PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first -- the kitchen or the dollhouse?

redhookmom
06-10-2004, 12:05 AM
My dd's 2nd birthday is coming up. Well, it is not for a couple of months but I need something to obsess about.

For those of you with little girls which would you recommend getting first?

Thanks!!

AngelaS
06-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Funny question, but my dd got the kitchen at 2 and the dollhouse at 3. The dollhouse has lots of little pieces that are sometimes hard to fit just right together (we have the FP one). The kitchen she loved and still plays with with her little sister. The dollhouse is in the closet....

pamela mom of 3
06-10-2004, 11:39 AM
This is gonna be no help, but we got our eldest dd the house and the kitchen for xmas back when she was 2 :P

I think it depends, what is she more drawn too? some children perfer the dolly play others more the kitchen play kwim?

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

AugBaby
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Definitely the kitchen :-) We got dd the kitchen for Christmas at 1.5 and she played and plays with it EVERY day. We gave her a dollhouse for this past Christmas at 2.5 and she plays with it every so often. The same has been true for our play group. I think it has to do with modeling. They see you cook twice a day? every day and they love to copy what you do. The dollhouse is a little more abstract in concept. Have fun buying which ever you decide on!

kaitlinsmommy
06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
I agree (although I don't have any experience with it yet). I think my dd will be more interested in a kitchen & she loves playing with them when we're out (like at PBK). I'm planning to get her one for her 2nd bday. I also want to get her the LP Sweet Sounds home, which isn't really a typical doll house but it's only $30.

redhookmom
06-16-2004, 03:37 PM
A kitchen set it is then. Thanks for all of your input.

I can also obsess about wooden food, tin/wooden plates, cooking utencils...

(Whereas mine are all from garage sales!)

vikivoly
06-29-2004, 02:04 AM
I agree with the kitchen/dollhouse debate, go with the kitchen. But what about doll furniture? Toddler sized changing tables, strollers, high chairs, etc.. DD loves her Discover Sounds Kitchen and I think she would really like a kitchen, but she's REALLY getting into playing with her babydolls. All she has so far are the first baby dolls. She doesn't even have bottles or pacifiers for her babies. Her new toddler room (although not yet finished) isn't that big, so I don't know which way to go.

If it makes a difference, I'm expecting #2 in October, so expect she will want to mimick babycare even more.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I need to get to bed soon!

NancyP
07-02-2004, 12:27 PM
I agree with the Kitchen set first. I have two sons 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 and they have been playing with it for a 1 1/2 now and are still playing with it a lot. I heard this here aslo, they see us in the kitchen all the time and they really enjoy immitating what we do. I have found a lot of value and I have a nice looking one so I don't mind having it in the living area.

Nancy