PDA

View Full Version : How do you store little bits and pieces?

egoldber
07-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Now that she is older we have lots of toys with little parts. Particularly, she really enjoys small sets of figures that go together. Like today at Target we picked up on clearance a Beauty and the Beast figure set and there are 5 tiny pieces that go together.

How do I keep things like this together?

luvbeinmama
07-30-2004, 01:29 AM
LOL! You don't! LOL!!! :P No, really, I TRY to put DS's little stuff in those plastic shoe & sweater boxes, but it only works partially. Of course, that could have something to do with how lousy a housekeeper I am, but I think it's next to impossible to keep track of all those little tiny pieces when he is always toting them around with him!

suribear
07-30-2004, 12:05 PM
You know those thick plastic/vinyl bags that come with toys/gymboree shoes,etc..? They sometimes have snaps for closure. I use those or any small bags to store the little stuff. If there is a larger collection, I get small plastic boxes. Even ziplocs will work.

Kris

sntm
07-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Gladware? Small, cheap, and disposable.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 13 months and counting

shishamo
07-30-2004, 06:57 PM
I keep all my old baby wipe boxes (and toddler wipe boxes) and use Sharpie to write/draw the contents outside (for example, K-nex, stringing beads, crystal climber, etc.). Even if you can't read, it's a great word recognition game, and the picture will help :)
You can usually take the cover off premanently so it's easy for her to access the toy inside.

christic
07-30-2004, 10:43 PM
a boring answer, but I've just been using zip-lock freezer bags. The ones with the little zipper would probably be easiest for little ones to open.

egoldber
07-30-2004, 11:14 PM
OK, I should have been more specific, LOL. I've ben using sandwich bags and small ziplock bags. But I have now amassed a rather large collection of small bags of toys.

What do I do with these????

lisams
07-31-2004, 02:22 AM
How about one of those clear/plastic over-the-door shoe organizers that has little pockets? Not sure if the pockets are big enough, but it would be nice to just shut a door and not see those little pieces ;-)

Not looking forward to organizing those kinds of toys! I still take time each night to make sure each animal is in the right place on DD's little people farm! It's a sickness!

Good luck!
Lisa

Momof3Labs
07-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Maybe sew up some drawstring bags for the different playsets? Then you could use a peg board or coat hooks to hang the bags when not in use??

christic
07-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Well I've seen this sort of thing at the library, kind of like a vertical file for bags of toys. I think it's just a clear plastic bin with cardboard dividers to separate the different bags, which pretty much stand up in there. You can kind of page through them to look at them. They've even labeled the dividers to help you find things. Seems a bit much for home use but if you're really into Dewey Decimals ;)...

It looks home made to me but maybe a library/school supply place would sell something like it.

Right now our plastic bags are in the top of the hall closet, but our collection is pretty small at this point.

ETA: And there's this for ultimate organization!