PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Little People storage

Kimberly H
04-01-2004, 09:42 PM
So far, Mia only has the castle (new style) and some accessories and the ark and both animal sets and we're already having storage problems. She's yet to find out that there are barns and trains and stuff in storage for later!

We live in a small condo and use the Target shelves/bins for her toys in her room but space is limited there so I was hoping to keep her LP stuff in the living room. Right. Even less room out here and I think the greatest problem is no wall space to put stuff up against.

How do you store *your* LP collection?

loewymartin
04-02-2004, 04:25 PM
We have the Little Tikes Mission style shelves. The bigger pieces (ark, minivan etc) go on the shelf. The "accessories" go into one of the bins. Alia will go grab a firetruck and minivan and will pop open the drawer, grab a few people and start playing. I started off putting "everyone" away at night, but decided that I was spending more time putting them away correctly than she did playing with them! I've heard others buy the 18 gallon Rubbermaid containers and store everything in there. That way the bigger and smaller pieces can all be contained together (and you can rotate toys easier that way).

Speaking of - I haven't seen the castle yet. I'm off to Target to see what it looks like and maybe purchase!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

raynjen
04-02-2004, 10:18 PM
This is right up my alley, I am obsessive about orginization as you will see...

Well, we live in an apartment (less than 1200 sqft) and so I've developed several storage solutions.

First I use the HUGE Sterlite stacking drawer/bins in her closet. I have three sets of three in her bedroom closet with a thin piece of plywood across the tops so that I can put stuff on top of them as well. This leaves enough room for her longest clothes to hang free on the existing closet rod. The bins hold the majority of her toys sorted by type (train, baby stuff, musical toys, etc.) that way she can pull out one and have everything she needs (or at least everything I think she needs) at one time. To keep this orginization intact we have a one bin rule (only one bin out at a time). Inside the bins I use large ziplock bags and old wipes containers to further sort the toys (so each LP toy's accessories are in separate bags).

On the plywood 'shelf' I have some of the larger LP toys (the Garage and the Barn), two baskets containing socks and t-shirts/shorts, and all of her hair accessories (which are multiplying and soon will stage a coup). At one end of the closet I hung one of those canvas shoe holders (the ones that look like shelves, not the pocket kind) which I use for extra sheets, underwear, shoes, hats, and other misc. stuff.

In her room we have a bookshelf which contains books, a basket of tiny books, a basket of pretty stuffed animals, and her CD player. Her two windows both have 18" deep window 'seats' (I'm not sure if this is the proper term as both of the 'seats' are waist high). One of these seats has become her loft - it has a stepstool leading up to it, extra pillows, stuffed animals, and blankets. The other has more baskets of toys and her bin of legos. We also have a high shelf that has stuffed animals and breakable stuff (why do people give babies porcelain angels and crosses?) Finally I have a wicker hamper and a wicker laundry basket that has more stuffed animals.

We also have small baskets of toys in the living room under the coffee table - usually a coloring book and crayons. I have other stuff tucked in all over the place - playdough and paint in the dining buffet and games in the front closet!

I'll add some photos...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

P.S. I almost forgot she has a rolling tray under her bed for dress up stuff/make believe

redhookmom
04-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Jen,

Your reply is quite inspirational for me. I have printed it and WILL start in on DDs room tomorrow. What great organization!

(We keep the LP toys under the crib.)

Kimberly H
04-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Jen, you're amazing! I especially love your closet storage system. Have you considered a career as a professional organizer?

I'll attach some photos of Mia's room so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Her play space/wall in the living room is about 4 feet long and is between the corner where the TV and entertainment center are and the arch to the Carolina room on the other side.

raynjen
04-03-2004, 02:25 AM
I never really thought of myself as being MORE organized than other people. I come from a long line of, hmmm, what is the polite term, Type A personalities. Luckily, my husband is one also so we get along well.

I LOVE Mia's room color, lilac would be the color I would choose for Noelle (if I didn't have a husband who dislikes purple). Her first room was apple green and yellow - a bit brighter than we first intended, but pretty nonetheless.

Without seeing the living room it would be hard to say what you should use, but starting with the premise that you want a accessible but 'invisible' storage I would start with baskets. Generally baskets are inexpensive, can match most decors, are lightweight enought for kids to use, and 'hide' what is in them. If you have basic sewing skills you can make liners to match the living room furniture as well.

I'm looking at the Target kids room area and they have such cool stuff! I generally don't look there because they are very limited on what they will ship to APO addresses so most of this is a pleasent suprise.

If you'll post (or send me) some photos of the are you want organized I'll try to give some suggestions. You can be my first orginizational customer (pro bono of course :))

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

P.S. What are on the other two walls in Mia's room? I see a crib/window wall, a dresser/closet wall, a door/? wall, and a ?/crib wall. Is there anything where my ? are?

suribear
04-16-2004, 12:51 PM
We keep the big pieces (house, farm, etc...) out since we have a large playroom. All the little people and furniture, cars, etc... go into one plastic container. When they play LP, I take out that container and they have a ball mixing and matching sets :) I think it's great for their imagination! In the beginning I used to be obsessive about keeping sets together - gave that up ages ago :)

Kris