching out over here from the review post in the Baby's Around the House section. Here are my reviews:

DS is 4 years:

Imaginext Pirate Raider: MAJOR HIT! DS LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this set!!!!!!! Wants all the other sets that go with this along with the castle and all the sets that go with it, too.

Playmobile Castle, Dragon set & extra Knight: MAJOR HIT! DS LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this, too!!!!! He plays knights against pirates, etc. REALLY GREAT for any 4 yo boys! Also wants the Viking sets.

3-wheel Razor scooter: Really likes this, can't wait to try it out on the road.

Lots of books: For my little bookworm, this is ALWAYS a hit!

Buzz Lightyear Jammies: Loves dressing up as Buzz at school, so, of course, this was a big hit!

Spiderman doll (bendable with suction cups on hands): Really likes this. Very cool toy.

All the kids (including cousins) got the CA License Plates with their names on them (THANKS DEBORAH R!!): DS thought this was really cool!

DD is 14 months. Here are the major ones:

FP Little People House (the big one that opens up): Really likes all the sounds, bashes the people together; of course, she won't get into playing with the people for a while, but a big thumbs up on this one.

FP Ready Steady Ride-on: DD LOVES this!! She walks it around by the front, or rides on and scoots around. BIG HIT!

Mega Bloks Tiny & Tuff Set: Marina: The jury is still out on this, but I think they will make GREAT bath toys!

There is another sounds & movement & play pieces set that is not FP Little People, but it is at Grandma's for a few more days so I'm not sure the name of the playset, will update later: Also a BIG HIT. She really loves buttons to push that make noise and make things happen.

Soft Cinderella doll: Too young to really get into dolls yet, will see. Probably will be a good toy later. DS wants to play with it.

Punching bag (the type that you blow up and there is a weight in the bottom so it pops back up after you hit it, I had one as a kid): NOT a hit at this age, DS (4 yo) really loves his, though!

That's about it.

newbelly2002
12-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Great idea! DS is just 17 months.

Xylophone: it's a small piece of polished wood with a hole cut out for a handle. The metal tones are beautiful and DS has had a blast getting some really nice music out of it. He likes to carry it around with him which is why I like it a little better than the traditional rectangular one.

Shopping basket (hand held): he didn't groove on the cardboard boxes of food but loves the metal basket itself. He has a couple of plastic bananas and I gave him an empty egg container and pancake mix bottle to put in it as well.

Rocking Elk (Ikea's version of a rocking horse): as it is his newest word (elech=elk/reindeer) this is great. It's a simple piece of red and natural wood.

Wooden selecta push toy with a small jumping jester: big hit, but then again it caused a temper tantrum in the store, so I was pretty sure about this one.

Books and a new musical CD: music is great, the books he's coming around to. He still prefers his old favorites.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

redhookmom
12-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Uvbeinmama,

I have a four year old boy as well. He received the Playmobile pirateship and island and it driving me crazy. All those little pieces with a 1 year old around. How do you handle it?

My 4yo also enjoys:

Treehouse (dollhouse for boys) with pulleys, bridge with trap doors, furniture, doll family. (I am having fun with this one too.)

Superhero action figures

His little sisters Fisher Price farm set

Baloon Blaster: These really cool baloons that you pump up and then let go outside. They fly really high and make a squealing noise as the air goes out. They are reuseable. There a few on top of the house as well as the neighboors house.

Karenn
12-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Colin is 18 months and the big hits around here were:

*Hoover vacuum cleaner that turns on and sounds like a vacuum. Colin's been cleaning my whole house! If only it actually picked up dirt!

*Little People Noah's Ark -This toy has definitely gotten the most use so far. He loves putting the people through the door on top.

Not getting the use I expected:

*Little Tikes Grocery cart- He pushes it around some, but if he's going to push something, it's gonna be the vacuum cleaner. Maybe when he's older.

*Little Touch Leap Pad- I think it's a little too complicated for him to use on his own right now, and sometimes the buttons are too hard to push.

luvbeinmama
12-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, yeah, that is a little bit of a problem. Right now he keeps them in his room, and her toys are in the living room (the nursery is VERY tiny, about 9x9'). So, since Christmas, DS has been spending the mornings ensconced in his room with the door closed for a long time playing with his new toys. I used to take DD in there and let them play together, but no more. Those toys really made his room off-limits for her. BUT it also makes him keep his toys in his room--he REALLY doesn't want her playing with them. So there are pluses & minuses. Another BIG plus is that I'm not hearing DD crying every other minute after being hit/knocked over/etc. by DS. LOL! ;)

myllam
12-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi,

DS is 28 months old.

*We setup the wooden train set our friends handed down to us
and he likes that. However, it doesn't get the use we thought
it would considering how much he loves playing with the
train tables at zany brainy (which is closing) and at our
local toys store. So maybe we need to get a train table and
make it more interesting (cars and bridges, etc.)

*MegaBlocks Fire Engine - he loves this! He loves all things
transportation related, so this was a big hit. He just
pushes it from room to room, and he puts things inside the
storage area.

*Playhut tunnels - he loves this as well. He crawls through
it, and has us put it around him so he can play hide and seek.

*Pretend Dr. set - also loves this. Currently he likes giving
us shots, says "oh oh boo boo" then puts a pretend bandaid
on it :)

*Little Tikes workshop - we didn't really set this up yet, but
he does not seem very interested in the picture on the box at
all. When we opened his presents, he insisted on opening the
ones he wanted, so we think this just doesn't look interesting
to him at this time.

*We had purchased the Little Tikes shopping cart, but that also
has sat there un-opened. Karen, do you think if the vacuum was
not around, Colin would play with the shopping cart more? We're
trying to decide whether or not we should take this back to
the toy store since it hasn't been opened.

Monica

Karenn
12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
You know it's funny, right after I posted about DS not playing with the shopping cart as much, we moved it downstairs to the family room, and left the vacuum cleaner upstairs. Now that the shopping cart is away from the vacuum, it's getting all sorts of use! If I could just get him to stop charging after the cats with it, we'd be set!

pamela mom of 3
01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Well let's see...My son is 3

*Little Tikes Rugged riggz cement mixer
http://littletikes.com/toyfinder/default.asp?URL=/toyfinder/products.asp?category=3&C=CAT

Great toy, he really likes it, of coarse he luvs truck to start with but what is nice with this one is the soft rbber wheels and all the rounded edges, perfect for indoor play plus i bet will be fun in the sand box come summer.

*Shopping cart can't recall by whom but it has a removable basket and front swivel wheels. Another hit but i knew he loved it already since i have had to pry him off one in the toy store ;) It even came with food so that enhanced the play too. The girls 5&almost 8 also enjoyed this toy

*Brio bob the builder charactors, these are built very closely to the trains except of coarse in the muck, scoop, dizzy, lofty etc..what's nice with these is they will run even on the "normal" trains tracks so they can combine with the tons of brio/thomas items he has already.

*Little tikes handi workhorse
http://littletikes.com/toyfinder/default.asp?URL=/toyfinder/products.asp?category=10&C=CAT
He really enjoyed this, he luvs to hammer and pound things, nice part with this one is it's not huge and easy to carry about

*Tonka toys fire truck, it's nice he luvs these sorta things however it has a zillion different sounds/lights which both DH & I swear were much more quiet at the store lol :P And the one part of the ladder that expands w-a-y up he can take apart, so i have to keep putting it back together x(

:)

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/fk/flowerkitty.gif[/IMG]