PDA

View Full Version : Purging Toys

Karenn
07-11-2004, 05:18 PM
How do you do this? I have an easy time putting away toys that he's obviously outgrown. Where I get stumped is with toys that just don't get the play that they should. For example, Colin's had a sit-n-spin since his last birthday a year ago and rarely uses it. Is he still too young, or just not a sit and spin kind of guy? Should I throw it out? (translate: consign it or give it away) I can never make up my mind!

How many stuffed animals do you keep around? He doesn't play much with those either yet, but they take up a lot of room. Does he really need every one?

Do you have any sort of "if it hasn't been played with in six months it goes" kind of rule?

I'm OK at throwing out my own stuff, but I have trouble trying to thin out his! Thanks,

AngelaS
07-11-2004, 08:29 PM
I thin toys a lot! LOL My 6 year old's on to me. LOL Basically if something's not getting played with, it goes to the consignment store, Goodwill or into a box for a garage sale.

christic
07-11-2004, 09:09 PM
I guess the first thing we do is just move the toy to a different spot in the house but still leave it out. Sometimes that sparks new interest. If it's still not getting any action I'll put it away and maybe try again in a couple months. If its reappearance is unexciting then it goes in the attic...and sits! I'm kind of stuck on that next step too and have never actually sold or given anything away yet.

And we have TONS of stuffed animals but Alice does play with them quite a bit (feeding/diapering/pushing in the stroller) so they're staying.

We're due for a purge here too!

hjdong
07-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi Karen -

I store a lot of Jamie's toys in the garage. I've rotated them a couple of times. Normally, after a month or two in the garage, it's far more interesting than if it's sat in his room. It's also a great way to give me a break from a toy I can't stand anymore (i.e. tons of pieces which I find under the couch, in the pantry, in the dog food bowls, etc). For some reason, I get sick on picking up the same pieces - if I rotate to another piece filled toy, I don't mind as much. I've just started rotating with some friends as well. I got so sick of the, "So and so has this toy and Jamie loves it. He has to have it." So now, we switch (understanding that things may get broken or lost so we don't switch the precious toys) and then switch back again.

Some of the stuffed animals are about to get consigned to the garage as well; he also doesn't really play with them. I can't quite seem to get rid of them (with the except of the bear my FIL just brought down with the 1988 ski cap on) but they are definately taking over. I'm thinking if they sit in the garage for a while, I won't have such a hard time with it.

I am a huge purger, but it is harder to get rid of his stuff. Particularly since he doesn't really have any toys that are worn out (I mean, we've only had them for a few months). I can't stand the clutter however. Last night, I looked at the aftermath on the "no gifts please" party we just had and thought I might cry. New toys everywhere. Nice toys, toys he likes, toys that people who care about him put time and thought into buying, and toys he most definately doesn't need. Part of it for me is not just the storage but the unbelievable excess of it. I think at Christmas time we will box some of the toys up and give them to a children's hospital or something. Anyone know of a place to donate toys to like that? I don't so much mean Goodwill, but an institution that will get use out of them. I would mail them to his orphanage, but they would have to pay duty, a lot of the toys need batteries, etc. It's more hassle for them than a blessing.

I had been trying to decide what I was going to get for a party he had been invited to and after his party, I decided books. Most likely because I love books so much they don't seem like clutter to me and some other parent is probably going to be saying, "Where am I supposed to put yet another copy of _________________."

That was an awful lot of type for very little actual help. Sorry!

brubeck
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
I am a bad one to talk. I still own every toy the kids have ever played with. As Amy got too old for things I put them away for Andrew, but now he is 18 months and has grown out of a lot.

I kept these things aside thinking we might have another baby but now we know that we are done and there won't be any more. Andrew is (keep fingers crossed) moving out of his crib in a couple of days and so by the end of the month we'll have this crib that we can't store and a big Salvation Army donation is in the making. I'm already planning a run through the house with large bags taking anything that isn't really an attraction or is obviously way too young. I'm looking forward to it! :)

macassi
07-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I almost always give books for that exact same reason. If I don't give books, I try for consumables like crayons, markers, paints, bubbles, etc. If I really must get a toy -- mostly for the kindergarten age -- I aim for a board game or legos where it can become part of a set or at least be stored with little space and have some educational assistance.

sntm
07-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Holly, another good place to donate is lower-income daycare facilities. Our daycare actually takes toy donations for another daycare in a low SES neighborhood. Church/synagogue nurseries are another good place.

I just debate between keeping them for a someday #2 or getting rid of them now. We will move at least once before #2 -- do I really want all that to pack up? On the other hand, a lot of them are really nice expensive toys that are still in great condition. And yard sales around here, everyone wants the cheapie FP or electronic toys and wouldn't pay 50 cents for the nice Brio and Tolo stuff!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03