PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide between 2 kitchen sets

cdlamis
06-02-2004, 07:29 PM
We want to get Julia a kitchen set. I have found 2 that I really like but they are very different.
Which do you think will get the most use? Anyone have a preference?
Thanks!

The first is a sink/stoe unit from Small World Toys for about $140.
The second is the kitchen center from Berchet for about $120.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7089.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7090.jpg

redhookmom
06-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Daniella,

The Small World one appeals to me. I like it because it looks simple. Wood things also appeal to me.

nigele
06-02-2004, 09:42 PM
I like them both but would probably choose the wood. Just FYI, be careful of the "oven" door - Tom played with a very similar kitchen and the oven door opened up and layed close to, if not on the ground. He would step onto it to get to the other side of the kitchen and I was so afraid he was going to break it. Silly design!

raynjen
06-03-2004, 12:49 AM
As if this wasn't confusing enough - I like the Berchet model. My DD mainly plays with the accessories and it looks like it has lots of those (okay, maybe that is a drawback for you). I think DD would use the whole set more if it was wherever mommy was. So, if you are planning on keeping it in her room I would definitely say the Berchet...

Just my 2 cents...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

egoldber
06-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Well, I lke the first kitchen better. I agree about the accessories being very important though. And DD also likes to mainly cook while I am cooking. She also likes to "cook" playdoh, so got these reasons, I like having the kitchen in a spot near the main living area of the house.

FYI, I found a used one at my local consignment store for $20. Its not the most attractive kitchen, but the price was rigth! :)

HTH,

pamela mom of 3
06-03-2004, 11:55 AM
I actually own the first one and we have the fridge and the microwave also.

It's a great set, VERY sturdy in case anybody decides to climb etc...doors are easy to open and the sink removing is very helpful, dunno what else to say...it's worked out great for our kids!

Good luck! :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

shishamo
06-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I have the first one from Small World Toys also (and a microwave). (and I also happen to have that wooden pizza set in the oven right now, just like the picture, too funny :)

My kids love it. The only downside I can think of is that the oven door is open/closed via magnet and Mia has a hard time opening and closing. It doesn't bother her that much, though. My 4 year old can do it with ease.

caleymama
06-03-2004, 05:16 PM
We have a different kitchen than either of the two pictured, but when we were deciding we considered one similar to the second one. It was more vertical than horizontal. One reason we decided not to get it was because we thought it might be "tippy" if and when there was another baby trying to pull up on it. DD is well past that stage but we wanted something sturdy so that any subsequent babies wouldn't be able to pull it over on themselves. I haven't seen the one you have pictured or the one we considered in person so I don't know if this is really an issue or not, but we thought that the vertical plastic might not be sturdy enough. FWIW, the one we ended up getting (http://www.gummylump.com/front/f_product.php?id=776) is a vertical model, but it appears to have a larger footprint and I think it would be very difficult to pull over.

MelissaTC
06-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I really like the first one. That would be something I could seriously consider purchasing for Matthew. It leaves a lot to the imagination...

lmintzer
06-10-2004, 03:50 PM
We have the first one for our son, age 3. He absolutely loves it. We got him a simple pots and pans set to use with it as well as the PB Kids coffee maker (so he can make mama her coffee, lol). We got one nice, small set of plastic food from Small World Toys, a cheap set from Toys R Us, and a nice wooden cutting food set by Melissa and Doug.

He loves to play restaurant with us--("Waiter Jack"). He always decides who eats what, and we always have to be the customers. Some restaurant, lol!