PDA

View Full Version : good ride-on toy for tall 2 year old?

polkadot14
05-28-2004, 10:33 AM
my son will be 2 next month and i would like to find a good ride-on toy for this summer. we have 2 on loan from friends - one is the most basic little tikes car (i can't find a photo on little tikes website, but it's very small) and the other is called (i think) super car by today's kids. my son loves them both, but his legs are really too long for either of them.

i've read that most kids don't have enough coordination for a tricycle until a little bit older, but i'm afraid that my son is too tall for many toys intended for his age.

i don't have an exact measurement on his height, but i think he's somewhere between 36 and 39 inches tall.

i would greatly appreciate any recommendations for ride-on toys that could accomodate my tall toddler! i'm entirely new to this stage of toddler-hood, so ANY advice will really help us out.

thanks!

kelly

pamela mom of 3
05-28-2004, 11:41 AM
My son can fit our cozy coupe II by little tikes...he's about 36/37in tall, pretty sure my 5 1/2yo can too she's about 42.5in tall but he's really the one who plays with them now.

What about a Kettler trike? you can get some with a wheel lockout so you can just push it, or you can try and see whether he can peddle..my son is older but loves his kettler trike.

After hmmm...we pretty much just have the cars, we found they were the most fun for foot power toys :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

polkadot14
05-29-2004, 12:41 AM
pamela,

thanks for the suggestions - i want to call little tikes after the holiday weekend and find out if the cozy coupe ii is the best for my son's height/weight, or if they recommend one of the other cars. i've seen several on their website that look good. do you think the cozy coupe ii is good for backyard, bumpy, grassy terrain?

i've been delaying even looking at the kettler trikes, since every post comments on their high price tags!

on another topic, i've been reading some of your posts re: mbud strollers, and i could use some advice there, too! we have an mbud which we love love love. i'm only lacking sufficient sunshade - i've been getting by with a blanket draped over the stroller, but that has it's drawbacks. at arunningstroller.com, i've seen both the mountain buggy sunshade and the protect-a-bub sunshade. do you have either/both? what is your experience?

thanks again!!

sarsah
06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
I have a very tall 4 year old (44" tall) and he fits in the Little Tikes Cozy Coupe II. He also has a Fisher Price Power Wheels Jeep that he got for his 3rd birthday and unfortunately he's on the tall side for it. He still fits in it, but I can see that by next year he's probably going to be too tall (which will be so sad becuase he really loves it).

Sarah.....mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

pamela mom of 3
06-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Well their ok on the bumpy grass etc...we live rual so mine go down the gravel drive ;) i mean their no all terrain thing but the kids have managed them about for years, but certainly call LT..their are always new products.

Kettler, yep pricey but very well built, strong and very adjustable...easy for kids to learn on also.

MBDU- i don't have either last year at the zoo i stuck with hats and we were fine but my kids are older...so their was alot of in/out. I would think the protect-a-bub or pepeny shade would be the most useful, my ds would freak if i tried the suncover...he tolerates the raincover but as soon as we are out of the rain he wants it off like NOW LOL...have you spoken with arunningstroller? I recall someone saying that they were told MB was coming out with a new suncover?...sorry i couldn't be more help in that area, i just have the sheepskins and the raincovers..i'm pretty accessory limited ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

lmladuke
06-10-2004, 11:37 AM
We have the Cozy Coupe for my DS. Bought it for his first b-day - he was not really old enough for it. He is now almost 3 and at least 36" tall - and he uses it alot now and fits fine.

It's ok on grass - not great, but it works. I think its a good buy for the price.

We have a kettler trike too that we bought for xmas. DS can reach the pedals but still has trouble pedaling - we push him on it using the push bar. They are pricey, but I must say, they are well made and can be pased down from child to child which was how was justified buying it. I am not a big fan of plastic bikes and wanted something substantial and safe...

Lori

polkadot14
06-18-2004, 02:52 PM
thanks lori, pamela & sarah! i appreciate your input.

i talked to little tikes, and they recommended a car toy without a top (i can't remember the name of it), but i feel like the kettler trike will really suit our needs better. they get universally good reviews, as far as i can tell!

kelly