PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Early Books?

jpang
05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
One of our favorite books, a Lift the Flap book called Dear Zoo, was sent to us by a mom of three. Since then, I've wondered if the more experienced parents out there have any other suggestions for books for very young toddlers. (My daughter also likes Eating the Alphabet, but most other books have too much text for her right now. She can't speak yet and gets impatient if there's not enough to look at on the page. I think she likes Dear Zoo because of the repetition and the flaps with animals hidden behind them.) I've looked for other lift the flap books (found a version of the Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit that also had flaps) but so far haven't found very many.

Thanks for your suggestions!

mamahill
05-25-2004, 07:42 PM
A bunch of the 'Spot' books (maybe all?) are lift the flap. I think the author is Eric Hill. Ainsleigh loves "Jamberry" and "Where's Baby's Mommy?" Jamberry isn't a lift-the-flap, but the second one is. She also loves "Richard Scary's Best Word Book Ever" and any of the "My First ---- Book" (animal, word, etc.) books by Dorling Kindersley Publishing. They aren't stories, but they have TONS of pictures on each page and Ainlseigh's vocabulary has broadened because of it, I think.

Kimberly H
05-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Michael's craft stores have small lift-the-flap board books which we keep in the car and diaper bag. For $1/book, you can't go wrong! They're in the bins at the front of the store with the mini puzzles, crayons etc.

pamela mom of 3
05-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Since she likes alot to look at, why not pick up one of the I Spy board books ;) You can help "look" for things and as she grows she can join in the hunt even more.

I also agree with the spot book alot of lift the flaps in those...

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

egoldber
05-25-2004, 10:26 PM
My DD loves the Maisy books by Lucy Cousins (there is also a Maisy show on the Noggin channel if you get it...). There are several lift the flap books in the series. We especially love "Maisy's Big Flap Book".

HTH,

Jeanne
05-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Have you seen the Fisher Price Little People flap books? We have several - all purchased at Marshalls, Ross, and TJ Maxx. Charlotte loved these when she first got interested in books. They are full of flaps and color and not too expensive either. She was able to associate the pictures in the books with her Little People play sets. That really kept her interested.

She also loved books with had fabric in them. There's a book called "Kisses". It's very simplistic but she loved it!

darby24
05-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Another DK lover here.

The line of DK lift the flap books are great. Lots of pictures and plenty of flaps. We currently have; colours, counting and baby animals.

Of course his absolute favourite books are the DK my first series. The truck, farm and word books are very well used.

August Mom
05-28-2004, 09:32 PM
We're huge fans of the Karen Katz lift-the-flap books. These are often available at Marshalls/TJ Maxx and at buy.com for a good price. DS likes Where Is Baby's Mommy?, Where Is Baby's Belly Button? and Toes, Ears and Nose. We also like lots of the DK Publishing books, including the NFL series and the ABC board book. There are lots of things to look at and identify. Another good lift-the-flap book is the Little People Farm book. There are tons of flaps and cute animals to see. It deals with the concepts of counting, color, shapes and opposites. Dr. Seuss books are fun too. DS loves The Foot Book, Go Dogs Go and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?

jpang
06-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm off to go book hunting.

:)

redhookmom
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7030.jpg

I think the Chinaberry catalog is great: http://chinaberry.com/

JakesMom
06-16-2004, 02:31 PM
My little one's favorite book is called "Mouse Paint," by Ellen Stoll Walsh. She has a bunch of other mouse books but we haven't gotten them just yet. But Danny is obssessed and will place it in our hands several times a day to read to him... luckily, it's a cute enough little book that we don't mind!

JT

Erika600
06-30-2004, 08:22 AM
We also love those Karen Katz lift the flap books, as well as Sandra Boynton books and Eric Carle. DS's current favorite seems to be Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See? He wants that one read over and over and over!

amp
06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I realize this post is a month old, but thought I'd add our favorites!

DS loves Maisy books, including the lift the flap books

His other favorite books are part of a series of books. We bought a few of them at Marshalls at a great price! They are all called "Hide & Seek: Pets" "Hide & Seek: Jungle" etc. We have pets, farm, and jungle. There is also ocean, polar and forest, which we are still looking for.

He also loves all the touch and feel books by DK Publishing! We just got one of the DK lift the flap books (baby animals) and I think it's great, although DS hasn't had much chance to look at it yet since we just got it.

I also recommend all of the Priddy or Priddy/Bicknell books. They are fabulous, with real life photos of babies, toys, food, animals, etc.

There are also a couple Baby Einstein books he likes with real pictures of animals (Neighborhood Animals). And the Baby Einstein bath books.

KarenNYC
09-11-2004, 02:15 PM
I know this is an older post but hey I have one more book suggestion to add. Ryan LOVES (and I mean LOVES) The Wheels on the Bus by Paul O. Zelinsky. Everything moves and he loves playing with the parts and as he knows the song he "gets" it..... He cries for the buy and can sit for a good deal of time playing with it.

Karen