PDA

View Full Version : Help me with dolls! (please)

mamahill
02-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Ainsleigh has a small doll that someone gave to her. She absolutely loves it (as well as anything resembling a doll/baby) but it's pretty ugly. The think is mostly cloth except for the head, and it has that hair only on the front so as long as it's bonnet is on, it looks like it has hair, but then you take it off and it's pretty ugly. And she also sports a nice penmark from ear to ear. Ainsleigh has since learned we do NOT draw on anything except paper. Soooo, I'm ready to get her a better doll. And, since her birthday is at the end of March, that's when it will happen.

Here's my question - I'd like to get her a nice doll, but not too big. I've been looking at Bitty Baby, and wouldn't mind getting her one of those, if they're really that great. The Baby Annabelle dolls look just as expensive, but I don't care for the battery-operated feature. I guess I should list what IS important to me: eyes close, preferable no "real" hair, not too big (no more than 18-20"), able to change clothes. I want a nice doll, but not too expensive (and by that, I guess I should clarify that I don't mind spending up to $50 for the doll and the first outfit, but not more than that and preferably less).

Ainsleigh will definitely be getting a stroller since that is what she makes a beeline for whenever we are at someone's house where there is a doll stroller. So a doll and stroller, those will be her only presents from us. I don't care about extra clothes right now. My mom is a very proficient seamstress and she has already volunteered to make the doll a couple outfits, as well as a quilt to match the one she made Ainsleigh, and a pillow (see pillow obsession in the bedroom forum). So I don't care about a bunch of extras.

egoldber
02-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I plan to get DD a Bitty Baby for her birthday. One thing I like is that since it is such a popular doll, there are LOTS of patterns out there to sew your own clothes.

FYI, we got an extremely inexpensive doll stroller at Target, and I have also seen them at TRU. My DD really adores this stroller. She likes to hang her bag on the stroller handles just like I do! :) I also see them at TJ Maxx and places like that occasionally.

ETA: Currently she has a couple REALLY cheap plastic dolls from Target. One is Bitty Baby sized and one (OK we actually have 3, since they were in a package of 3/$5) is super small and we use it in the shower. I wash DD and she washes her doll. She does like these cheape ones just fine.

HTH,

mamahill
02-17-2004, 05:38 PM
See, this is where I wonder if we should wait until she is older to get her the Bitty Baby, and find something else smaller for now. I would love to have a doll she could take in the bathtub. I've also thought I should get one that I can use to help potty train her. I had an all-plastic one that I got when I was 2 that I took everywhere and it had eyes that opened/closed. Most of the all-plastic ones I've seen don't have the closing eyes any more. Maybe I'll check out Target. I'm not opposed to getting her a cheaper doll, I'm just sick of the half-head of hair thing. It really creeps me out. But then, so do clowns and mimes. I supose it's something *I* need to deal with - LOL!

And I'm definitely going to just get a cheap stroller - no Chicco baby buggies!! it will be for in-home use, only, so I don't see a need for anything more than what I've seen at TRU or Target:).

Thanks for the ideas - I'm really obsessing way too much about dolls (trying desperately to avoid doing taxes)...

raynjen
02-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Noelle LOVES her bitty baby. She (Noelle, not the baby) is very small for her age and has no problem carrying her around. We have the stroller, a couple of outfits, and the tea set. The stroller and tea set both have gotten a lot of use, both with, and separate from, the baby.

I have been VERY happy with the quality of both the doll and the accessories (the stroller survived Noelle climbing into several times before we could convince her that it was for baby only). A friend of mine was over and commented on the awsome quality of the tea set in particular (almost like a melamine type plastic).

One recommendation, and this would be true whatever you get her, take everything out of the packaging before you wrap it. In other words remove all the ties and twisties and cardboard that make it sit so prettily in the box. I did this with her Birthday gifts and she was able to play with them immediately. I didn't do this with her Christmas gifts and she had a meltdown after each toy was unwrapped (since we had to take them away from her to assemble).

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

P.S. I attached a photo of Noelle playing with her doll...

egoldber
02-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Noelle is so cute! Can I confess that I am "priming" DD for Bitty? We got an AG catalog before Christmas and periodcially we "read" the catalog together! :)

Here's some pictures of Sarah and her Target doll and Target stroller:

raynjen
02-18-2004, 08:20 AM
I have to say that if we were in the states right now I probably would have gotten Noelle a less expensive baby to "start" on. Not that I regret buying the Bitty Baby at all...

We knew we would have to find something that A) everyone could buy - Grandpa who only shops online and Great-Grandma who likes paper catalogs B) would ship to APO addresses (military) and C) had lots of variety within the "Aunt" price range - $25 and under.

American Girl definitely suits us for all of these reasons, and the quality, as I said before, is outstanding.

BTW, Sarah is adorable, such the little lady, its hard to believe that she is only 2 months older than Noelle...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

emmiem
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
corolle has some beautiful dolls that are called Poupee dolls. Just sized right for a toddler. Clothes are easy to change and the best part, they don't smell like vinyl! They have a slight vanilla scent to it. Try better childrens stores or Liveandlearn.com.
Michele

mamahill
02-18-2004, 12:40 PM
First of all - how CUTE are your girls?!?! And not to knock boys, but isn't it soooo fun having girls?! eeek! Ok, so questions:

1. Jen - how old was Noelle when you gave her the Bitty Baby? What kind of stroller do you have?

2. Beth - ok, not so much a question as a giggle at Sarah's hat and dress-ups - they're great! Thanks for the smile - I'll be laughing all day:).

mamahill
02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Oh nooooo - those are GREAT! Do you have one? Which one? Ugh, the only problem is deciding which one I would choose - they're all so cute (and one with a swimsuit?!)! Thank you (I think...)!

emmiem
02-18-2004, 04:19 PM
We have Loli, the one with dark hair and tan skin. My DD was born in Guatemala so I like to find dolls that are not blonde and blue eyed. She loves it!
Michele

raynjen
02-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Sarah,

We gave Noelle her Bitty Baby for her second birthday. She had been "mothering" her stuffed animals for a couple of months already: tucking them in, feeding them, etc. so we knew she was ready. Like you I have a problem with bad hair on dolls (seeing the scalp gives me the creeps) so I really liked the idea of the molded in hair.

The stoller is American Girl (Bitty Baby) as well. My parents bought it for her birthday too ($34, not what I would have spent if we had a Target to shop, but it IS good quality). Another thing that I found I really like about American girl is their sale page - you can find outfits they are discontinuing for as much as 40% off. Nothing at all wrong with the outfits, just last year's styles!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

egoldber
02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Sarah, you're too kind. You'll note that I neglected to attach the photos of when she dresses ME in the hat and scarves. ;)

mamahill
02-19-2004, 12:39 AM
LOL!! I LOVE it, Beth! And do you have tea parties?!

And Jen, Ainsleigh has been mothering anything with eyes for months now. It's hilarious. She tucks her spooky-haired baby, her over-sized Elmo, and Curious George into her Infant-Toddler Rocker along with a red cloth napkin she uses for a blanket (don't even THINK about putting it away), but also doubles as a bonnet, before naps and bed time. Ok, now I'm thinking more about Bitty Baby again... Oh the drama! Good thing I have another month;).

loewymartin
02-19-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm glad you started this thread. I bought Alia a Bitty Baby last fall when they had some great sales, but I've been keeping it for her 2nd birthday in May. I have since purchased a few outfits on sale as have my folks. So Alia will be getting a doll and many outfits :-) I can't wait to give it to her, as she is totally ready for a doll. "Big Elmo" (that Elmo from TRU from Christmas time that you bought $x and got Elmo) has become her baby. He is diapered, and sits at her table and chairs to eat.

I had a hard time deciding to spend that much money on a doll. But, I asked some friends and their daughters (at ages 8 and 11) still love their Bitty Babies. They have since graduated on to the bigger AG dolls, but both wanted additional outfits to Bitty Baby for Christmas as they still play/dress them. That convinced me.

My mom purchased a few patterns for Bitty Baby outfits too. Also, most craft fairs have *tons* of AG clothes both for the bigger dolls and Bitty Baby. The sales section of the AG site is pretty good. And if you get on their mailing list they will let you know when things are going on sale. Just be careful of buying on e-bay. Many of those outfits are going for *more* than they originally sold for! But if there's a discontinued outfit you just "have to have" you can look there.

I have to say - I really think I'm going to enjoy the Bitty Baby just as much as Alia :-) I'm looking forward to playing with her like I remember playing with my mom (and having tea parties with my dad :-)).

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

mamahill
02-19-2004, 06:10 PM
A SALE?!?! Doh, that would seal the deal. As it is, you've just about pushed me over the edge. I think we'll go Bitty. I've been watching eBay, too, so thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely get on that mailing list - thanks!

Oh, and Ainsleigh loves her gigantic Elmo too! But it's so big!!

christic
02-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I just had to join in the girly doll talk!

I wanted to second Jen's recommendation that you release the doll from the packaging before wrapping it for your daughter. Attached is a picture of my daughter Alice on Christmas morning frantically trying to feed her new baby while she's still tied down!

And a funny story...my husband had what he thought was a brilliant idea to take Alice to Target to pick out her doll, which he would then simply take away from her to wrap up for Christmas. I was in the kitchen when they got home and as they drove up to the garage I just saw Alice in her carseat with her new doll propped up in its box right in front of her. She played with it in its box for hours after she got home and miraculously agreed to take her nap without it. He managed to hide it then, but in a closet she can open so she kept finding it and immediately start feeding and caring for the poor thing, all while still in its box. It did finally make it under the tree, along with the doll from the picture which was from her babysitter. After they were both free from their boxes Alice decided they should live together in her new tunnel, and they stayed in there for days...with frequent feedings of course!

I'm beginning to question what sort of twisted mothering skills I'm passing on to her...?

Chris

brubeck
02-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Chris I love that picture! Your daughter looks so much like mine and I could see my DD doing the exact same thing!

How cute!

Of course my daughter hates dolls (hence I'm not joining in the girly discussion) and prefers to drag her Buzz Lightyear around everywhere. I got her a Barbie for her 3rd birthday and all she does is undress her. although Barbie's connection to the Toy Story 2 movie does help somewhat with her appeal. :)

sugarsnappea
02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
We got DD a BB for her new baby present. It is definitely a hit. One thing worth mentioning- the doll w/dark brown hair/brown eyes/lt.skin actually has black hair. I was trying to get the doll that most closely resembled my daughter and this one didn't. :)

egoldber
02-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Oooh. That's the one I was going to get. Hmmm....

Kimberly H
02-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Another vote for loving having a girl!

Except right now it's all for ME as Mia doesn't like stuffed animals and throws her dollies on the floor or pushes them away. She won't even sit at the same end of the playpen as her doll.

So much for spending mega $$ on getting good quality Asian baby dolls from Corolle, LOL! Oh, and the Asian Cabbage Patch bathtub baby from Australia, and...

I refuse to believe she won't play with dolls eventually, especially since I just picked up a doll stroller at KB Toys for 50% off because they're moving to the new mall next month.

I just wish the Bitty Baby they recommend to me for Mia looked more Asian. Rats.

mamahill
02-20-2004, 04:17 PM
oh my gosh - my heart melted!! And that picture is adorable! DH wasn't too thrilled that I thought it would be perfectly fine to go Christmas shopping for Ainsleigh's toys WITH Ainsleigh. I assured him it would be the last year, and it will be since she just about broke down IN the store because we wouldn't let her get the dollhouse out.

Thanks for the untying/unwrapping advice. I hadn't even thought of that until you ladies here recommended it. I'm all for that!

mamahill
02-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. I think I'd go with the blond, although I'd PREFER a red head. Apparently red-headed baby dolls are few and far between. Then where did these red-head BIG dolls come from, I ask?! lol.

starrynight
02-21-2004, 11:33 PM
It is really hit or miss but occassionally big lots has little doll stroller's for $5, very similar to the ones sold for #10-15 elsewhere.

As for dolls, we have a few cheapie's from target and the px. I will get both girls nicer dolls when they are a bit older. I have 2 AG dolls from my childhood they can have eventually. My grandma wouldn't buy me one until I was like 12 so I would take care of it LOL.

ismommy
02-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Bella has quite a few babies as she calls them. Some cheap ones from target, a lissi doll that I got a good deal on - she is the same size as a bitty baby. she also has a bitty baby that we have not given her yet - it was a pressnt when she was born and I have been keeping it in rsersve for a meltdown day.
For her second birthday we got her a Gotz doll - brown hair brown eyes- since she had been brushing my hair alot I thought she would like a doll with hair. she had no interste in her so I put her in the closet for when she is older.
The gotz doll I found online for a good price- I think 30 - I was told by a dooll store they are great dolls becuase they are completely washable.
The lissi dolls I have seen at TJ Maxx, Daffy's and other places like that. I have also hear good things about chou dolls.
What I was told by an older mom is that madeline dolls clothes fit on bitty baby. So when I see them at good prices I buy them. For us it works well because she has madeline, lissi(same size as bitty) then the gotz doll and bitty baby and we only need to buy one size clothes.
Also I think someone mentioned the peeing baby - I got one for bella at toys r us and I really regretted it. Bella was constanly wanting to give her a bottle and she needs to be right over the toilet when held right up or she leaks everywhere. Since I don't like spending that much time in the bathroom the peeing baby is kinda a pain.
Also Sara - I am pretty sure that gotz makes red haired dolls.
HTH
Helene

mamahill
02-22-2004, 09:08 PM
OH MY GOSH! Those Gotz dolls (which I hadn't heard of before) are ADORABLE. They have such sweet expressions on their faces!! And they do have the perfect red-headed doll. A quick search at eBay shows I can get them there for a pretty good price ($45 - I saw them retailing for $54 - where did you see them for $30?!), but I'm thinking I'll hold off on the "big girl" doll for now. But thanks for the advice about interchangeable clothing. Hadn't even thought of that, but I am now! and I'll definitely rethink the peeing baby since I'd rather not spend the better part of the day in the bathroom, or cleaning up leaks (from my child OR her doll;) ). Thanks for the advice on the other brands - I think I'll head to Target, Ross, and TJ Maxx this week to scout what's available.

Thank you!!

ismommy
02-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Glad I could help. I got Bella's doll at www.a2ztoys.com I got her the maxi muffin which is the same size as bitty baby. I went to the website an didn't see any redhead maxi muffin's - I think I have seen them though. and there was this redhead
http://www.a2ztoys.com/Goetz/Precious_Day/90453.html
I had seen maxi muffin in a store for 50 and just thought she was so sweet looking that I ( mean bella ) had to have her.
Even my DH who is not a doll fan admits she is a very sweet doll.

I have also seen gotz dolls at TJ maxx and Tuesday morning./ Thuesday morning is another great place for doll shopping.
Bella is addicted to dolls - we could get rd of every other toy except for dolls and doll related toys and she wouldnt care.
Good luck with the hunt.

khakismom
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Nana bought Kathleen a Corolle doll for her first birthday. It's the Calin doll and is about 12 inches and smells so sweet. She has no hair, but eyes that open and close. This is the exact doll she has:

http://www.liveandlearn.com/corolle/calinandminiset.html

She LOVES her baby (it's still named "Baby"). Ever since she got it, it goes everywhere with her. Since then, we've bought it some clothes (like 2 Corolle outfits, the rest at Target or TRU), a dipe bag (Nana picked up the Corolle one for Christmas) and a few strollers for it.

Nana will be getting one for Ellen for her first birthday and this is the one I am eyeing:

http://www.liveandlearn.com/corolle/calinlaugh.html

And how sweet is this face!

http://www.liveandlearn.com/corolle/bebedo.html

Needless to say, we LOVE the Corolle dolls. Be sure and let us know what you get for Miss A! :)

loewymartin
02-24-2004, 02:46 PM
It sounds like Gotz decided to stop manufacturing the dolls in December 2003. So they may be scarce soon...just wanted to mention it!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Sarah,
this might have been mentioned but Tuesday Morning has wooden doll strollers, high chairs etc... for dolls!!!! on discount...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mamahill
03-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Oooh, thanks! I'll check that out. Bitty is on her way, and I've got a friend working on a couple wardrobe pieces now that she isn't working as much...;)

juliekost
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
These can be found at TJ Maxx too! I love the smell and feel of these dolls.

Julie
Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02

mamahill
03-16-2004, 06:44 PM
I just thought I'd post that I did end up buying Bitty Baby. It arrived yesterday and is gorgeous. DH said, "Why is that doll $40?" and I handed him the doll and said, "Feel her." She is a nice weight - not heavy, just a good feeling. I love her molded hair and eyes and, well, everything. I only got the doll since a friend of mine is making a few outfits for her. Mostly, though, I just wanted to give her a nice new doll for her birthday. For now, Bitty is in the closet (I've already untied her so removing her from the box should be seamless), where she will stay until our family party in a week and a half. Woohoo!

Kate888
03-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Yay! Congrats on the new doll! Please give us a update when Ainsleigh meets the Bitty Baby :) Is the body/limbs soft or hard? Maya is more interested in her Elmo, Cookie Monster and Ernie than her plastic baby. I'm wondering if a softer doll will make her attend to her baby more...

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02