PDA

View Full Version : little tikes workshop preference?

polkadot14
03-02-2004, 11:11 AM
i would really like to get my son a little tikes workshop for his second birthday, and i have seen 2 online:

http://littletikes.com/toyfinder/ProductsFull.asp?sku=4201&category=10

http://littletikes.com/toyfinder/ProductsFull.asp?sku=4146&category=10

i haven't seen either one in person, and although i'm sure the quality would be great, i'm not sure which workshop would be better at keeping his interest. any opinions? if you have experience with either of these, i'd appreciate hearing about it!

thanks,

kelly

sugarsnappea
03-02-2004, 03:09 PM
We have #2 and the pediatrician has #1. If I could change my purchase I probably would buy #1. But, #2 is much smaller and space was an issue when I purchased it. #1 workshop has a lot more accessories and the accessories are battery powered action accessories. The only battery powered accessory we received with #2 was the light, which is a definite hit.

Another thing to consider is more than one child can play at a time on workshop #1. When DD has friends over, only one child can hammer on her workshop and this always makes somebody upset. :)

raynjen
03-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Hmmm, I was going to say just the opposite! We don't own either, but our church nursery room has both and the kids love #2. While I will say that #1 appealed to ME more, #2 has a lot more hands on activities. The one side is a workshop, but the other side is the 'outside' of the workshop. On the 'outside' you can use your tools to 'install' shutters, a board onto a fence, a window box, and a faucet.

The coolness factor IS lower, and there are NO interactive sound (wait, maybe that is a plus ;) ), but as far as I can tell there is more to DO. Maybe we have some pieces missing from the #1 that is at nursery school (I know the batteries have all been removed).

Deb, what do you think?

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

edited to add:
P.S. on both of them the little 'hooks' for hanging up your tools end up scattered about the place. You might consider gluing them on, or, that might be a reason to get #1 (ample storage drawer)

sugarsnappea
03-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Argh- my post disappeared!!

Yes, I am sure the battery operated accessories wouldn't last too long in my house! I wasn't aware that the #1 didn't have the hands on activities that #2 had. We have had workmen here for the past 3 months,and JG loves imitating them by hammering away at the fence post. The hands on activities are great for toddler dexterity.

Thankfully, I haven't had the problem with the hooks. We have had the workshop since JG was about 18 months.

I did have to buy some extra accessories to go with our workshop. I think I bought a slide rule, wrench and extra screwdriver.

I purchase ours at Walmart the day after Thanksgiving for $35. While we enjoy it, I don't think I would shell out $60 for this toy. :)

MelissaTC
03-03-2004, 07:37 PM
We got the two sided one for DS's second birthday...it was $15 at Wal-Mart last month on clearance... For the price, I figured we couldn't go wrong...my DH likes it because of the "home improvement" side...he wants to play with him...

polkadot14
03-04-2004, 04:27 PM
i'm so mad i missed it at wal-mart!! $15 is a steal!

thanks for everyone's input. i think either would ultimately be fine for my son, i guess i'll see which one i can get for a better price, and then potentially add some extra tools if necessary.