PDA

View Full Version : What Is a Colorform and How Does It Work?

August Mom
07-22-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm all intrigued with Colorforms and think we need some. However, I must admit that I really have no idea what they are or how they work. I gather they are some sort of reusable sticker-type idea, but I can't see them IRL. So, if we get any, I'll have to order on-line. Also, for those of you that have them, do you have any recommendations on brands or stories for a 2-year-old. DS is especially into all things sports and transportation oriented.

brubeck
07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't have any myself, but I played with them as a kid. I didn't even know they still made them!

Basically it is a thin sheet of rubber-like material. It adheres through static electricity to a laminated backdrop. Removeable stickers is a really good way to describe it, or perhaps rubber 'paper dolls' (if you remember paper dolls, which I also loved as a kid).

You don't want to give Colorforms to a kid who is still chewing on stuff. These are very 'chewable' (because of the thin, rubbery texture) and could potentially pose a choking hazard.

Now what I really miss are Presto Magics. They were special 'stickers' with a paper backdrop. You had to rub a pencil over them to get them to stick onto the paper. Each set cost about $1 and provided an hour or two of fun. They were our favourite travel game.

mamahill
07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Do you have a Target nearby? They sell them there. I bet they have them at ToysRus or similar. I just bought a Stawberry Shortcake one for Ainsleigh. I haven't given it to her, but she loves stickers, so I'm hoping it works to distract her for an hour or two (or three?).

August Mom
07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Where are they at Target? I was looking in the area with activity books and didn't see anything. That's good to know, though. I checked my favorite independent toy store and they acted like you couldn't get them in a B&M store. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to go back to Target.

egoldber
07-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Also try TJ Maxx/Marshalls. They had some with Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer awhile ago.

I got DD a cheap set from Target (it was a Dora one) and she really enjoys it.

HTH,

August Mom
07-23-2004, 12:12 AM
I was just at TJ Maxx and Marshalls and didn't see any. What am I looking for? I'm imagining it looking like a sticker book or magnetic book. Do these come in a box instead or what?

egoldber
07-23-2004, 12:19 AM
The ones at TJ Maxx that I saw were in a box. The box is long and recatngular and about 1 inch deep.

http://www.elearningtoys.com/univ70231.html

Target has some in boxes. But the one I got was in a small flat package. I got it because it was a good size to slip into a diaper bag as a handy toy for travel and restaurants. My Target has them in the same aisle as MagnaDoodles and Playdoh.

HTH,

lisams
07-23-2004, 02:26 AM
My Target also had them down the aisle with play dough and other art stuff in the toy section. They were sitting on a shelf. I got DD the Thomas The Train ones, she really likes them!

HTH!
Lisa

August Mom
07-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the tip. I spent a lot of time in that aisle the last time, but I wasn't looking for them there, so I'll try again.

egoldber
07-23-2004, 02:54 PM
FYI, I saw some box sets at Michaels today.

August Mom
07-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks, everybody. It looks like I can see Colorforms IRL after all. And, I think I remember these from childhood, but I'll have to see them first to be sure. I'm off to the store to find these! :)

nigele
07-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Barnes and Noble has a Wiggles Colorforms set in the children's section. It comes in a plastic package with a handle and was around $6.

August Mom
07-25-2004, 09:15 PM
You are all so smart and observant. I didn't see them at Barnes & Noble (although I could have missed them), but did find them at Target and Michaels. Target had a good price I thought, just under $4, with a Dr. Seuss set on clearance for $3.08. I did not find any Thomas sets or the basic shapes set, though. I think we'll try Dr. Seuss and then see if we want to open the Wiggles set or look for Thomas.

Thanks, everyone.

nigele
07-30-2004, 01:57 PM
I almost forgot to mention this until DS discovered it hiding in my closet waiting for a rainy day...I bought him a Colorforms Wiggles Floor Puzzle at Marshall's about a month ago on clearance for $5. We cracked it open today and it is awesome! The Colorforms pieces are a lot bigger than the ones in the Barnes and Noble set (my friend has that set.) They are 3-4" tall. The puzzle is the "sticky" board where you can place the Colorforms. Thomas played with the set this morning for an hour and a half - a record! He only stopped because it was naptime. He had a blast sticking the Colorforms in various places in addition to the puzzle board; windows, fridge, acrylic tv babyproof cover, etc. $5 well spent!!

mamahill
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Oooh, that reminds me - last Christmas I bought a couple sets of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (the claymation version) window stickers (but they were like colorforms and could be moved all over). They were a huge hit. I can't wait to get them out again! Oh, and I think I got both sets off ebay for about $4!