PDA

View Full Version : Another 3 year old birthday gift post - this time for boys

lmladuke
06-07-2004, 06:00 PM
DS will be 3 in July and quite honestly my DH and I don't even know what to get him - he has a train table and thomas train stuff (plenty of it) He also has a kettler trike, a basketball net, an easel and more trucks and firetrucks then we know what to do with. We have grandparents who like to overbuy and do not understand the concept of one toy is enough.

I really cannot think of much that this child needs. I have a few big tonka metal trucks that he can dig outside with which I have not given him yet, and I was thinking of a sand and water table for our back deck - he has a sandbox in the bottom of his swingset, but DH needs to clean it out (bugs - yuck).

We are having baby #2 right around the time of his DS b-day so I want him to have something special. DH and I also considered a ride on car (like a John Deere Gator) but think we may be better waiting until Christmas when he is that much older - since he still can't pedal his trike yet!

Also, is it rude to tell my inlaws "Here are a few SMALL things we would like for DS as he does not need much - and then suggest a practical gift - like a gift certificate to the bookstore, or clothing store? They always want to outbuy us and get some huge gift and we need to put a stop to it.

Any ideas?

Lori

pamela mom of 3
06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Well i can say the john deere gator is not that off for his age ;)

My son is a little older 3 1/2 next month and has been driving our gaucho & gator for a few months now.

My son also like the sand & water table set-up i splurged and bought the kids the step2 model with sun umbrella last weekend, it's great for kids who like little hot-wheel like cars...since it's got tracks set-up everywhere...the kids have had a blast with it! :D

The big tonka trucks are also great we have a few, we also have some of the little tikes model rugged rigs something like that with a nice soft rubber wheel for indoors, since i like the metal ones *outside* }(

Sorry i can't help on the inlaws, we're lucky if ours even remember we have kids x(

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

Thatchermom
06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Do you have a zoo or children's museum nearby that the IL's could give a membership for? MIL gave us a zoo pass for Christmas this year - while it is a big, expensive thing it is something for all of us and spreads throughout the year. It worked as a great compromise in our family.

lmladuke
06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
That's so funny, we took DS to the zoo a few weeks ago and he loved it - what a difference being almost 3 at the zoo versus being almost 2 last year when we took him. I said to my DH "maybe we should ask your parents to buy a family membership as a gift for xmas, with the new baby coming and not alot of need for toys it would be perfect"

Great idea (if I do say so myself :)
Lori

JakesMom
06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
I love the idea of the zoo/museum membership. Often they come with special Kid's Club type stuff, too.

I absolutely think it's okay to make suggestions to close family members whom you know are definitely getting something. Qualify your request with practicality... ie, "we just have run out of room for big toys," "he still plays with (____ thing they got him before) all the time," "We want to be able to read a wide variety of books with him," etc.

Best of luck to you!
JT