PDA

View Full Version : Do magnets really not work on a stainless refrigerator?

Hallie_D
02-19-2004, 01:50 PM
We are moving in two weeks to a condo with stainless appliances. I was very excited about this (love the look) until a friend told me that magnets don't stick to stainless refrigerator doors. Is that really true? DS is just getting to the age that I thought it would be fun to get magnetic letters--plus he does many "art projects" in school that I currently display on the refrigerator.

Does anyone have a stainless fridge? If so, what did you do--get a magnetic board, or just not use magnets?

OK, maybe I'm just nervous/overwhelmed because we are buying our first place, but this whole magnet/no magnet thing is really upsetting me! I had so much fun playing with letter magnets on the fridge as a child...I did see the suggestion to get oil drip pans so children can play with the letters anywhere, but I'd hate to have to tape up DS' pictures, especially since he loves taking them down and putting them back up while I'm cooking.

Thanks!

egoldber
02-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Well, we have a stainless dishwasher, and magnets definitely don't work on it. It also shows a ton of fingerprints. Its a beautiful look, but rather high maintenance.

But you can always get a magnetic board and hang on the wall and use that instead. :)

houseof3boys
02-19-2004, 02:53 PM
We have all stainless appliances and NO magnets! We have a magnetic board that I thought about hanging in the kitchen to put stuff on but I actually love the clean look of everything in there.

Stainless shows tons of prints so you will either get used to the prints or get obsessive and clean ALL of the time.

For art projects, you can always buy frames and just rotate what's in them. Sounds like great kitchen art to me. :)

raynjen
02-20-2004, 09:17 PM
They also now have "magnetic paint" that can be tinted to match your wall color (or any other color) so you can create a magnetic wall, or door, or cabinet (maybe the inside of the pantry ?). We are planning to do a chair rail of alternating sections of chalkboard paint and magnetic paint at our next house.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Hallie_D
02-23-2004, 12:53 PM
OOh, cool idea! We bought a child-size table and chairs at IKEA and planned to paint the top of the table with chalkboard paint, but I'd never heard of magnetic paint.

The kitchen is open to the dining room and is set up in a way that there is no kitchen wall space (except the backsplash area) because it is full of cabinets. The dining area of the room is solid windows. I do like the idea of putting up magnetic paint on the inside of a cabinet. Otherwise I guess we'll have to go with the magnet board on the fridge.

Thanks everyone!