PDA

View Full Version : Any good computer programs for toddler/preschooler?

Jeanmick
03-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Hello all!

My DH and I set up our extra computer in the family room for our DD and DS's use. We've got Jumpstart advance toddler, Elmo preschool and a four pack of games I bought at Costco (Blue's clues, Putt Putt, Bob the Builder and Clifford). They're okay, but I wonder if there are any other programs out there that are a MUST HAVE.

TIA for any input you may have. :)

brubeck
03-16-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't know about MUST HAVE but we have tried a few different todder/preschool software packages and the best one consistently seems to be Reader Rabbit. Best of all, you can get it VERY cheaply at the smart-estore. Most of the titles are free and depending which one you only pay $3 to $7 shipping. Here's the link to the $3 shipping titles:

http://www.smart-estore.com/default.asp?storeid=403897&c=WSMS086

Reader Rabbit Toddler is great for getting kids used to the mouse (no clicking required) and is great for 18-30 month olds. Reader Rabbit Preschool takes it further and is good for 3-4 year olds.

Also, try out the free games online! Sesame Street has some good ones at www.sesameworkshop.org and PBS has some too. I have also heard that there are some on the DIsney site. Be forewarned that you need a fast connection to play.

redhookmom
03-16-2004, 07:56 PM
My 4yo would say Putt-Putt and Pajama Sam are must haves. Anything that seems like "learning" he refuses to play...

Jeanmick
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you Helen and Jessica for your input. After playing with the programs we do have, the top two games she asks for are Elmo Preschool and Putt Putt Saves the Zoo. I'll have to check for more Putt Putt games. I'll be sure to check on Reader Rabbit and Pajama Sam too. Unfortunately, the computer that our kids use is not hooked up to the internet (well...maybe that is a good thing :) ), so they don't have access to on-line games.

If anyone else has other suggestions on computer games, please share!