PDA

View Full Version : Question for families of Bitty Baby...

mamahill
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
I just opened our Bitty Baby and was examining the body, etc. (and Kate, if you're reading this, the limbs are "hard" plastic and the body is soft. I think it feels really cuddly, though) and noticed that around the neck where the fabric meets the plastic, there are two strings about 2 inches long. It looks like it comes from cinching the body around the neck (there's a knot). I'm just thinking that Ainsleigh is going to do who knows what to 2 long strings. Do I cut them? If so, will that make the knot less secure and then the head fall off one day? LOL - spooky! I'd email American Girl, but thought I'd ask here. Maybe if I snipped the strings right below the knot and then tried to tuck it into the body? I don't know - I don't want to spend good money on a doll and not get what I paid for. Help!

Kate888
03-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Sorry, no help here, cause we don't have a Bitty Baby yet. But I just want to thank you for describing the body of the BB. It sounds like a very nice doll. Ainsleigh is going to have lots of fun with her :) Nothing is cuter than a little girl and her favorite doll!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Kimberly H
03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Sarah, I remember one of my Madame Alexander baby dolls had those strings too. I *think* she's the one that later went headless so I'd definitely talk to AG and find out what's up.

sugarsnappea
03-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Kate,

You can check out JG's BB next week and the Kettler too! Don't forget to remind me. :)

mamahill
03-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Yikes. Thanks - I just emailed them. I wasn't sure if I was being too picky. I guess the least they can do is say, "It's supposed to be like that."

mamahill
03-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Wow, that was fast. Here's the reply...

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your e-mail. The string that you are referring to is what
we call the neck string. It is used to attach the head to the doll's
body. All of our dolls are made this way and the neck string is
supposed to be outside of the doll's body, not tucked in. Manufacturing
our dolls in this way allows us to easily replace the head and make any
other repairs that may be necessary. Most of our customers find that
the string can easily be hidden underneath the clothing of their doll.

Thank you for your interest in American Girl¨!

I don't really mind them, I just wanted to make sure they were SUPPOSED to be there. Off to wrap her up!

sugarsnappea
03-27-2004, 03:01 PM
My post disappeared regarding the strings. I heard this too. I know of some people who have cut them. :(

raynjen
03-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Sarah,

So glad you checked this out, I had noticed the strings on Noelle's baby when we got her and debated trying to 'tuck' them in or cut them off, then we dressed her in one of her new outfits and I forgot about them. Now when we change her I won't do anything drastic!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

loewymartin
04-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Sorry, I've been away and just saw this.

A friend cut her's and tucked in the end. Then Bitty's leg had to be repaired. When she sent it in for "medical treatment" she said if it couldn't be fixed Bitty needed to come back with the same head. And then she told them she cut the strings and tucked it. AG responded that most parents do that, and it wasn't an issue. I think I cut Alia's strings already (even though she won't receive the doll until her birthday!)

BTW - Bitty came back with the same head, just cleaned up and leg repaired. And in a hospital gown with a certificate that said she was ok to resume activities! I love this company - they really know how to deal with a child's concerns with sending away their greatest treasure.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02